PDA

View Full Version : Nov 21st Presentation

rhoderickj
October 4th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Like Craig said in the other thread, we still need a few things for the presentation on November 21st (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarylandTeam/Events/Presentations/2007November21). As of right now, we still need to:

Find venue location and time
Contribute to the wiki page/presentation (I'll provide a link for this soon)
Pick speakers
Practice giving presentation with different speakers

phr0ze
October 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Location and time are set. I just don't remember it.

rhoderickj
October 6th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Location and time are set. I just don't remember it.

That's what I meant by "find." No one seems to know what it is. :)

ChuckFrain
October 7th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I should be seeing the guys on Wednesday night at the CALug meeting. I'll have the info posted after that. (Unless I can find one of their email addresses)

parma1
October 8th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Hey, is someone going to post the log of last week's irc meeting for those of us who were not able to tune in?

rhoderickj
October 9th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Hey, is someone going to post the log of last week's irc meeting for those of us who were not able to tune in?

I should still have the log. I'll post it tonight.

-- Josh

rhoderickj
October 12th, 2007, 02:41 AM
My apologies for the delay. I was having some hardware related computer issues yesterday but all is resolved now. I've posted the IRC log for the last meeting and you can find it here. (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarylandTeam/Meetings/2007October03)

parma1
October 12th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Ah ha. Thanks. As far as the presentation goes, there is no change (so far) to my original post, with the exception of Josh's tweak about the ability to re-use software (which is a good point). I'm going to take that not as a matter of non-interest (!), but as a reflection of original text's near perfection!

That being said, we should turn our attention to converting it into an Impress slide show. I have no experience in doing that, and will gladly defer to someone more competent. Who's good at that?

-Joel

rhoderickj
October 12th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Ah ha. Thanks. As far as the presentation goes, there is no change (so far) to my original post, with the exception of Josh's tweak about the ability to re-use software (which is a good point). I'm going to take that not as a matter of non-interest (!), but as a reflection of original text's near perfection!

I think you did a fantastic job with it, so I'd say that it is near perfect. Just in case anyone was wondering where the presentation is, you can find it here on the wiki. (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarylandTeam/PresentationsTeam/LinuxAdvocacy) I'd like to keep the outlines -- that is, the drafts -- on the presentations team's page. The finalized version will go under Events/Presentations. I just realized that this page was never completed, so I'll make this a priority this weekend.

That being said, we should turn our attention to converting it into an Impress slide show. I have no experience in doing that, and will gladly defer to someone more competent. Who's good at that?

I'm decent at it, but I can't promise a speedy turnaround. I've had a pretty fulll plate these past few weeks, but if I have some time this weekend I'll give it a go. Would anyone else like to volunteer to put together a draft Impress presentation using the presentation outline? Or, if you're a new member and are feeling too green to take on such a project, would you be willing to collaborate with me on creating the slides?

One question though: do we want all of that text in the presentation slides? I had assumed that key points would be extracted from the outline and placed onto the slides, along with some nice images and screenshots.

parma1
October 12th, 2007, 07:20 PM
The prose near the bottom of the page was my thinking out loud as to what I'd say to a prospect. It should be "bulletized" (if that's a word) for the slideshow, into statements maybe 4 or 5 words in length -- perhaps one statement per wiki paragraph.

That'd be enough, hopefully, for the speaker to remember the full point, which is fleshed out somewhat on the wiki.

-J.

ChuckFrain
October 13th, 2007, 02:17 AM
I've no real skills with impress myself, but I'm going to make an attempt over the next few days to put something together. I'm going to try to get a projector for the meeting this week so we can display and discuss the options.

If someone can do a second or third presentation maybe we can compare and contrast.

phr0ze
October 13th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I've been so busy, I won't make any promises. If I get a chance, I'll post here.

phr0ze
October 17th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Ok. I've come up with a bad draft of something. It needs the window dressing and notes. I'll keep working on it today.

ChuckFrain
October 17th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I've got a sampling of something as well that I'll have ready for tomorrow evening.

We'll take a look at both ideas and go from there.