PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] D: calling a superclass' method

WebDrake
October 2nd, 2007, 09:12 PM
I'm trying to teach myself D and have got stuck on the following problem: how do I call a superclass method from the subclass? (Can I?)

Consider the following code:

import std.stdio;

class A {
this() {
i = 5;
}

void foo() {
writefln("i = ", i);
}

private {
int i;
}
}

class B : A {
this() {
i = 7;
}

void foo() {
writef("But seriously, ");
// and here I want to call A's foo. :-)
}
}

void main() {
A a = new A();
B b = new B();
A.foo();
B.foo();
}

How can I achieve what I want? (i.e. that B's foo() can call A's?)

ynnhoj
October 2nd, 2007, 09:54 PM
does d have a keyword such as "parent" or "super"? maybe you should look it up, or just do some trial and error. you could try "super.foo();" or something like that and see what happens..

WebDrake
October 2nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
does d have a keyword such as "parent" or "super"? maybe you should look it up, or just do some trial and error. you could try "super.foo();" or something like that and see what happens..

Thanks! In fact I'd tried super.foo(), which is the correct answer, but didn't realise it because of a dumb, stupid error in the code. If you look at the last lines, they should read,

A a = new A();
B b = new B();
a.foo();
b.foo();

Not realising that had me chasing around a wild goose chase for ages. Anyway, the correct code is,

import std.stdio;

class A {
this() {
i = 5;
}

void foo() {
writefln("i = ", i);
}

private {
int i;
}
}

class B : A {
this() {
i = 7;
}

void foo() {
writef("But seriously, ");
super.foo();
}
}

void main() {
A a = new A;
B b = new B;
a.foo();
b.foo();
}

dwhitney67
October 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
In C++ one would use a statement like A::foo(). Maybe it's the same is D.

Ah, just saw your solution. It appears that D is more Java-like than C++, or maybe it's a combo of the two?

WebDrake
October 3rd, 2007, 09:34 AM
In C++ one would use a statement like A::foo(). Maybe it's the same is D.

Ah, just saw your solution. It appears that D is more Java-like than C++, or maybe it's a combo of the two?

Yes, D is more Java-like---it seems to have taken many of the best features from Java and C# (including garbage collection) but works as a fully-compiled language. It'll be interesting to see whether it gets taken up widely---I have a feeling it might be exciting for games developers.