PDA

View Full Version : Leave App Open in Log-out

Black Mage
October 2nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
In Ubuntu, I have VMware Server running a SQL Server 2000. When I boot into Ubuntu I have to start up it and it shuts down when I log out but I want to keep the VMware running for other users to access the database when I log out.

Is there a way that I can do this?

stimpack
October 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
Being a server does it run from the command line?. If so killing your shell will kill the server.

Use 'screen' first
run vmware
detach from shell with ctrl-a d
logout

it will be running in the background.

If its a GUI app or not what you wanted, I apologise.

Black Mage
October 2nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
No,it logs in through a GUI, but thnx for your help though. But is there a way to leave the App running when I log-out through a GUI? And I'm using Fiesa Fawn.

maniacmusician
October 2nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Feisty Fawn*

But no, you can't leave a GUI app running when you log out, because it's tied to your X session, and when the session ends, all those apps end as well. If you can find a way to run vmware from the command line (there should be a way), yo can do as stimpack suggested.

Black Mage
October 2nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
i can ssh into my computer from another with no problem and the command line for running VMServer is vmware. But the -X?

zachtib
October 2nd, 2007, 06:46 PM
i've got vmware server running as well, if I leave the VM running when i close vmware, the vms continue running in the background.

i connect remotely to my server from my laptop, so what you want should be possible

Hossie
October 2nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
VMware itself is a daemon, it keeps running when closing VMware Server Console. If you really want to keep VMware Server Console (the GUI App) running, use NoMachine (NX).