PDA

View Full Version : Virus on planet ubuntu ?

chatainsim
October 2nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
Hi all,
i try to connect to http://planet.ubuntulinux.org
and my antivirus avast say Warning there is a virus Worm ELF:SucKIT-rootkit on this website.
(i'm @ work that's why i'm under windows)
anybody have this warning ?
http://images6.pictiger.com/thumbs/4d/4b0ba6a651dd8d728e8eb939c288184d.th.png (http://server6.pictiger.com/img/689229/computers-and-electronic-gadgets/virus-ubuntu-.php)

Sunflower1970
October 2nd, 2007, 04:00 PM
No, I don't think so...But there's a blog about a SucKIT-rootkit maybe it's picking up the wording...?

ssam
October 2nd, 2007, 07:13 PM
see http://blog.knightlust.com/?p=18

M$LOL
October 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
I get a virus alert from that page.

swj
October 4th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Confirmed. I just tested from a windows xp laptop, running avast 4.7 home.

ELF:SucKIT-rootkit

virus/worm

reyfer
October 4th, 2007, 03:38 AM
There is no virus or rootkit on that page!!!! AVAST is picking the wording of the blog about the SuckIt rootkit, and it reports it as a virus. I'm sure if you copy and paste the blog entry here, and then try to check the page with AVAST on, it will report the same thing.

FuturePilot
October 4th, 2007, 03:48 AM
How can an antivirus app read your webpages?:-s
That's like saying Geyes is watching you :o

reyfer
October 4th, 2007, 04:48 AM
How can an antivirus app read your webpages?:-s
That's like saying Geyes is watching you :o

Well, then explain to me how AVAST talks about a virus/rootkit on a page that only reports about that said virus?(and I checked with Clamav, AVG, and on windows with Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, and nothing came up)

FuturePilot
October 4th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Well, then explain to me how AVAST talks about a virus/rootkit on a page that only reports about that said virus?(and I checked with Clamav, AVG, and on windows with Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, and nothing came up)

Hm, that's odd. I've just never heard of antivirus programs being able to read webpages.

Samhain13
October 4th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Well, then explain to me how AVAST talks about a virus/rootkit on a page that only reports about that said virus?

Could it have read the expression from the browser-cached file? But then again...

jouka
October 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Real time scanning type of scanners work like this:

1. You get some file on your computer
2. You start opening it, program that should open it sends a request to open that file
3. In between is scanner engine which works as a 'gatekeeper' for file activities
4. It hijacks the file and scans it.
5. If the file has malicious code in it, request to open that file is denied and alert generated. If the file is clean, no action taken. File will get clear passage and scanner engine is sad. Job for nothing :(

Browsers do not display web pages at protocol level. First that page must be downloaded to browsers cache. Ever seen that 'GET' command? ;)

****** AV product I say.

skymera
October 4th, 2007, 10:03 AM
so this isnt a virus?

if it is, can it affect ubuntu?

jouka
October 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM
so this isnt a virus?

if it is, can it affect ubuntu?

No. You can only get 'virus' to your ubuntu system if you go and install one. Installing programs from repos is secure.

skymera
October 4th, 2007, 10:12 AM
whats the chances of that?

23meg
October 4th, 2007, 10:16 AM
whats the chances of that?

Practically zero if you stick to the trusted sources.

skymera
October 4th, 2007, 10:28 AM
well i have that Trevino list.
perghaps i should scrap that and use the list from the ubuntu source generator..

n3tfury
October 4th, 2007, 02:20 PM
avast sucks apparently. and reyfer, give me a break. it's not scannign for verbage on websites.

handy
October 4th, 2007, 02:35 PM
The info' in the following link is old, but still very valid, its great for new linux user's to get an understanding of the differences between linux & windows, with regards to security:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/linux_vs_windows_viruses/

macogw
October 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM
well i have that Trevino list.
perghaps i should scrap that and use the list from the ubuntu source generator..
The source generator isn't all necessarily secure repos. It pretty much just lists all the Ubuntu repos it knows of. The repos to definitely trust are the official ubuntu.com ones. You're on your own for whether or not to trust 3rd party repos. There are some, like Trevino's, that are widely trusted by Ubuntu users, and are probably just fine to use. Random repos you find that you don't know where they're coming from are the ones to worry a bit about because if very few people are using them, they've likely not been looked into very well to see if the packages really are OK. By adding a signing key from a repository, you are verifying that you trust the person who packaged it. If your friend has a repo, and you know you can trust them, go ahead and use it. If a stranger says "hey try my repo," maybe not.