PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Windows Vista or XP? (Or Mac or Linux?)

newbie2
October 2nd, 2007, 06:53 AM
Given the choice, if buying a new PC today, would you choose Windows XP or Windows Vista? Or would you opt for Mac OS X or a particular variety of Linux?

Click here to vote in our poll and see the results.

And feel free to elaborate in the comments below.
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/122824.asp
:guitar:

foreign-memories
October 2nd, 2007, 08:03 AM
I would've bought a Dell-Laptop with Ubuntu-Linux :) or I might have tried a mac ppc ^^

Iceni
October 2nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
If I could pick any os I would probably want Mac os x Leopard. If I had more time to mess around I would go with a linux distro, probably ubuntu, but osx is just so .. finished.

SunnyRabbiera
October 2nd, 2007, 08:57 AM
I would honestly still buy XP if it was my only option, but if there is something else I will use anything BUT vista.

mrgnash
October 2nd, 2007, 09:04 AM
Ubuntu or SuSE Linux, but I'd take Vista over any of the others.

mindtrick
October 2nd, 2007, 11:00 AM
I'd custom build it myself or get one without any OS. Then install whatever I want.

GrumpyBob
October 2nd, 2007, 11:05 AM
I have laptops dual booting Gutsy & XP and Feisty & Vista. I very very rarely use either XP or Vista (Vista in particular because it runs painfully slowly). My most recent purchase was a desktop PC with Feisty pre-installed.
So, for me, Ubuntu GNU/Linux would be my OS of choice.

Robert

n3tfury
October 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
this is why polls like this are bullocks.

Spr0k3t
October 2nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
Since I have to log in to leave a comment... I'll post it here.

I wouldn't choose an operating system... I would opt to build my own unless it's a laptop. I can build a bleeding edge computer system for about the same price as last years top of the line retail.

starcraft.man
October 2nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
I'd take Ubuntu (already have enough copies of XP). Though since I build machines now exclusively I don't suppose I'll be buying OEM anymore.

igknighted
October 2nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
Voted Vista, the license cost when bought from an OEM is almost nil, and XP is just outdated crap. I've got all the disks already to do my linux install, so I might as well get the Vista license.

The only linux offering that might sway me would be the Mandriva PowerPack. They offer a commercially-supported distribution with extra packages that are specifically targeted for desktop users, rather than the corporate market that Novell and Red Hat are fighting over. I am considering buying the PowerPack for Mandriva 2008, so I would certainly love to see it on an OEM.

EDIT: As for OSX, I loathe the fact that it locks you into doing things the way apple engineers decided was the most efficient. Plus I would have to buy Apple hardware, which aside from being expensive, runs so hot it's a fire/explosion hazard. Apple can blame intel or sony all they want, but they signed off on the specs and have the most knowledge of the whole system. They need to step in and say "No, that will burn up", but time after time they have issues with overheating. Not a chance I buy Apple.

tcpip4lyfe
October 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
I'd get vista. I haven't even used it at all yet.

NullHead
October 2nd, 2007, 02:29 PM
Ubuntu or SuSE Linux, but I'd take Vista over any of the others.

I would get a new pc with Vista on it then download Ubuntu as the first thing I do on it.:lolflag:

Sisophon2001
October 2nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
If you only have one computer, then you should keep open the option of duel booting to windows so that if you buy a new gadget that has drivers only for windows, you can at least use it until some bright spark makes it work with Linux. And if you are paying for a new windows OS it might as well be Vista, which should be standard now on new computers, and will give you five or six years of working life for your money. If you went for XP, I very much doubt it will last as long as Vista. You don't have to use it every day if you don't like it. Think of it as a backup OS.

I see little point in purchasing a Mac unless you are into luxury at the expense of cost. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is still my understanding of the trade off. I used Mac's first years ago and switched to a DOS machine when I first had to pay for my own computer. I think the trade off still stands. Is it worth the extra money? If it is to you, then get a Mac.

I use free apps on my WinXP laptop, the exact same apps as I use on my Linux desktop. I think a Linux/Windows mix gives best all round value.

Garvan

Sepp1
October 2nd, 2007, 05:01 PM
If the computer was for me only, it would definitely be an Ubuntu.
If the computer was for my family too it should be XP/Ubuntu dual boot.
Because i have a Vista in my house, and it can safely say that Vista just isn't a finished product yet.
Maybe I would choose Vista when its SP1 comes out eventually, but certainly not before, and probably never ever.

Depressed Man
October 2nd, 2007, 05:56 PM
Between XP and Vista. XP
Between OSX and Linux. Linux

(see sig)

Ekkusu
October 2nd, 2007, 06:01 PM
Get Mac OS X Leopard and (X)Ubuntu (easier with Boot Camp). That's what I'd do.

Obor
October 2nd, 2007, 06:15 PM
I got my new PC with Vista. The cost of licence was not that high and I and/or my wife do need windows on occasion.

First thing I've done when it arrived was to partition the HD and put Ubuntu 7.04 on it. I don't go to windows a lot but I plan to keep this PC for a while and there are things I have to do in windows.

And sometime its just fun to boot into windows, wait for all the updates and watch the computer being busy doing something even if I didn't touch it for hours :popcorn: