PDA

View Full Version : OSX to Ubuntu (Convice OSX USERS)

ev5unleash1
October 2nd, 2007, 01:22 AM
Ok, So I'm trying to convince my to go from the OSX OS to the Ubuntu OS. But he's not buying much that I say. Any ideas or ways that Ubuntu can be better then a OS X?

Kingsley
October 2nd, 2007, 01:28 AM
What if he's happy and content with his Mac?

Incense
October 2nd, 2007, 01:55 AM
You should show him how easy it is to sync his iPod, and edit video! Oh wait.... uh.....hmmmm.......

Actually Amarok is lightyears ahead of iTunes, and kdenlive isn't that bad. Just do it the same way you move windows folks, get them using open source software, and they may just want to make the move after they realize how great FOSS really is. He may never fully switch, and that's fine. A great site is www.opensourcemac.org/ which seems to be down right now, but it has all the great open source software that makes Linux great.

phrostbyte
October 2nd, 2007, 02:05 AM

No excuse when we have dual boot! :)

starcraft.man
October 2nd, 2007, 02:06 AM
Ok, So I'm trying to convince my to go from the OSX OS to the Ubuntu OS. But he's not buying much that I say. Any ideas or ways that Ubuntu can be better then a OS X?

Depends how long he's been using a Mac. If he's already invested in things like iTunes Music, their Airports and a lot of their hardware it's tough to come up with an appealing reason to move. Apple makes their tech hardware based on purpose, to lock people in once their convinced to move to them.

If the guy doesn't feel like supporting open source ideals and isn't interested in any of the other reasons to switch then there really isn't much you can do. I'd show him things like Compiz-Fusion, Exaile/Amarok, Kino/Cinelerra, the list goes on. If he's already paid for professional apps like the CS3 suite and Final Cut though these won't be interesting.

Bottom line, can't convince everyone to use Linux...

ev5unleash1
October 5th, 2007, 01:08 AM
He says he is content with the Mac and he can get open-source things with his mac. But he says he has no reason to even try Ubuntu if everything he wants is on a mac. Is there anything Ubuntu can to better or more then a mac?

wersdaluv
October 5th, 2007, 01:10 AM
What luck have you had introducing new computer users to Ubuntu?

I’ve never done it. I tried to “convert” a Windows user to Mepis when I first started using Linux (the newest converts are always the most enthusiastic about evangelizing Linux), and that failed miserably. I don’t believe in preaching, whether it’s Christianity or Linux. Live your life in the way you believe to be right. If you inspire others to do the same, great, but don’t force your beliefs or lifestyle on someone else. That’s how I operate.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/10/02/an-interview-with-aysiu/

n3tfury
October 5th, 2007, 01:29 AM
He says he is content with the Mac and he can get open-source things with his mac. But he says he has no reason to even try Ubuntu if everything he wants is on a mac. Is there anything Ubuntu can to better or more then a mac?

let it go. if you don't know any reasons, don't bother. getting a couple tidbits here will help you none. if he counters with something are you going to run back here and post again?

he's not switching.

ev5unleash1
October 5th, 2007, 01:45 AM
But sooner or later once Ubuntu Conquers Windows. Mac will be there (squints eyes) :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.

edward4130
October 5th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I personally LOVE osx and have used it since Apple started it. I work in the arts and the software in open source is not there yet for Photoshop and so on. Not turning in my mac for some time to come....

Meanwhile I have two machines running Feisty. One a media center with 1.5 terabytes and mythtv, it runs my house and the whole family loves it hooked right up to the big tv. The other I have just for my day to day email and so on and it replaced a Apple OS X machine since it does everything I need it to do.

Someday I hope that we will have ports over for Photoshop and other big comercial software (the way it was made was for industrys like the graphics paying big bucks to make it) Gimp just can't cut it for what I do, color lookups and profiles conversions for specific printing presses, other Scitex stuff. Not to put Ubuntu and opensource out, but it is not going to get the influx of money to make the high end of all software.

Ubuntu is fine for about everything humans do.

-Edward

jusmurph
October 5th, 2007, 02:26 AM

Indeed?:(

macogw
October 5th, 2007, 02:30 AM
A Mac user in my Software Engineering class looked at my screen running Beryl and said "aw! i can't wait for leopard. i'm a mac user. i'm supposed to have the pretty OS!" I rubbed it in by upgrading to Gutsy and showing him Compiz Fusion.

n3tfury
October 5th, 2007, 02:43 AM
But sooner or later once Ubuntu Conquers Windows. Mac will be there (squints eyes) :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.

keep dreaming.

RomeReactor
October 5th, 2007, 02:51 AM
I don't think people need convincing; if they have a comfortable, happy and productive computing experience--whether that is using windows or mac--then you should probably let them continue. You can certainly show them the alternatives, but only so they are aware that alternatives do exist. It's only when people have problems with their current system that we should encourage them to try an alternative. Let them make up their own mind about the benefits a change would bring.

FranMichaels
October 5th, 2007, 03:12 AM
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2006/06/02/when-the-bough-breaks

Some long time Apple users do switch, it happens :razz:. I'm sure it goes both ways though.

Ultimately the person has to be looking for an alternative I think. The man above had some dissatisfaction. I can relate, as I wasn't satisfied with Windows.

Linux was the obvious choice for me, as I didn't want to switch from one proprietary OS to another proprietary OS. For some people, that doesn't register as a reason.

If he or she is perfectly happy, and doesn't have a single issue... I guess you could recommend Linux as a backup/rescue disc, just something to test the waters with. :)

macogw
October 5th, 2007, 05:38 AM
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2006/06/02/when-the-bough-breaks

Some long time Apple users do switch, it happens :razz:. I'm sure it goes both ways though.

Ultimately the person has to be looking for an alternative I think. The man above had some dissatisfaction. I can relate, as I wasn't satisfied with Windows.

Linux was the obvious choice for me, as I didn't want to switch from one proprietary OS to another proprietary OS. For some people, that doesn't register as a reason.

If he or she is perfectly happy, and doesn't have a single issue... I guess you could recommend Linux as a backup/rescue disc, just something to test the waters with. :)
Check out Linux Action Show podcast #55. Two Mac-heads (went to all the dev cons, have tons of Macs, used to evangelize Apple stuff, had a Mac podcast) are now diehard Linux users. In #55 they compared Leopards advertised features to Linux's "current" (as of August) features.

misfitpierce
October 5th, 2007, 05:41 AM
I used to use OS X. Found Ubuntu more free and better feeling.

Incense
October 5th, 2007, 05:43 AM
I used to use OS X. Found Ubuntu more free and better feeling.

+1

fwojciec
October 5th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Personally I am against force-convincing people to use Linux. I might tease them about their OS, but I don't care if they don't make the switch in the end. If, on the other hand, someone thinks about switching to Linux but is not sure or needs help making the transition I'm happy to give them the push they need ;)

misfitpierce
October 5th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Personally I am against force-convincing people to use Linux. I might tease them about their OS, but I don't care if they don't make a switch in the end. If, on the other handr, someone things about switching to Linux but is not sure or needs help making the transition I'm happy to give them the push they need ;)
Well said... :)

stuh84
October 5th, 2007, 09:42 AM
"But sooner or later once Ubuntu Conquers Windows. Mac will be there (squints eyes)"

So?

Its times like this that bring back memories of devout christians trying to convince me religion was the way forward, and then when I refuted everything they said they just came up with more excuses.

For gods sake, its an Operating System, why does it matter?

hanzomon4
October 5th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Installation and updating of apps? Much easier to customize in regards to looks.

Honestly most things can't be done better, only differently. Macs or multimedia creation power houses, Linux and Ubuntu does not have that level of maturity on the multimedia creation front. Somethings like syncing ipods takes a little work in Ubuntu, not much but still some. If your friend is content his needs are met, leave it alone.

You could also just carry around a Linux laptop and let the curiosity naturally build.

Paqman
October 5th, 2007, 03:55 PM
OS X is a good system, but getting sucked into Apple's little world is a ludicrously expensive habit. Their gear is consistently more expensive than than everything else, and while it works nicely when you don't stray from Appleland, it doesn't play well with others.

So I think money and lack of choice have got to be the obvious flaws in getting all Appled up. If you're dealing with someone who's got the cash and/or doesn't care about options you're going to have a tough sell convincing them otherwise.

Personally I think that for regular non-techy users Macs are much better than PCs (or would be if they cost 50% less)

R-Dot-Yung
October 5th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I dont see the point in convincing an OSX user to use Ubuntu, they are basically the same in functions and what not, they are both derived off the Unix kernel...

I wouldnt mind being a Mac User, but i hate Apple, i hate everything they do, they rip you off every second they can, and i just cant deal with it

rockstar9wannabe
October 5th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I still think the easiest way to convince someone to switch to Ubuntu is to create a dual boot, regardless of the other operating system. Ubuntu, side-by-side with another OS, is still the best persuasion technique that exists.

ev5unleash1
October 8th, 2007, 02:11 AM
WEll, I will keep dreaming because one day it's Linux Vs. OS X.

n3tfury
October 8th, 2007, 02:13 AM
I wouldnt mind being a Mac User, but i hate Apple, i hate everything they do, they rip you off every second they can, and i just cant deal with it

so then you would mind being a Mac user.

multifaceted
October 8th, 2007, 03:30 AM
There is little hope in trying to convert an Apple user to Linux.

As far as proprietary software goes, Apple has a lot to offer... A rock solid OS and revolutionary software that is pleasing to the eye and intuitive.

macogw
October 8th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Apple...intuitive.
like hell. moving away from the program you're working with all the way to the top of the screen is not intuitive. that's like walking to the other side of the building each time you need a paperclip instead of keeping a package of them on your desk.

Macs are...PCs
fixed

stuh84
October 8th, 2007, 09:46 AM
like hell. moving away from the program you're working with all the way to the top of the screen is not intuitive. that's like walking to the other side of the building each time you need a paperclip instead of keeping a package of them on your desk.

Because it takes so much effort? Way I see it, it makes it consistent for you to know where menus are. Whatever program I am in, I know where to go when I wanna change options or something, rather than relying on the programmers often terrible UI skills to find it buried in a right click menu under various options, or maybe its hidden in a one touch button with various sub menu's, or maybe its in a File > Options

I dont see how consistency between different programs is a bad thing?

macogw
October 8th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Because it takes so much effort? Way I see it, it makes it consistent for you to know where menus are. Whatever program I am in, I know where to go when I wanna change options or something, rather than relying on the programmers often terrible UI skills to find it buried in a right click menu under various options, or maybe its hidden in a one touch button with various sub menu's, or maybe its in a File > Options

I dont see how consistency between different programs is a bad thing?

they've got consistency right in having one keyboard shortcut per usage, though it's not really perfect across the system. sometimes apple+t opens a new tab, and sometimes it changes the font (I think that's the one that kept opening the font dialog for me instead of doing what I wanted).

it's standard in pretty much every UI of everything not-on-mac that the menus are at the top of the window of the program in which you are working. you do everything within that window. you don't need to move the mouse all the way to the other end of the screen (and given the size of monitors people buy today, that can be very, very far...my old boyfriend and his coworker used 30" monitors + their laptops as a dual-screen setup...we're talking 40" to get to a menu!) i don't see how "top of whatever window you're in" could be seen as lacking "consistency." i definitely see having to move the mouse about 50x further than necessary as being a Bad Thing though.

The part about not knowing where in the menu to look is moot though. All the universal menu bar means is you have to move the mouse really far to get to the menu. Where things are arranged within those menus is still pretty much up to whomever programmed it. If the programmer followed Apple's guidelines, it'll be more consistent, but there's no rule that says they have to.

Honestly, having guidelines about where things go in the menus and what the keyboard combinations should be while still letting the menus be nice and easy to reach would not take away from consistency one bit.

Oh, and the dock sucks, hands down. If it was just a launcher bar, it'd be OK. Mixing launchers with window list, though? Bad idea, and it's a screen-space hog. I just want launchers, no window list. Hell, I don't even want launchers, really. Just give me Quicksilver, and I'm happy.