PDA

View Full Version : Poll for issue #6

catfacts
October 2nd, 2007, 12:38 AM
What window manager do you use? (Name primary)

yabbadabbadont
October 2nd, 2007, 12:55 AM
Fluxbox built from SVN.

ronniet
October 2nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
What window manager do you use? (Name primary)

Good idea! :KS

Cast your votes folks and if enough people vote i'll put the question and results in FCM #6 :)

ncappel1
October 2nd, 2007, 02:37 PM
gnome, but I wish I ran compiz-fusion...
:(

saxonjf
October 2nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
I use Gnome right now, but if it's easy enough to use, I may very well go to Compiz-Fusion.

I would love to see some in-depth articles about Compiz-Fusion, as I am having a hard time learning about it anywhere else.

mrmonday
October 3rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Currently an OpenBox-Gnome user. I switch between window managers though. I'd be using Compiz-fusion, but I've got over the graphical effects, and it uses 50%+ of my CPU since the last update - no update since and re-installing didn't help. Gnome with openbox is a great combination imo, mixing beautiful low resource borders and a simple to use panel :)

catfacts
October 5th, 2007, 12:31 AM
I was hoping for 50 + votes but that est seem a little high, maybe once we put the link in the next issue there will be more people. Also if anyone has Ideas for a poll post them. This one is kinda general, maybe someone has something really interesting? :)

-grubby
October 9th, 2007, 01:45 AM
fluxbox

pluviosity
October 9th, 2007, 01:59 AM
I use a combination of Gnome, KDE, and Compiz-Fusion, with KDE being my most used window manager (and the one I voted for :) )

catfacts
October 12th, 2007, 09:57 PM
The poll ends soon. Get your votes in if you haven't.

jfdm
October 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Just a thing with the poll. And not to sound rude or anything (correct me if i am wrong).

But aren't Gnome, KDE and Xfce, Linux Desktop Environments and not window managers, where the default window managers for these environments are metacity, kwn,and XFwm respectively.

Also aren't Compiz and Compiz-Fusion two different window mangers, where Compiz-Fusion is the combination of Compiz and Beryl.

So shouldn't the poll be:

Metacity (Gnome Default as used in Ubuntu)
kwm (KDE Default as used in Kubuntu)
XFwm (Xfce Default as used in Xubuntu)
Compiz-Fusion
Compiz
Beryl
Other
Whats a window manager

But anyway when I run a Desktop Linux Box, I tend to go for the Gnome Environment with metacity as i found that the Compiz-Fusion/ Compiz/ Beryl mangers are to advanced for me hardware (but that will soon change).

catfacts
October 14th, 2007, 04:11 PM
While that is true most people probably think of Gnome v. Metacity and likewise with Xfce and KDE. As for Compiz and the likes not many people, as compared to Gnome etc. use them so I kinda tried to group them together. But beryl is a lot different than compiz, at leaset they were to me. No this is not rude. But I aggree with you about window manager != desktop environment but since they are like this in the poll I would like to cary it over to the magazine like this.

onlineapps
October 16th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Something that might be interesting is to run this poll again after KDE 4 comes out and Compiz Fusion is included in Gutsy. Maybe for the January issue.

FredB
October 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Too late for me. I'm using gnome + compiz-fusion

catfacts
October 17th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Too late for me. I'm using gnome + compiz-fusion
Look for the next one! And tell friends, I know we can get more votes if we try. Also I posted this only two weeks before the deadline, the next question can be posted by anyone who wants, just start a new thread. If two people post then we will have to choose i guess. But check with Ronnie first.