PDA

View Full Version : gaim + msn = irony

im_ka
August 12th, 2005, 09:12 PM
of all the commonly used im protocols (not talking about jabber... unfortunately), msn messenger works best with gaim.
file transfer is still buggy with aim, and the hoary version of gaim doesnt support icq file transfers. haven't tried yahoo, for some reason none of my friends use it... that leaves msn, which works perfectly. isn't that ironic? :)

i wish the whole world would use jabber, but it's not the case.

KingBahamut
August 12th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Hmmmm, faithful ICQ user here.....but never used it for file transfer or anything.

I think Gaims yahoo support is fairly decent.

Lowe
August 12th, 2005, 09:41 PM
That's weird, because MSN has always been the worst for me in gaim. AIM in gaim works great, much better than the official, actually.

Lord Illidan
August 12th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Well, that's life.. I like Gaim, more than Kopete.. Kopete displays the other's picture in an wackily small icon in the toolbar!!! And is too over decorated!!

student
August 12th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Well, I've got a problem concerning this.
I registered an @gmail account with the .net passport bblabla, signed in with gaim on it, inserted all my contacts from my @hotmail, and all worked great.

But when i tried to sign in an hour later, I'm always returned "unable to authenticate blablabla", but signing in with webmessenger works, and signing in with gaim in the @hotmail also works.

figure this one out :neutral:

KingBahamut
August 12th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Theres too much Microsoft involved there Student....I think thats your primary problem.

gord
August 12th, 2005, 10:06 PM
The use of words expressing something other than their literal intentions, now that, is, irony!

note: it would only be ironic if they had set out to make msn not work at all

just a pet peeve of mine -_-

im_ka
August 12th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Well, I've got a problem concerning this.
I registered an @gmail account with the .net passport bblabla, signed in with gaim on it, inserted all my contacts from my @hotmail, and all worked great.

But when i tried to sign in an hour later, I'm always returned "unable to authenticate blablabla", but signing in with webmessenger works, and signing in with gaim in the @hotmail also works.

figure this one out :neutral:

i use a gmail adress too and it works

GavinX
August 12th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Well, that's life.. I like Gaim, more than Kopete.. Kopete displays the other's picture in an wackily small icon in the toolbar!!! And is too over decorated!!
I couldn't have said it better myself! The user icon in Kopete is ridiculously small and too much decoration on the user interface. I hate kopete. It's so good that I don't use KDE, I would not even think of using Kopete if I'd use KDE, anyway.

Buffalo Soldier
August 13th, 2005, 04:42 AM
I couldn't have said it better myself! The user icon in Kopete is ridiculously small and too much decoration on the user interface. I hate kopete. It's so good that I don't use KDE, I would not even think of using Kopete if I'd use KDE, anyway.
Started using GNU/Linux 'seriously' last year with SimplyMEPIS. I didn't like Kopete and it that made me look for something else rather than KDE. That's what lead me to GNOME and Ubuntu.

I think they have GAIM now in MEPIS. But I'm already in love with Ubuntu.

Back to original topic. My experience with GAIM has been pretty good. I use it to log on to MSN and Yahoo. But file transfer is a bit slow.

DJ_Max
August 13th, 2005, 04:44 AM
For me, Gaim doesn't properly support IM'ing people using MSN 7, nor does AdiumX....

GavinX
August 13th, 2005, 03:08 PM
But file transfer is a bit slow.
Yah, file transfer on GAIM is a bit slow, especially with the MSN protocol. I decided to check it out sometime ago on the GAIM site and this is what was explained:

Why are my file transfers so slow? Gaim only supports tranferring files over MSN via the MSN servers. This means all your data is sent to an MSN server and then forwarded to the person at the other end of the transfer. It is unknown whether we will support true peer to peer file transfer over MSN.

I think that's plain enough.

student
August 13th, 2005, 06:54 PM
It is unknown whether we will support true peer to peer file transfer over MSN.

that's one of the reasons why I like gaim...

benplaut
August 14th, 2005, 12:47 AM
i'm ashamed to say that i use Kopete. i hate the interface, but Gaim simply refuses to do group chat, which is a must-have for me.

anyone having that problem?

Buffalo Soldier
August 14th, 2005, 01:53 AM
i'm ashamed to say that i use Kopete. i hate the interface, but Gaim simply refuses to do group chat, which is a must-have for me.

anyone having that problem?By group chat you mean something like this? Or am I missing something?

Only tried this when logged in to Yahoo. Not sure about MSN.

RastaMahata
August 14th, 2005, 02:04 AM
I'm able to join group chats in msn (when invited)... I dont know how to start one though :(

GavinX
August 14th, 2005, 02:20 AM

anyone having that problem?
Group chat in GAIM? Well according to the documentation, it works like a charm. just follow these instructions, benplaut:

Is there a way to invite more than one person to an MSN chat? Yes. Right click a buddy on your list and choose "Initiate Chat". In the conversation window that appears, choose "Invite" from the "Conversation" menu to invite another user. When the conversation framework gets another rewrite, it is possible that this will be simplified.

Cheers,
GavinX

BWF89
August 14th, 2005, 03:28 AM
GAIM is very weird when it comes to buddy icons. When I was useing AIM I had my icon set to the Firefox logo. Then when I was useing GAIM someone said they liked my buddy icon. It had a penguin on it? But I never put a penguin as my icon. So when I start up AIM he said it changed from a penguin to the Firefox logo. But a day later I asked someone what they saw when they looked at my buddy icon and they said I didn't have one.

benplaut
August 14th, 2005, 05:37 AM
i really need to do a reinstall.. gnome borked today :mad:

i think gaim-group worked in my last install