PDA

View Full Version : optimization book

Claus7
October 1st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to find out an optimization book tutorial. I would be most interested if it covers mostly applications and states all the optimization methods.

My search up to now has resulted the following :

http://www-fp.mcs.anl.gov/otc/Guide/OptWeb/index.html
J. Nocedal and S. Wright, Numerical Optimization, Springer Verlag 1999

The above do not cover all the optimization methods or are not as thorough. If you have something in mind I will be very glad to hear.

Regards!

euler_fan
October 3rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
To what end do you seek to assemble this knowledge?

I'd start with several books on different major threads in optimization research and trying to find reviews of literature in each of the same, from there branching out as you cover the major bases. You won't find one book or website with everthing.

Claus7
October 4th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Hello,

what I was looking for was something like a quick reference guide where I will be able to see every method and in which category it belongs. The more I 'm looking for about the subject the more vast I see it is.
It seems that the method you are proposing is the best way to pore over the subject and see which optimization method suits best to one's needs.

Thank you very much,
Regards!

euler_fan
October 4th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Hello,

what I was looking for was something like a quick reference guide where I will be able to see every method and in which category it belongs. The more I 'm looking for about the subject the more vast I see it is.
It seems that the method you are proposing is the best way to pore over the subject and see which optimization method suits best to one's needs.

Thank you very much,
Regards!

You're welcome.

As a final thought, given what you want, it sounds more like you want to have a good understanding of the families which you can translate into a more refined search for the particulars of a given method or implimentation. In that case, the method I suggested earlier should be more than ample.