PDA

View Full Version : What is going on CHICAGO!!!

siucdude
October 1st, 2007, 05:30 AM
Ok, this is very bad(sad), we have no action from Illinois or Chicago, I know I am not the only one using Ubuntu. Where you all at? this is very bad for us.

drop a line!!

SIUCDUDE

superyounan1
October 3rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
lol, a flurry of replies!

I'm a Chicaguntu-ite (you heard it hear, i coined the phrase).

I was digging around on google to see if there are any Gutsy release parties in chicago, this tread was oen of the results.

If you know of one, let me know!

siucdude
October 13th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I know it makes me want to move out of here!!

joconnorwi
October 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I'm here! I just finally decided to look for Chicago folks here!
I Soooooooo want to get 7.10 on my HP dv9000 (AMD)....
I'd love to be part of a install party! SOme of these HP's aren't easy to do! I installed 7.04 on my MOTHERS computer and every time I get to use it, it gets me all fired up!

posingaspopular
October 27th, 2007, 07:35 AM
You guys must have missed the install fest we threw at College of Dupage for Gutsy. Seriously, if you want to hear about Ubuntu-Chicago you either have to a) be on the mailing list, b) meet up with us in #ubuntu-chicago on irc.freenode.net (my SN should be obvious) or c) read Richard's blog at blog.nixternal.com and get your information from there.

I NEVER use the forums, I don't even know why I'm on it right now, but I thought i'd see what everyone here was doing.

-eddie

joconnorwi
October 27th, 2007, 02:28 PM
great! I have irc going now...sounds good

posingaspopular
October 29th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Hey guys. If you are not on the Mailing List, you should read this. The Ubuntu Chicago team is going to be having a special meeting this TUESDAY OCTOBER 30th on IRC (#ubuntu-chicago irc.freenode.net) about a event we are planning on throwing at 11AM. Again, Tuesday Oct. 30th, #ubuntu-chicago at 11am. irc DOT freenode DOT net We will be discussing an event designed to bring ubuntu to the masses, as a sort of into to tech event (very 1960s. radical!), with the help of many other Open Source companies etc., but specifically thrown and hosted by the Loco.

This meeting will be chaired by myself and Rich Johnson (loco head aka nixternal) and we are asking for you input, attendance, ideas, contacts lists, enthusiam, etc. if for some reason you can't attend, we will be recapping/summarizing the meeting on the mailing list, so those who aren't able to attend can respond back with feedback.

This will be the next meeting we have for a while, so it is imperative that we get lots of input from the loco. remember, you dont have to a coding genius to suggest pizza for the event ;p. Please make it if you can.

Also, the next meeting after this coming Tuesday is Dec. 1st at the Institue of Design from 1pm-3pm. We will be hosted by the ChicagoGNU/Linux Users Group (chiglug.org) and it should be a great time.

Sorry if this is short notice but this decision was made for the meeting around 9pm on Sunday night and i have been trying to fix my own computer since that time.

-Eddie Martinez

ps. please come (/me stops asking people to come)

also I checked and Ubuntu-Chicago doesnt have it's own forum space because we chose not to. If anyone wants this decision changed, come to the meetings and speak up. thanks.

PHuN
November 1st, 2007, 08:17 AM
I have to say the Chicago guys are pretty active on the mailing list.
I subscribe to it and they are always arranging something to do.
Though I have yet to make myself heard, i am planning on showing up to one of their meetings sometime soon.

rajan
November 1st, 2007, 08:25 AM
there's definitely a smaller proportion of linux users in chicago than I would have thought for a big city. this is where I was introduced to it though. one of my buddies from school gave me a copy of the OS and i haven't went back to windows for two years now.... well there was the period of a few months a little while back when i used the wife's laptop because i misguidedly bought an ipod instead of the creative zen that i have now.

what happens at these meetings?

posingaspopular
November 2nd, 2007, 01:20 AM
We are having another IRC meeting this Saturday, Nov. 3rd at 1pm, until 2pm or so. If you are subscribed to the list, be on the lookout for an email with my name coming soon.

As for the meetings:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ChicagoTeam/Meetings
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ChicagoTeam/Meetings/Minutes

Our next meeting is scheduled for Dec. 1st at Institute of Design the folks from the Chicago GNU/Linux Users Group (chiglug.org). From 1pm-3pm iirc.

To better decribe the meetings, in a chronological fashion:

We met up and everyone says hi. We tell jokes and every one tells everyone else that they are lame for usng GNOME/KDE/AMAROK/FIREFOX/ATX motherboards/ETC. you get the idea. One of us will usually poke Richard into starting the meeting (usually we start later than planned, because of said conversations). Richard will talk about world domination (he gives this talk every meeting, so don't worry if you miss it), typically about documentation work, KDE, how far XYZ person has come into the free software world and how to get started.

Then we usually have someone else talk to the group, be it a talk about Bazzar or bug work or what have you. Then we usually talk some more, RJ will get us offtopic (his nick is RedHerring for a reason), and we degrade into an unorganized chaotic group, walking around and proposing ideas to each other, asking for help with some project or arguing about gnome/kde/amarok/firefox/atx motherboards some more. And then when that's gone on long enough, another one of us will adjourn the meeting and we will all go out for dinner.

So, it's good times and if you can make it out, I suggest you do.

matthewcraig
November 17th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Have you heard of the Free Geek effort in Chicago to recycle / repurpose computer technology using Ubuntu / Xubuntu?

http://freegeekchicago.org/

They offer technical training and people can earn a computer with 20 hours of work there. Sounds like a great way to empower people with Free Software and low cost computing.

They are looking for individuals who want to get involved with their effort. Thought there might be some interest here.

joconnorwi
November 17th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Have you heard of the Free Geek effort in Chicago to recycle / repurpose computer technology using Ubuntu / Xubuntu?

http://freegeekchicago.org/

They offer technical training and people can earn a computer with 20 hours of work there. Sounds like a great way to empower people with Free Software and low cost computing.

They are looking for individuals who want to get involved with their effort. Thought there might be some interest here.

WOW! That is a really wonderful program! Thanks!!!

posingaspopular
November 18th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Free Geek gave a talk at one of our meetings about 4 months ago or so. It was a good talk too.

If I recall correctly, they don't actually use Xubuntu, but instead they use a slightly modified derivative of Xubuntu for their installs. Jim Campbell, one of the members of the LoCo has been involved with them for as long as I can remember.

-Eddie

d^v3
December 10th, 2007, 11:43 PM
hey all this thread looks dead but... i live in chicago too im using ubuntu on my main comp and kubuntu on the laptop.

Northsider
December 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Does look a little dead...

<breathing some life back into thread>

whats up d^v3!

dan l
February 4th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I live in Chicago. I'm a total n00b and of no use regarding anything - but I'm here.

Northsider
February 7th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I live in Chicago. I'm a total n00b and of no use regarding anything - but I'm here.
I hear ya. I'm pretty useless as well. Hehe

posingaspopular
February 7th, 2008, 01:06 AM
As long as you want to learn Ubuntu/Linux, then you are more than welcome to come hang out... with that said, most of the talking and planning is done on IRC and the Mailing Lists, so I encourage you all to email us there and ask questions if you want any help.

thechitowncubs
February 22nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
howdy, yall!

shoutout from the NW suburbs

DonnOMalley
March 14th, 2008, 06:23 PM
So I have recently made the switch from windows and am very happy with ubuntu. As a result I am trying to get as involved as possible and came across this forum. Thought I would see what is going on and it appears not much unless you are involved with the IRC

I haven't done irc in a while and might have to try it. i looked at the wiki page which is supposed to show meetings, but the "Next" meeting on 3/8/08 still has a place "TBD" which makes me believe that isn't a good place for info.

if anybody is still in here, drop me a line, Im here and ill be here (until i have to try and move to irc at least)

Donn

kevdog
May 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Is there an ubuntu team located anywhere in Chicago???

Walter Melon
July 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM
how do i join this mailing list? I haven't been using Ubuntu for very long(since 8.04 came out) but its been going great.

j1mc
July 10th, 2008, 09:07 PM
how do i join this mailing list? I haven't been using Ubuntu for very long(since 8.04 came out) but its been going great.

Hi there, Walter. I'm glad to hear that you're having a good experience with 8.04 so far.

You can join the ubuntu-chicago mailing list from this page: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-chicago

Thanks for posting a note here, and we'll look forward to seeing you around!

Jim

Northsider
August 24th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Hello Chicago! <knock knock> Haven't been many posts in here lately.

kevdog
September 29th, 2008, 01:02 PM
No kidding -- I think the group is dead!!

Black Razor
October 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Ubuntu is NOT dead in Chicago. Linux in general in Chicago is an underground thing. Chicago is notoriously windows based. There are a few shining stars in IL such as Metropolitan Bank Group which has migrated nearly all (if not all by now) of its computers to Linux. Hell, they saved $17K the first year that they used MySQL instead of SQL Server.

*swoon*

I am relatively new to the *nix community, only about a year or so, but a long time computer enthusiast. I am telling everyone I know why to switch to Linux, and I already have convinced at least half a dozen people I know to give Ubuntu a try, and even gave them a copy of Ubuntu with the Wubi installer. Of course they have had questions, but I do my best to give them answers.

Now, back to the subject at hand. Ubuntu users in Chicago, we need to start campaigning. I am asking you all to link back to this LoCo group in your signature if your from the Chicago area. Lets start to raise awareness of this group and set some events up.

I for one would love to help set up an Ubuntu install party. Imagine we advertise for weeks to the general city, especially craigslist and digg, what not that they can come and have Ubuntu installed on their computer for free and even get a free training seminar on the basics of linux. Would be AWESOME!

TTFN

-Razor

dracule
October 19th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Eh, im from Aurora (SW of Chicago) and Linux is shunned.

Shmio
July 14th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Hello to all...

I just moved into the area for grad school and wanted to say hey. I'm looking forward to upcoming events etc. Take care and I wish you all the best...

-Shmio