PDA

View Full Version : Financial Software/Bill tracking software

Poet with a Gun
October 1st, 2007, 03:57 AM
I need a lil piece of software that I can track my monthly bills and the dates I pay them on and keep me informed of what I have coming and left for the month.

I used to use reminders in Agendus on my palm. It'd remind me monthly so I could look "at a glance" and see what I had left to pay for the month.

Is there such a thing?

Poet with a Gun
October 1st, 2007, 04:34 AM
somethign with a to do list that I can have repeating tasks on wopuld work

pt123
October 1st, 2007, 05:03 AM
you can try Homebank & Money Manager Ex, there Ubuntu debs for them.

prizrak
October 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM
If all you need is a schedule of payments you can just use Evolution's calendar. The nice thing is that if you click on your clock it will show the calendar and you can click on any date to see if anything is scheduled for it.

Poet with a Gun
October 1st, 2007, 12:57 PM
I tried, Evolution doesn't do recurring todo's.

I'm trying to put like my power bill, water bill, cable bill on a repeating basis so I can track where I'm at.

Evolution won't work unless you know a trick I don't.

multifaceted
October 1st, 2007, 01:11 PM
Nothing a little math and a OO.org Calc can't do!

I have always just used a spreadsheet that I updated daily for transactions. Gives me a real time balance. I linked another page in the same work book to my running balance to show the upcoming debits so that I can allocate funds.

Definitely not set up as reminders, I use that in my calender (Lightning/Thunderbird) but, I like to be constantly updating my account on a regular basis.... it helps understand your bank account statements and reconcile discrepancies if they appear.

multifaceted
October 1st, 2007, 01:12 PM
Or you can try Sunbird... there is also an extension for T-bird that works just as good. The recurring tasks/events are pretty in depth for their repeating behaviors.

50words
October 1st, 2007, 01:42 PM
GnuCash is great, but since it uses double-entry accounting, you should have some bookkeeping knowledge to use it.

For my personal finances, I use Moneydance, a cross-platform checkbook register-type program. It's a good piece of software, and cheap at $40.

There are a few other options. Here are 6:

http://zenhabits.net/2007/05/6-great-free-alternatives-to-quicken-ms-money/

GMU_DodgyHodgy
October 1st, 2007, 02:24 PM
GNUCash works well. The double entry issue is not that big a deal.

Also JGnash provides the same functionality with a bit more polished interface. Both packages support payment reminders as well as the ability to import QIF files from Quicken, Money or your bank's website.

multifaceted
October 1st, 2007, 03:18 PM
GNUCash works well. The double entry issue is not that big a deal.

Also JGnash provides the same functionality with a bit more polished interface. Both packages support payment reminders as well as the ability to import QIF files from Quicken, Money or your bank's website.

Really!?!!!.... I will definitely check that out! That would save me some time and I won't have to do manual data entry. How do you access these QIF files?.... I was just looking at my bank's website and didn't see anything (a brief search)... I use Bank of America.

Paqman
October 1st, 2007, 03:32 PM
I've found KMyMoney to be the easiest package to use for personal accounting.

I've gone back to using a simple spreadsheet for everyday stuff, though. I found all the different financial packages to be a bit too involved and require a fair bit of maintenance to keep accurate.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
October 1st, 2007, 03:32 PM
Usually your bank's website (assuming you are using web-banking services from your bank) you should find a link to download QIF files. My credit union has them. Personally, I feel that GnuCash and JGnash are the best open source programs out there. Money dance is good - but you need to pay.

GnuCash is a very competent accounting package (I am a CPA and can tell they put some thought into it). However, its user interface could use some work - specifically a transaction entry form. But hey its a matter of taste. I use it to track my son's Cub Scout Pack's finances.

I use JGnash for my personal finances. If you check out the Wiki - the JGnash 2.o will be coming out and it will include some additional features and backend enhancements. You can even set it up as a client server so multiple people can use the same file at once. I even believe it can be set up to run through a web-front end if necessary. However it is probably overkill for your needs.

Cheers.

Poet with a Gun
October 1st, 2007, 11:17 PM
I don't need it so much to track my financial situation.

I guess what I need is more of an advanced TO Do type thing.

I need to be able to see a list of what I have coming and when, and what I've paid.

I checked out gnucash and some of the others, but they're more than what I need, and they don't track my bills, just when I pay them and how much I pay them.

prizrak
October 2nd, 2007, 12:07 AM
I tried, Evolution doesn't do recurring todo's.

I'm trying to put like my power bill, water bill, cable bill on a repeating basis so I can track where I'm at.

Evolution won't work unless you know a trick I don't.

Schedule it as an appointment rather than a to do, it will allow you to schedule recurrence.

Poet with a Gun
October 2nd, 2007, 12:41 AM
That's a good idea and I'll keep that in mind as a last resort., it's a pretty good idea actually. I wonder why Evolution doesn't do recurring tasks :(

Poet with a Gun
October 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Alright I Don't like using scheduler, does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks, I may have ot go back to pen and paper. And how lame would that be?:lolflag:

Dragon43
December 23rd, 2007, 03:31 AM
Where do I find 'JGnash?' I have older 'Quicken' on my windows machine (98se) but want to bring to Lunix machine. "Q" does not do Linux that I can find. Just want bookkeeping, my Online Bank account takes care of rest. (payout, scheduling, etc.)

Is 'JGnash' what I want? or?

andrewabc
December 23rd, 2007, 04:54 AM
If you just want a recurring "to do" reminder, then using Sunbird (http://www.rainlendar.net/) or Rainlendar (http://www.rainlendar.net/) should work since they are both calendar apps.

GNUCash seems to be making progress in past couple years :)
I havn't tried it in probably 2 years. Might try using it again.