PDA

View Full Version : Eeeeek, live cd gone crazy!

xequence
August 12th, 2005, 05:29 PM
I downloaded and burnt the live cd for ubuntu. It started up good but took along time. When I got to the desktop I realised that... The screen resolution was 1024*768. WIndows couldent get that high with my 10 year old CRT monitor. I started up firefox and it worked. Then I started up the about ubuntu thing, it said loading and it didnt work. Two minutes later I tried another little application (I think the about gnome thing). It did the same thing. I then tried to take a screenshot two minutes later. same thing. FIrefox became VERY slow and unresponsive, so did the whole OS. Ten minutes later the programs started to pop up, really slowly.

I sure hope this is just the live CD, I hope the real version isnt like this. I love having a higher resoluion screen, but hate the unresponsiveness of it.

Now you are going to tell me its just the live cd not being able to load very fast from the cd drive and everyone is going to be happy, right? :P I hope you say that and its the truth. By the way I started up the screen resolution preferences thing before writing this and it just came up.

PeP
August 12th, 2005, 05:35 PM
how much ram do you have ?

BWF89
August 12th, 2005, 05:37 PM
The live cd has always ran very slow for me.

xequence
August 12th, 2005, 05:40 PM
700 MHZ Celeron
191 MB Ram (I have no idea how that came to be...)
18.9 GB HDD

WirelessMike
August 12th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Fastest live cd I've used would be a toss-up between knoppix and slax. i prefer to use the ubuntu live cd 'cause I know my way around really well and it pretty much always works, if a bit slow.

When it's speed I need, however, I typically put slax in (the fact that it will fit on a 3" cdrw makes it REALLY portable, too).

xequence
August 12th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Ive got slax, I dont use it much though. For me live CD's are for testing the accual distro or of windows crashes. I was just wondering if the installed ubuntu would be as slow as the live cd was for me.

The live cd has always ran very slow for me.

Ok, Ill download the installer overnight :)

benplaut
August 12th, 2005, 06:43 PM
if you want fast, NOTHING, i repeat, NOTHING is as fast as puppy linux

xequence
August 12th, 2005, 10:06 PM
I think I like ubuntu, aside from the fact that (I hope) the live cd is slow. Ill just download the installer overnight and hopefully have everything ready and stuff somethime :)