PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS2 works perfectly on the latest wine!

Acglaphotis
October 1st, 2007, 01:36 AM
Just installed and works perfectly, no tweaking required! With this and Dreamweaver i can't find a reason to wipe windows except for the occasional person who uses my pc and isn't comfortable with Ubuntu. Just one more thing to say:

W00T!

MetalMusicAddict
October 1st, 2007, 01:41 AM
Screenshot?

RAV TUX
October 1st, 2007, 01:48 AM
Just installed and works perfectly, no tweaking required! With this and Dreamweaver i can't find a reason to wipe windows except for the occasional person who uses my pc and isn't comfortable with Ubuntu. Just one more thing to say:

W00T!

Screenshot?

Great, Sreenshots would be much appreciated.

n3tfury
October 1st, 2007, 02:02 AM
yes screenies please. although for basic photo editing i've been finding my around gimp just fine :)

Acglaphotis
October 1st, 2007, 02:14 AM
http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/4178/screenshotwinedesktopbh2.png

adamorjames
October 1st, 2007, 02:17 AM
W00t!

slimdog360
October 1st, 2007, 02:22 AM
WOOT - lol

MetalMusicAddict
October 1st, 2007, 02:23 AM
"Wine Desktop" whats that? That looks like your running it virtually or in another X session.

I thought WINE displayed apps as if they were on a windows desktop. Not with 2 titlebars? :)

Acglaphotis
October 1st, 2007, 02:29 AM
A little tweak to winecfg (winecfg > graphics > check 'emulate virtual desktop' 1024x800), i did it because the gui woud not refresh (if i right-clicked the menu's image wouldn't go away).

Frak
October 1st, 2007, 02:41 AM
w00t

At least now you don't have to edit config files to get it to work, this makes it much easier :)

MetalMusicAddict
October 1st, 2007, 02:49 AM
A little tweak to winecfg (winecfg > graphics > check 'emulate virtual desktop' 1024x800), i did it because the gui woud not refresh (if i right-clicked the menu's image wouldn't go away).
Ahh...

Acglaphotis
October 1st, 2007, 02:52 AM
Psst... just died on me. It wont activate via online nor phone. Sorry about the 'perfectly' thing... * becomes frustrated*

bogolisk
October 1st, 2007, 03:20 AM
http://img108.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2007/09/30/wine-480bjvppi.png

Acglaphotis
October 1st, 2007, 03:26 AM
How did you get it to activate?

wajking
October 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM
I get this error:

“Your Adobe Photoshop® user name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid. The application cannot continue and must now exit.”

I have installed wine-0.9.46 and remove the old .wine directory

please help

regomodo
October 1st, 2007, 07:39 PM
"perfectly" is an exaggeration for me.

I wasn't allowed to enter my s/n (clicks in the box does nothing).

Takes a bit to start and everything appears to work except for some really annoying parts. Every menu you click on causes the whole PS screen to refresh. I couldn't make the image box fullscreen.

I must admit a huge change since the last time i tried but looks like i'll struggle on in XP

Acglaphotis
October 1st, 2007, 08:21 PM
It worked for me... until the time when i couldnt activate.

Mongoose.wa
October 2nd, 2007, 07:12 AM
CS2 works perfectly? I couldn't disagree more.

I can't activate my copy, so I'm stuck with the 30-day trial. However, this is the least of my gripes.

Just now, Photoshop decided to not detect my keyboard for some reason. I couldn't type in any values or anything. I could type in every other program, so it was clearly a problem with CS2/Wine.

I restarted PS and tried to work again. Then after a few minutes it decided to freeze up completely, forcing me to kill the process manually.

On top of this, it takes forever to load, it's a tad slow overall, the entire application blinks whenever I open a context menu, and the traditional alt+scroll wheel hotkey changes the window opacity instead of letting me zoom in/out of my image.

Given that last one is probably an issue with Compiz (which I would be GREATLY appreciative if someone could give insight on :)), I've found that running CS2 in Ubuntu through Wine has been nothing more than a systematic degradation of my design workflow. I find myself considering switching to Windows to edit images in PS and then coming back to Ubuntu to code, which is ridiculous.

Are there any DLLs I can insert into wine to fix these issues? And what is alt+scroll wheel bound to in Ubuntu/Compiz?

misfitpierce
October 2nd, 2007, 07:14 AM
Finally when fully supported i've fallen in love with GIMP. :( lol

regomodo
October 2nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
CS2 works perfectly? I couldn't disagree more.

I can't activate my copy, so I'm stuck with the 30-day trial. However, this is the least of my gripes.

Just now, Photoshop decided to not detect my keyboard for some reason. I couldn't type in any values or anything. I could type in every other program, so it was clearly a problem with CS2/Wine.

I restarted PS and tried to work again. Then after a few minutes it decided to freeze up completely, forcing me to kill the process manually.

On top of this, it takes forever to load, it's a tad slow overall, the entire application blinks whenever I open a context menu, and the traditional alt+scroll wheel hotkey changes the window opacity instead of letting me zoom in/out of my image.

Given that last one is probably an issue with Compiz (which I would be GREATLY appreciative if someone could give insight on :)), I've found that running CS2 in Ubuntu through Wine has been nothing more than a systematic degradation of my design workflow. I find myself considering switching to Windows to edit images in PS and then coming back to Ubuntu to code, which is ridiculous.

Are there any DLLs I can insert into wine to fix these issues? And what is alt+scroll wheel bound to in Ubuntu/Compiz?

you've obviously never tried CS2 in wine before this latest release. It was sheer hell TRYING to get it to happen on the old releases. Just being able to install and startup the program means the development has come a long way.

Ant1jr
October 2nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
Lol.... just after I get used to gimp...

n3tfury
October 2nd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Finally when fully supported i've fallen in love with GIMP. :( lol

apparently you didn't read the thread?

adamklempner
October 2nd, 2007, 03:48 PM
Shameless plug for Krita... I find it much easier to use than Gimp.

Incense
October 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM

+1 for Krita and the rest of Koffice.

regomodo
October 2nd, 2007, 06:41 PM

if krita does 16-bit and profiles then i may give that a try. I want to get rid of XP

Incense
October 2nd, 2007, 06:52 PM
if krita does 16-bit and profiles then i may give that a try. I want to get rid of XP

Not sure about profiles, but it does have 16 bit support..
From http://www.koffice.org/krita/

Krita is a painting and image editing application for KOffice. Krita is part of KOffice since version 1.4. Krita contains both ease-of-use and fun features like guided painting (never before has it been so easy to airbrush a straight line!) and high-end features like support for 16 bit images, CMYK, L*a*b and even OpenEXR HDR images.

KCPokes
October 2nd, 2007, 06:58 PM
I find myself considering switching to Windows to edit images in PS and then coming back to Ubuntu to code, which is ridiculous.

The reason that I run VirtualBox with Photoshop, utilizing seemless windows. Given the struggles still with Photoshop in Wine, the overhead of VirtualBox is still acceptable knowing that Photoshop just works.

smartboyathome
October 2nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
+1 for Krita and the rest of Koffice.

KOffice Writer stinks. Last I checked, it couldn't write to multiple filenames. If it could, then I would be all for it. But until then, openoffice is my friend. ;)

adamklempner
October 2nd, 2007, 07:07 PM

Krita does support both 16 bit and profiles.

regomodo
October 2nd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Krita does support both 16 bit and profiles.

wow. Must give it a try. The interface looks good too. It sort of looks like pixel

miggols99
October 2nd, 2007, 09:06 PM
KOffice Writer stinks. Last I checked, it couldn't write to multiple filenames. If it could, then I would be all for it. But until then, openoffice is my friend. ;)

KOffice 2.0 is looking really good. The writer is looking especially better. Finally lines and shapes etc. in KWord! Krita has also got a paint mixer, which looks very nice :)

regomodo
October 3rd, 2007, 12:57 PM
well. what an anticlimax that was. krita is a bit lacking. Definitely not for photo-editing. It's more a painting application. Plus it's slow as hell. I work with 22MP images and doing anything (swappiness setting does nothing) takes an age to refresh.

Oh well

anaconda
October 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
KOffice 2.0 is looking really good. The writer is looking especially better. Finally lines and shapes etc. in KWord! Krita has also got a paint mixer, which looks very nice :)

And the most important thing in KOffice 2.0...
Krita has text layers at last!!!! (You can import text from KWord to a layer, which can be rotated stretched.. etc.)

And.. I haven't noticed that krita would be slow!

Incense
October 3rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
well. what an anticlimax that was. krita is a bit lacking. Definitely not for photo-editing. It's more a painting application. Plus it's slow as hell. I work with 22MP images and doing anything (swappiness setting does nothing) takes an age to refresh.

Oh well

At least you gave it a shot. Maybe try again when KDE4 is out. Cheers!

miggols99
October 3rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Well Krita is pretty fast for me...even on my old computer it's pretty decent.

regomodo
October 3rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
Well Krita is pretty fast for me...even on my old computer it's pretty decent.

try editing a 4000dpi 35mm scan 48bit per pixel and then come back and say how it went

Incense
October 4th, 2007, 02:56 AM
try editing a 4000dpi 35mm scan 48bit per pixel and then come back and say how it went

Yikes! :shock: Can't say I've ever tried to edit anything like that! Are you using photoshop right now? How well does it handle that image? Just wondering...

regomodo
October 4th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Yikes! :shock: Can't say I've ever tried to edit anything like that! Are you using photoshop right now? How well does it handle that image? Just wondering...

Yep I use CS2. Works well with it and (after the updates) keeps working fine. CS2 works OKish with 4800dpi scans of 6x6cm 48bit film scans too. For all my D70 Raw files i use Lightroom. I really wish there were OS alternatives.

I never liked Photoshop7 and used Gimp instead but when CS2 came out i haven't looked back. I may get CS3 soon.

This is on Windows XP mind you

Visti
October 4th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Aw, I got all excited.. Well, it's still useless, unless I can get my tablet to work with pressure supported.

Does anybody know how Painter works with Wine?

Zolito
October 5th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Same here: Installation went painless, except that:
-entering serial number is tricky for the first time, as you can't click on the input field, need to use TAB to navigate there.
-Activating is not possible: Returns an error message: "Not enough disk space"
- Could not get my Graphire2 work.

As soon there will be a fix for these, i'll stop thinking on going back to windows. I just need Photoshop, GIMP can not substitute it.

Z.