PDA

View Full Version : Apt-get for Windows?

corney91
September 30th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I came across this article and thought it was quite interesting:http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136454-c,opensource/article.html
It describes a program that does the same thing as apt-get, but for windows. IMO it won't take off as the majority of windows users don't like to use the command line, so anyway, opinions anyone?

Here's the link to the program:Win-Get (http://windows-get.sourceforge.net/)

Polygon
September 30th, 2007, 09:54 PM
nice! i will definitely try this out

Crashmaxx
September 30th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Sounds pretty crappy. Seems it can't even update itself, much less anything it installs. Still have to go through all the next options or just hope the defaults work.

n3tfury
September 30th, 2007, 10:12 PM
dumb. no sense in this at ALL. only nerds might find it neat, most everyone else will not care.

corney91
September 30th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I think it's a step in the right direction. If it sorts out the update thing and adds a GUI, it would be more appealing though. I'd definately prefer it over .exe's.

n3tfury
September 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I think it's a step in the right direction. If it sorts out the update thing and adds a GUI, it would be more appealing though. I'd definately prefer it over .exe's.

explain to me how it's a step in the right direction for windows.

Frak
September 30th, 2007, 10:29 PM
dumb. no sense in this at ALL. only nerds might find it neat, most everyone else will not care.
Hey now, this is one of my favorite programs on Windows, it makes such things as codec installation much easier.

win-get install klite /s

I'm thinking of taking win-get and Winpackman (http://www.winpackman.org/) to merge them into a Synaptic like app.

n3tfury
September 30th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Hey now, this is one of my favorite programs on Windows, it makes such things as codec installation much easier.

win-get install klite /s

again, only nerds will get anything out of this. nothing wrong with being a nerd, but this will not become popular by any means.

Billy_McBong
September 30th, 2007, 10:31 PM
unless it is installed by default i don't think it will be used much

Wiebelhaus
September 30th, 2007, 10:35 PM
WAIT! HOLD THE PRESS!

you mean I could set up a script to install the 2452435243 billionty freaking craplets I have to install on the dozens of windows installs I have to do a week?

omg e-gasm.

corney91
September 30th, 2007, 10:46 PM
explain to me how it's a step in the right direction for windows.

Well, I know that when I switched to linux (from windows), I loved the fact that all the programs where in one place, easy to install. And I'm sure other people find it easier as well. Also after some improvements, I doubt there will be many things different to the package managers on linux, and we all love them;-)

n3tfury
September 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Well, I know that when I switched to linux (from windows), I loved the fact that all the programs where in one place, easy to install. And I'm sure other people find it easier as well. Also after some improvements, I doubt there will be many things different to the package managers on linux, and we all love them;-)

one place? you must mean synaptic. you need to realize most windows users aren't about to ditch their mouse and type ANYTHING in the command line to get programs. not gonna happen.

FuturePilot
September 30th, 2007, 10:51 PM
This is a really cool thing. :)

corney91
September 30th, 2007, 10:57 PM
one place? you must mean synaptic. you need to realize most windows users aren't about to ditch their mouse and type ANYTHING in the command line to get programs. not gonna happen.

Nah, I meant the default repositories, not much else needed than those. And to be honest, there's not that much typing involved, especially if a GUI was developed.

I'm thinking of taking win-get and Winpackman (http://www.winpackman.org/) to merge them into a Synaptic like app.

Sounds cool, I'd be interested to see your reults.

Polygon
September 30th, 2007, 11:13 PM
WAIT! HOLD THE PRESS!

you mean I could set up a script to install the 2452435243 billionty freaking craplets I have to install on the dozens of windows installs I have to do a week?

omg e-gasm.

exactly my point.

and i can care less if its 'a step in the right direction', it looks like its going to help me deal with having to use windows

capink
October 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM
A good package management requires a good package format to start with, something like debian packages. A good package has everything hardcoded into it so that it does not modify files after installing them. One can try to port debian package format to windows (specially for open source programs), but will be confronted with a big obstacle called the registry. Instead of hardcoding the settings of the program in the package (it is a matter of placing a file in /etc), the package manager would have to modify the registry at install and uninstall time, which is not optimal I think.

fynlam
October 1st, 2007, 07:08 PM
it would definately be an imporvement. but its easier to install software on windows and remove it also, althoug maybe not completely remove it. so i don't see a great advantage for it over dling an exe, except maybe to write a .bat file to install things automatically.

jinx099
October 1st, 2007, 07:12 PM
I tried this out a few months ago and I can say from personal experience that it is worthless. All it does is download an exe (usually outdated even) from the vendors site and starts the installer for you.

Pointless.

Frak
October 1st, 2007, 10:31 PM
A good package management requires a good package format to start with, something like debian packages. A good package has everything hardcoded into it so that it does not modify files after installing them. One can try to port debian package format to windows (specially for open source programs), but will be confronted with a big obstacle called the registry. Instead of hardcoding the settings of the program in the package (it is a matter of placing a file in /etc), the package manager would have to modify the registry at install and uninstall time, which is not optimal I think.
Its very possible to make an installer for Windows for use of .deb's and .rpm's via Cygwin and MinGW. I may take that up sometime. Sounds fun, and not that difficult.

phrostbyte
October 1st, 2007, 11:36 PM
This is somewhat of a hack. I don't think it can uninstall or update applications, but just having the ability to unattended install a nice amount of applications is a god-send for Windows. No worries people, it still doesn't match the power of our package manager. :)