PDA

View Full Version : Okay I got something to ask you all

SunnyRabbiera
September 30th, 2007, 07:40 PM
A relatives computer has just busted and now she wants to jump in and buy a new computer, unfortunately all the major OEM's sell vista now and I don.t want her anywhere near vista.
Now I would build her a computer of my own or try talking her into buying a barebones compy but on a personal level I really don't know how to make a box of my own and buying a barebones box wont be good for her as she would want to use it straight off.
So I have an option, buy a OEM computer such as HP or dell, talk her into buying a mac even or talking her into buying a computer with linux.
Now really that last option sounds peachy thus why I could try to talk her into buying a dell as they have Ubuntu, but she is all to familiar with dell to trust them as she had problems with them before.
This is why I might talk her into buying a system 76, it has linux pre installed.
Now I know there are OEM's that sell computers with PCLinux (as I use it myself) but I would not put them high on my chart now as I know little about them, with system 76 I know I can trust pretty much as I hear a lot of positive things about them here... right now its not the distribution that matters, its the operating system and I dont care if the computer is pre installed with sellout Novell or Linspire as long as she is not using vista, now the good thing is that XP is still available, I can get a copy of it and install it over vista but its more money going out of the pocket.
So there it is my dilemma, I need to see if getting a OEM with vista and popping XP over it is a good idea, I mean I could just as easily get a OEM with vista and pop linux over it but I don't want to ruin the warranty, I know with HP at least you can call in and get a copy of XP without it voiding any warranties (they will cover it with a vista refund) but I might want to try her on a Ubuntu based compy with system 76, she is familiar with Ubuntu as she knows I used it and have flashed it to her a few times when she had issues with XP a few months back, but its still Linux in the end and If you guys think I should lure her over to the Ubuntu system 76 side of the force or not.

n3tfury
September 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM
you don't want her near vista. what does she want?

argie
September 30th, 2007, 07:45 PM
If you're fine with HP, you might want to check around. I remember them saying they wanted to do Linux preinstalls.

southernman
September 30th, 2007, 07:46 PM
You can still find OEM's with XP on them. Last time I looked (which was farily recently).

Check on best buy, office max, office depot websites... according to what you have in your location. If all else fails go straight to dell or hp.

JBAlaska
September 30th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Another option is to find a reliable VAR (Value added reseller) in your area that will build a custom box to your (her) specs.

Often you can get a better deal that way than from dell or whatever.

If you can find one who will preinstall Linux all the better, and most likley this person will be a "cut above" others who only do M$ boxes. Cause as we all know Linux geeks are way more leeter than ******* geeks LOL

SunnyRabbiera
September 30th, 2007, 08:08 PM
you don't want her near vista. what does she want?

she just needs a computer period, so the OS doesnt matter, but really I don't trust vista within a million miles and she is aware of its reputation.
She knows of HP quite well so she could get one and get a copy of XP later on but its just more money added on that is not really needed.
This is why I could help her get a computer with linux, more feasible in the end

Bart_D
September 30th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Dell was selling systems that came preloaded with Ubuntu....but only to some countries:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

You can customize the one on the far right for US$1,140 and get 4GB of RAM with 128 MB NVidia 8300 AGP card. Ofcourse, if it were up to me, I'd just pick up an "el-chepo" P4 (or similar) system from BestBuy and upgrade the RAM and VideoCard. Period.

Oh and install Linux-->Ubuntu Gutsy.

SunnyRabbiera
September 30th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Dell was selling systems that came preloaded with Ubuntu....but only to some countries:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

You can customize the one on the far right for US$1,140 and get 4GB of RAM with 128 MB NVidia 8300 AGP card. Ofcourse, if it were up to me, I'd just pick up an "el-chepo" P4 (or similar) system from BestBuy and upgrade the RAM and VideoCard. Period.

Oh and install Linux-->Ubuntu Gutsy.

like I said dell is practically out of the question as she has had rough times with it.

saulgoode
September 30th, 2007, 08:47 PM
When I had to assist a relative in finding an XP Pro machine a few months back, I asked at my local LUG for recommendations. I was not familiar with the local market for independent resellers and all of the chain outlets were offering only Vista.

The stores they recommended all were willing to install whatever OS I wished and even had some machines with XP Pro pre-installed. The prices were quite competitive (actually cheaper, for the machine we eventually bought) than the chain outlets.

HermanAB
September 30th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Both HP and Dell sell PCs with WinXP.

Anyhoo, Vista should work perfectly when bought from HP or Dell, otherwise they will suffer a deluge of complaints, since they sell millions of PCs. It is an expensive rip-off that's all, but it should work OK and to a common user, that is all that counts.

happy-and-lost
September 30th, 2007, 09:01 PM
When I was configuring a Dell, the Ubuntu one came out to £100 more than the equivalent Vista machine. Just get an OEM machine and put Ubuntu on it. It's cheaper.

SunnyRabbiera
September 30th, 2007, 11:00 PM
what about system 76 though?
I know they are good but should I talk her into getting one?

mikewhatever
October 1st, 2007, 12:46 AM
Since you can talk your relative into almost anything, chose between system76 or dell, or get a laptop without an operating system and install yourself.

RAV TUX
October 1st, 2007, 01:01 AM
A relatives computer has just busted and now she wants to jump in and buy a new computer, unfortunately all the major OEM's sell vista now and I don.t want her anywhere near vista.
Now I would build her a computer of my own or try talking her into buying a barebones compy but on a personal level I really don't know how to make a box of my own and buying a barebones box wont be good for her as she would want to use it straight off.
So I have an option, buy a OEM computer such as HP or dell, talk her into buying a mac even or talking her into buying a computer with linux.
Now really that last option sounds peachy thus why I could try to talk her into buying a dell as they have Ubuntu, but she is all to familiar with dell to trust them as she had problems with them before.
This is why I might talk her into buying a system 76, it has linux pre installed.
Now I know there are OEM's that sell computers with PCLinux (as I use it myself) but I would not put them high on my chart now as I know little about them, with system 76 I know I can trust pretty much as I hear a lot of positive things about them here... right now its not the distribution that matters, its the operating system and I dont care if the computer is pre installed with sellout Novell or Linspire as long as she is not using vista, now the good thing is that XP is still available, I can get a copy of it and install it over vista but its more money going out of the pocket.
So there it is my dilemma, I need to see if getting a OEM with vista and popping XP over it is a good idea, I mean I could just as easily get a OEM with vista and pop linux over it but I don't want to ruin the warranty, I know with HP at least you can call in and get a copy of XP without it voiding any warranties (they will cover it with a vista refund) but I might want to try her on a Ubuntu based compy with system 76, she is familiar with Ubuntu as she knows I used it and have flashed it to her a few times when she had issues with XP a few months back, but its still Linux in the end and If you guys think I should lure her over to the Ubuntu system 76 side of the force or not.

Just have her buy a new computer with XP, all of the convertibles(notebook/tablets) come with the option of having Windows XP Tablet Edition 2005 still.

Fujitsu has 2 really sweet new models, I suggest the Fujitsu Lifebook T4220

It will come with XP by default and you can always dual boot to Ubuntu, I did this for a friend of mine on his Fujitsu T4220. Ubuntu installed flawlessly.

If your relative is comfortable with Ubuntu just install Ubuntu.

SunnyRabbiera
October 1st, 2007, 04:11 AM
shes looking for a desktop though, as laptops can be pricey.
but I know I can at least try to get her to dual boot linux and vista.

southernman
October 1st, 2007, 04:14 AM
I am assuming you've read over the number of post that tell you... you can still get xp on a desktop.

Midwest-Linux
October 1st, 2007, 04:24 AM
Another option is to go in one of the many computer re-furb shops out there and get a laptop with a warranty, with Windows XP, with a good size hard drive, wireless and decent Ram for half the cost of a new one. You could always install Ubuntu as a dual boot later on. $350 and up

The going price for a refurb with warranty with 2 Ghz, 80 gig hard drive, 512 MB RAM CDRW/DVD ROM desktop with Windows XP is $225 to $400.

SunnyRabbiera
October 1st, 2007, 04:38 AM
I am assuming you've read over the number of post that tell you... you can still get xp on a desktop.

yes i know, but most of the major ones I know do vista, but if i can get a lower end compy with XP on it then its all good.