PDA

View Full Version : My requirement that Ubuntu don't fulfil

maduranga
September 30th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I like Ubuntu, I do all of my regular works in ubuntu but still I have to keep my Windows installation cos of my Nokia N95 phone. Nokia have been my favorite mobile phone brand (as how Ubuntu became my favorite OS :) (sometimes Xubuntu too)).

working with Pcsuite, Lifeblog is really nice. I dont have such an application in Ubuntu. I tried to run Pcsuite in Ubuntu with emulation softwares, but didn't work. It is hard to imagine that one will develop an open source program that will take the role of the Pcsite Lifeblog etc softwares in Windows. Cos Nokia is the Hardware manufacture as well as the developer of Pcsuite and Lifeblog etc. They do a great job to provide excellent softwares as well as keeping them up to date, specially for recently released high-end mobile phones.

The main reason that I'm having to restart my pc and boot into Windows is the need of Nokia softwares when I want a new song to be stored in my phone (specially in eAAC) or when I came home after going out with friends and shooting some photos or when it is necessary to add the recent chunk of my life to the Life Blog with sms and other stuff.

I believe this problem will completely disappear if Nokia began to develop a Linux friendly versions of softwares that they are currently producing for their mobile phones. isn't it????

To me, Ubuntu isn't a good hardware supporting OS until the above problem remains. Cos as well as printers, scanners and other computer related hardwares, devices that we deals with in our everyday life such as mobile phones, PDAs should also be able to get integrated with the computer that we are using for, specific tasks.

(I'm new to open source philosophy, and what i have expressed is what I just thought. I kindly ask you to correct me if I'm wrong)
And please post what you are thinking of it or if use an alternated method for above mentioned task to be accomplished)
(sorry for the bad English)

Sef
September 30th, 2007, 01:39 PM
(sorry for the bad English)

Actually your English is rather good.

n3tfury
September 30th, 2007, 01:40 PM
if your pc specs are decent you can run XP in virtualbox and use your nokia software in that. no need to reboot your pc.

n3tfury
September 30th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Actually your English is rather good.

indeed.

much better than reading "cn u hlp meh w my prblmz?" and those are some Americans.

rubbish i say.

PmDematagoda
September 30th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Hey another Sri Lankan:), it's been some time, I thought I was the only one in Ubuntu Forums.:-D

weatherman
September 30th, 2007, 02:06 PM
and don't forget to send an email to nokia complaining about the missing linux support :KS

Bartender
September 30th, 2007, 03:03 PM
maduranga -
Your ire is misdirected. Do you think Microsoft wrote the Nokia software? Of course not. Nokia wrote the software, and they only bothered to write enuf code so that your phone works with the OS that most of their customers use.

People keep giving Microsoft undeserved credit.

Considering that Linux gets very little/none of this free help from Nokia, Canon, Lexmark, etc. I think it's flat-out amazing that so many peripheral devices DO work in Linux.

Arwen
September 30th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I have a NOKIA N70 and I managed to make ObexFTP work and now I can transfer music and pics from/to ubuntu and have no reason to dualboot.Why don't you try out?

ryno519
September 30th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I have a NOKIA N70 and I managed to make ObexFTP work and now I can transfer music and pics from/to ubuntu and have no reason to dualboot.Why don't you try out?

Perhaps you could post a HOWTO in the tutorials section and describe exactly how you managed to do that. :)

nowshining
September 30th, 2007, 04:54 PM
why do you need to put everything you do or have done on the internet :) not even I an Internet Addict will do that. So you could give up the Put everything about Your life and move on from there. - suggestion

n3tfury
September 30th, 2007, 04:59 PM
why do you need to put everything you do or have done on the internet :) not even I an Internet Addict will do that. So you could give up the Put everything about Your life and move on from there. - suggestion

so he asked for a tutorial. that's putting "everything about your life" on the internet?

ryno519
September 30th, 2007, 05:17 PM

...what?

macogw
September 30th, 2007, 05:30 PM
indeed.

much better than reading "cn u hlp meh w my prblmz?" and those are some Americans.

rubbish i say.

We don't all type like that--just junior-high students.

n3tfury
September 30th, 2007, 05:31 PM
We don't all type like that--just junior-high students.

i'm from the US too, but unfortunately it spans beyond junior high.

macogw
September 30th, 2007, 05:34 PM
i'm from the US too, but unfortunately it spans beyond junior high.

People still think they're "too cool" for English once they stop being 12? Damn.

n3tfury
September 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM
i know. sad isn't it.

maduranga
September 30th, 2007, 06:16 PM
maduranga -
Your ire is misdirected. Do you think Microsoft wrote the Nokia software? Of course not. Nokia wrote the software, and they only bothered to write enuf code so that your phone works with the OS that most of their customers use.

People keep giving Microsoft undeserved credit.

Considering that Linux gets very little/none of this free help from Nokia, Canon, Lexmark, etc. I think it's flat-out amazing that so many peripheral devices DO work in Linux.

Of course, microsoft didn't wrote the nokia software. A company don't write software or drivers for the other company's products. I have clearly mentioned that both manufacturer for the hardware and the developer for the software is nokia. And I don't give credit for microsoft.

While all are talking about how linux is replacing windows, I just wanted to tell what I have experienced with my computing. In my country, majority of mobile phones users are using nokia and SE. I have spent about 850$ for my nokia phone and i want to get it usable at its maximum. Don't want to throw anything away. And the other thing is i don't own microsoft or nokia, so I can't do anything about this. I'm just a Ubuntu Feisty Fawn user and what I told is what i thought.

maduranga
September 30th, 2007, 06:23 PM
And the other thing is rebooting my pc takes only about few minutes. rebooting isn't the problem. The problem is I have to use two OSs. I like ubuntu, and i like linux. ubuntu is my favorite. I do most of my works in ubuntu and i want to do all of my works in ubuntu. Using Windows by emulating it is also requires a legal copy windows os. And proves the need of microsoft OSs.

PmDematagoda
September 30th, 2007, 06:36 PM
What programs do you need to use? It can't be argued that some software only work on Windows, but there are good alternatives or Linux versions of those software for Linux as well. There may be alternatives for your Nokia software, but functionality may be in doubt, especially as you have an N95.

popch
September 30th, 2007, 07:31 PM
And the other thing is i don't own microsoft or nokia, so I can't do anything about this.

Nearly true.

You can make a difference if you complain to Nokia. If you are expected to pay that horrendous sum just for a phone which would buy you a very nice notbook PC, you can reasonably expect it to work with your PC as well. It's not that Unix and Linux are totally unheard of in the industry at large. Besides, since OS X is unix, you'd expect that porting an application to both Linux and Mac OS x would just cost about the same as porting it to only one of those.

maduranga
October 1st, 2007, 05:43 AM
yep, complaining is a good idea. But as i know, nokia and se is two giants in mobile phone developing. so, most of nokia users should have felt uncomfortable with handling their devices with linux. I have used OBEX using some inux based programs. but they aren't good as nokia's original softwares. i use a nokia phone. But i thing theres is a similar problem with most of other mobile phone and PDAs.

Atomic Dog
October 1st, 2007, 06:39 AM
Maybe I missed something, but would a virtual windows machine take care of your Nokia software needs and keep you from needing to reboot the machine? I use a VM for certain apps & stuff I need that are only Win friendly.

As far as I can tell there are some Win VMs that can be downloaded through bittorrent, VMware player, VirtualBox, and parrallels are three vendors I am familiar with. I would say VirtualBox would probably be your best bet, and can be downloaded through Synaptic. As far as a downloadable winVM...not exactly sure, but there are many ways you can get your hands on "grey area" XP discs to create a new VM install.

NikoC
October 1st, 2007, 07:12 AM
Well I keep returning to windows for a couple of reasons:

1) a lot of software I use for my work does not work under Linux systems (not via emulating software like wine and I think it's a bit dumb to run a VM which is annoyingly slow on my system so I might as well run the software natively in windows)

2) all people in the lab (exept 1 colleague and myself now and then) are hooked up to ms office and the .doc format which is not fully compatible with open office for certain layouts; perhaps I should try convincing people to use .pdf ;-)

3) albeit, windows works fne as a desktop system and is quite safe when used correctly (not installing unknown software, clicking on any link you see or reading mail from unknown senders)

And yet I keep messing around with linux systems as well... I think it's just the hunger for learning new things... going to try out MacOS soon as well!

Atomic Dog
October 1st, 2007, 08:11 AM
Not sure how much memory you have, or the processor, but I have Feisty running on a 1.5gig celeron-M toshiba laptop which runs a vmware 5.5 XP machine most adequately. Not going to set the world on fire, but MS office runs just file as long as I allocate about 4xx meg of ram.

I have a C2D laptop with 2 gig ram and the VM is very snappy. I just don't see where you say your VM is far too slow unless you have an older laptop with limited ram.

Anyway. Good luck with windows.

n3tfury
October 1st, 2007, 11:31 AM
Maybe I missed something, but would a virtual windows machine take care of your Nokia software needs and keep you from needing to reboot the machine? I use a VM for certain apps & stuff I need that are only Win friendly.

yeah, you're missing something. where i suggested it on page one.