PDA

View Full Version : Man you guys should try out Lynx - it's awesom

nowshining
September 30th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah i used it to type this out :) in a terminal via ctrl + alt + f1 hehe i'm just learning it and well one down and now i only gotta figure out how to dial out via the terminal so one problem down and another ready to be explored and answered. To use lynx ctrl + alt + f1 or in a terminal type lynx and the url and to go to another url type G up and down arrow keys select links and left goes back a page and right activates the highlighted link that is selected and space goes down a page. :) oh and capital V when asked to allow cookies means never and y is accept and n is no not right now. :) this is awesome. Better than firefox for basic text sites, i'm thinking of switching to this when only browsing and if need be to restart the gui when I need to.

edited with Firefox GUI tho on some things..

bobbocanfly
September 30th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Lynx is absolutely brilliant. I use it when setting up Headless servers and i havent installed openssh-server yet, properly useful.

Also if you are wanting to leave out the GUI unless you really want it, you can disable G/KDM on startup so you boot into a CLI environment. After this you can type startx to launch X Window System (And therefore GNOME). Tis what i do.

nowshining
September 30th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I plan on using the Gui , example as I am browsing and posting this via lynx :) and still getting used to it, i have rythmbox on and listening to music again while surfing the forums. :) I like GUIs the most but am getting used to CLIs also since i only can get 3hrs on a good connection per session before i'll have to re-dial in - i'll have to use the GUI to check before times up :( and also since I still do not know how to dial up using the CLI - itta be the GUI for now :/. Oh and I'll use the GUI firefox for somethings - i'd tho like to get images working instead of links in lynx. :)

az
September 30th, 2007, 12:52 PM
w3m is the newer version of lynx. It is included on any Ubuntu install. The only difference between lynx and w3m is that w3m supports more character sets that just english.

nowshining
September 30th, 2007, 01:40 PM
i'm just using english :) so no need for other languages for now.

ice60
September 30th, 2007, 02:20 PM
i think elinks is the best cli browser.

if you press . all the links are given numbers so it's easier to navigate, you can use the mouse too if you want to click on links instead of using the keyboard, and i think elinks looks better then Lynx and w3m.

nowshining
September 30th, 2007, 02:29 PM
well i figured out how to dial out to the internet - :) hmmm i think lynx can use numbers for the links in the options - gotta check ;)

ice60
September 30th, 2007, 02:50 PM
all the cli browsers are pretty cool, i've still got some lynx aliases that i haven't changed to elinks, like
alias google='lynx http://google.co.uk'