PDA

View Full Version : KDE= Bad for Health

GSF1200S
September 30th, 2007, 10:40 AM
How many times has your blood boiled as a result of KDE? I sometimes get so annoyed with some stupid antic of KDE that I literally want to wipe my hard drive and never use it again.

For example, today I opened a .tgz file with Konqueror. No prob, moved the internal contents to the desktop so I could use the folder. Well, after having a ton of .tgz's to work with, I got tired of manually having to select Konqueror from the list that pops up when the file type is unknown. So, I checked the "always use this application" option when choosing konqueror to open the file.

And guess what? KDE gives me a message that Konqueror cant open .tgz files (even though it did five minutes before). Going to the file associations dialog and removing konqueror from the list does no good- its now official that Konqueror on my install will no longer view the contents of a tarball! Every time I try, konqueror opens and then a box pops up asking me what program I should use to open the tarball.

Dolphin will, but Konqueror wont anymore... Its times like this when I really think about going back to Gnome..

How about you guys? Im sure most of you have tried KDE.. Any annoying occurences that simply make you WANT to have an aneurysm?

tehet
September 30th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Are you sure its not Ark that opens the .tgz files?

a ton of .tgz's to work with
Then use the CLI.

KDE is brilliant.

samjh
September 30th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I always thought it was Ark that opened archive files, not Konquerer.

Never had a problem like that.

GSF1200S
September 30th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Are you sure its not Ark that opens the .tgz files?

Then use the CLI.

KDE is brilliant.

Perhaps it is, but youre kinda missing the point. Sure, I can use the CLI, but I shouldnt have to when Konqueror used to open tarballs up just fine...

Besides, that was just an example- im looking for other crazy things that people have had with KDE. Peace now.. im not flaming here- I use KDE myself, but there is definitely problems and definitely room for improvement..

**EDIT** Ark doesnt come with KDE-core, which is what I use. I did just install it, but its still crazy that Konqueror wont view a tarball anymore.

Darkhack
September 30th, 2007, 11:05 AM
File a bug report. GNOME has bugs too. Some of them are even worse and actually hinder functionality in the name of usability. This is one of the biggest reasons Torvalds dislikes GNOME. I like GNOME, but I'll admit that I've seen my share of insane developers. Apparently checkboxes are bad and a couple are insane enough to admit that there is "nothing" wrong with the open/save dialog in GNOME. Using that dialog is like trying to go up stairs on crutches. It can be done, but it won't be easy.

I like both GNOME and KDE pretty equally. GNOME seems to be of more interest to me because of a regular release schedule, support from many big name distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, etc), and the most important reason, in my opinion, is that GTK+ is under the LGPL license. This means commercial developers can use it without paying expensive licensing fees like they would have to if they used Qt. Right now the Linux community needs to be as welcoming to commercial developers as possible if we expect to grow. This is also the reason I favor the BSD license over the GPL.

sunexplodes
September 30th, 2007, 11:07 AM
My beefs with KDE are mostly based around Konqueror/Dolphin. When I use a desktop environment, I prefer to use native apps, and neither of those FMs satisfy me. Dolphin won't allow me to use my mouse's back button, which turns me off of it immediately. My problems with Konqueror mostly center around the fact that it's use of tabbed browsing is kind of crappy.

But I have a few other beefs too, but it's been too long since I used kde, I can't rmember them offhand.

GSF1200S
September 30th, 2007, 11:20 AM
File a bug report. GNOME has bugs too. Some of them are even worse and actually hinder functionality in the name of usability. This is one of the biggest reasons Torvalds dislikes GNOME. I like GNOME, but I'll admit that I've seen my share of insane developers. Apparently checkboxes are bad and a couple are insane enough to admit that there is "nothing" wrong with the open/save dialog in GNOME. Using that dialog is like trying to go up stairs on crutches. It can be done, but it won't be easy.

I like both GNOME and KDE pretty equally. GNOME seems to be of more interest to me because of a regular release schedule, support from many big name distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, etc), and the most important reason, in my opinion, is that GTK+ is under the LGPL license. This means commercial developers can use it without paying expensive licensing fees like they would have to if they used Qt. Right now the Linux community needs to be as welcoming to commercial developers as possible if we expect to grow. This is also the reason I favor the BSD license over the GPL.

We look at the whole KDE/GNOME thing pretty much the same. Generally, I view GNOME as more stable, and the LGPL is definitely a plus. It sucks though that the DE we encourage developers to build for, as well as the one that is used by all the major distros happens to be one that focuses on removing functionallity in favor of simplicity. Nautilus angers me (not more the Konqueror today, lol), yet at the same time Qt really kills KDE in its hopes of commercial and OSS explosion (well, not really the OSS part since trolltech allows QT to be released LGPL if used for OSS instead of commercial).

Yeah, Gnome has bugs, but they are consistent ones, whereas KDE seems to have random crap happening quite often. I hold REALLY high hopes for KDE4, because if they can nail stability, then KDE will be set. I submit my bug reports, and I will admit, its not THAT bad (like windows bad), but its bad enough to notice on a daily basis.

Of course, there is always the underdog which may take off in a few years: XFCE. With the LGPL licensing, the lightweight, and the well rounded approach it takes to simplicity vs. function, it really has a chance too. If anything, Id rather see developers jump towards XFCE- its lightweight and licensing could make it ideal for business, and its ease of use/configurability perfect for the home user.

jbaerbock
September 30th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Kubuntu kept screwing up and many odd querks such as me clicking on firefox once and 5 forefox loading boxes appear on the kicker. And suddenly it decided it no longer wanted to shut down. So alas I came back to the original ubuntu w/gnome and feel more at home than ever.

GeneralZod
September 30th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Just FYI: "Embedding->Show File in Embedded Viewer". I agree that it's lame that Konqueror claims it can't open tgz files when it can, though.

blueturtl
September 30th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Any annoying occurences that simply make you WANT to have an aneurysm?

What you describe is exactly the kind of thing that made me go back to Windows for a long while. The first distro I tried used KDE as the main desktop environment. It had all sorts of little bugs and crashes all around and most of them seemed to be completely random and tedious in nature. The crashes were everything but consistent so I couldn't even file bugs. Eventually I had enough. The core system was stable, I could tell that, but I couldn't handle the constant flow of little errors and error messages. It seemed like I was trading one sort of stability for another.

I didn't get properly introduced to Gnome before Ubuntu. Ubuntu's Gnome seems stable and quite usable. The only thing I really regret is the fact I have been unable to customize my screensavers since Breezy Badger (5.10). Has anyone filed a bug report on that btw? Because AFAIK that was a decision on the part of the devs and I want that functionality BACK.

So as to justify posting in this thread I do have to say that using Ubuntu daily has made me a much happier computer user. With Windows I was constantly angry or at least slightly irritated. This is not to bash Windows or KDE but I acknowledge the fact that fighting with your tools (which is what they are) does have an ill effect on your blood pressure and nerves.

Nekiruhs
September 30th, 2007, 04:40 PM
What you describe is exactly the kind of thing that made me go back to Windows for a long while. The first distro I tried used KDE as the main desktop environment. It had all sorts of little bugs and crashes all around and most of them seemed to be completely random and tedious in nature. The crashes were everything but consistent so I couldn't even file bugs. Eventually I had enough. The core system was stable, I could tell that, but I couldn't handle the constant flow of little errors and error messages. It seemed like I was trading one sort of stability for another.

I didn't get properly introduced to Gnome before Ubuntu. Ubuntu's Gnome seems stable and quite usable. The only thing I really regret is the fact I have been unable to customize my screensavers since Breezy Badger (5.10). Has anyone filed a bug report on that btw? Because AFAIK that was a decision on the part of the devs and I want that functionality BACK.

So as to justify posting in this thread I do have to say that using Ubuntu daily has made me a much happier computer user. With Windows I was constantly angry or at least slightly irritated. This is not to bash Windows or KDE but I acknowledge the fact that fighting with your tools (which is what they are) does have an ill effect on your blood pressure and nerves.
Bug reports have been filed, but quite frankly the devs don't care. They don't like giving people options, only defaults.

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 04:44 PM
How many times has your blood boiled as a result of KDE? I sometimes get so annoyed with some stupid antic of KDE that I literally want to wipe my hard drive and never use it again.

For example, today I opened a .tgz file with Konqueror. No prob, moved the internal contents to the desktop so I could use the folder. Well, after having a ton of .tgz's to work with, I got tired of manually having to select Konqueror from the list that pops up when the file type is unknown. So, I checked the "always use this application" option when choosing konqueror to open the file.

And guess what? KDE gives me a message that Konqueror cant open .tgz files (even though it did five minutes before). Going to the file associations dialog and removing konqueror from the list does no good- its now official that Konqueror on my install will no longer view the contents of a tarball! Every time I try, konqueror opens and then a box pops up asking me what program I should use to open the tarball.

Dolphin will, but Konqueror wont anymore... Its times like this when I really think about going back to Gnome..

How about you guys? Im sure most of you have tried KDE.. Any annoying occurences that simply make you WANT to have an aneurysm?

;)

Instead of being stuck in the KDE, GNOME, XFCE rut, try a new path and use Enlightenment 17 and free yourself of your shackles and headaches.

igknighted
September 30th, 2007, 05:04 PM
;)

Instead of being stuck in the KDE, GNOME, XFCE rut, try a new path and use Enlightenment 17 and free yourself of your shackles and headaches.

ick... e17 has the most obnxious menu's to get around I have ever seen, very few apps and the thing looks incredibly cheesy. It really is a novelty as far as I am concerned, not a real DE I could work on.

I echo the sentiments on KDE and Gnome above. I find KDE has weird, very annoying bugs, but the philosophy of Gnome makes me want to pull my hair out. I need to have all the options presented to me.

Xfce isn't a bad choice if you give it a shot, I'm not using it right now, and it does make you do a lot of the modifications manually (like text files at times), but it is configurable and powerful, yet lightweight at the same time.

chameleonkid
September 30th, 2007, 05:13 PM
None.

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 05:14 PM
ick... e17 has the most obnxious menu's to get around I have ever seen, very few apps and the thing looks incredibly cheesy. It really is a novelty as far as I am concerned, not a real DE I could work on.

I echo the sentiments on KDE and Gnome above. I find KDE has weird, very annoying bugs, but the philosophy of Gnome makes me want to pull my hair out. I need to have all the options presented to me.

Xfce isn't a bad choice if you give it a shot, I'm not using it right now, and it does make you do a lot of the modifications manually (like text files at times), but it is configurable and powerful, yet lightweight at the same time.

Nah. Enlightenment 17 is the most advanced and user friendly DE(Shell).

e17 is my primary choice. Ever application that exist in GNOME, KDE, and XFCE can be used in e17.

There is a learning curve, e17 is the only truly unique Linux DE and it does expect you to become familiar with it.

Also e17 is fully customizable, so essentially e17 and your experience with it, is what you make it.

If you find frustration with e17 it is because of lack of knowledge not any inhibitions from e17.

macogw
September 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Er....what's wrong with it? Other than opening up way too small so that you have to scroll far...I don't see a problem.

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Honestly if you want simplicity of use in a DE you should use Fluxbox.

If you want a more advanced DE(Shell) use Enlightenment 17.

a12ctic
September 30th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I swich between gnome and XFCE and sporadically try KDE and openbox. In terms of usabilty, stablity, speed, and looks, I have to say that XFCE wins by a longshot right now. XFCE is the only DE that I can really use without getting frustrated with. Its really what a GTK based desktop should be. I've always loved XFCE but it always lacked a strong file manager, but now thunar destroys nautilus and konq.

-grubby
September 30th, 2007, 05:50 PM
with GNOME my flash drive is recognized. Not with KDE

miggols99
September 30th, 2007, 07:08 PM
with GNOME my flash drive is recognized. Not with KDE

I hope this doesn't turn into one of those GNOME vs. KDE threads...

Anyway...I think that E17 looks pretty nice, but it would be even better if it had it's own set of apps. It's like running Gtk apps in KDE. Slow. Well the startup is slow. I have yet to try out a WM like Openbox or Fluxbox.

-grubby
September 30th, 2007, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=miggols99;3452050]I hope this doesn't turn into one of those GNOME vs. KDE threads...

That's not what I wanted, but I think it's odd that KDE doesn't recognize it. I use KDE anyway

Andrewie
September 30th, 2007, 08:03 PM
That's not what I wanted, but I think it's odd that KDE doesn't recognize it. I use KDE anyway

:confused: There is nothing about this thread that doesn't say flame war lol.

Including KDE, or Gnome in the title of a thread is instant flame war. :lolflag:

GSF1200S
September 30th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Nah. Enlightenment 17 is the most advanced and user friendly DE(Shell).

e17 is my primary choice. Ever application that exist in GNOME, KDE, and XFCE can be used in e17.

There is a learning curve, e17 is the only truly unique Linux DE and it does expect you to become familiar with it.

Also e17 is fully customizable, so essentially e17 and your experience with it, is what you make it.

If you find frustration with e17 it is because of lack of knowledge not any inhibitions from e17.

Im gonna have to agree with both you and igknighted here. I personally find E17's menu system extremely annoying. At the same time, the look seems very polished (esp. if you use a theme like Darkness), and it seems to work well once its setup. I never could get stalonetray to work right, and trayer looks horrible.. and come on.. I would at least like the option of a digital clock. I like E17- I have it installed now as a matter of fact, but I think it needs more development.

KDE bug of the day: my ram meter on my task bar shows that im not using ANY ram, despite me using 1024MB with a bunch of programs and virtualbox...

Oh, and no this was not really meant to be a flame war- weve all been pretty good to not start name-calling. KDE, GNOME, XFCE, E17, Fluxbox, Openbox, etc, all have their merits and demerits.. I just happen to be talking about KDEs.

Frak
September 30th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I like KDE, it's getting alot better, and its apps are very powerful.

Konsole
KTorrent
Ksudoku
etc.

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I like KDE, it's getting alot better, and its apps are very powerful.

Konsole
KTorrent
Ksudoku
etc.

K3B
AmaroK
Konversation

GSF1200S
September 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM
K3B
AmaroK
Konversation

Dont forget:

Kontact
KoulorPaint
Kopete
Yakuake

Frak
September 30th, 2007, 11:28 PM
K3B
AmaroK
Konversation

Dont forget:

Kontact
KoulorPaint
Kopete
Yakuake

I can't believe I forgot those :mad:

The DE is getting better, its not the best, but the apps are very powerful. :guitar:

Also, technically, Parallels and VirtualBox are also KDE apps.

epimer
September 30th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Qt != KDE

Frak
September 30th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Qt != KDE
Yet, on the converse KDE = Qt.
And the converse is true.
Also

Qt apps will work with a DE iff a KDE and/or Qt library is present.

pelle.k
October 1st, 2007, 12:11 AM
Its times like this when I really think about going back to Gnome..
I *love* kde (and have used it extensively). atm i use gnome though, because i feel kde has lot on nifty features, but can be quite buggy. The bugs got on my nerves in the long run (small things, really, but nonetheless).
I have high hopes for kde4 with a new codebase though!

The question you should ask is, what does serve *you* best. kde? gnome? something else?
Both have their cons and pros, and only you can decide what is best for *you*.
You can always change your mind! ;)

GSF1200S
October 1st, 2007, 02:33 AM
I *love* kde (and have used it extensively). atm i use gnome though, because i feel kde has lot on nifty features, but can be quite buggy. The bugs got on my nerves in the long run (small things, really, but nonetheless).
I have high hopes for kde4 with a new codebase though!

The question you should ask is, what does serve *you* best. kde? gnome? something else?
Both have their cons and pros, and only you can decide what is best for *you*.
You can always change your mind! ;)

The answer is KDE. I love how I can tailor it to do EXACTLY what I need it to regaurdless of the situation. I too have high hopes for the introduction of KDE4- I think with the added options and the new codebase, things will be alot better. Im just saying that as it stands now, GNOME is more stable in its everyday behavior.

And lets take a look at the divisions between the two. GNOME is so heavily used in the business world, that it almost seems a better option to learn GTK+ versus C++(Qt). And with the LGPL only applying to open source, it really cripples KDE's ability to spread across all facets of the business/home user world. Of course, at the same time, programming seems to be a sketchy way to try and learn a living as its all being outsourced to India inc... Id prolly rather design for OSS in my spare time. I would really LOVE to be involved in the development of KDE improvements, but just to be a developer prolly requires a degree and ALOT of experience.

Overall, I like KDE, especially if 4 brings more stability, so thats where im staying.

p_quarles
October 1st, 2007, 03:01 AM
Overall, I like KDE, especially if 4 brings more stability, so thats where im staying.
I agree wholeheartedly. The integration and overall usability of KDE is amazing, but you it's pretty common to get annoying little bugs.

For instance, about an hour ago, my panel crashed, and my mouse-bindings went with it (the left button opens the kmenu). This required restarting the DE. Aside from that, I've had recurring problems with my laptop not loading the network manager on startup, and refusing to load it manually. On my desktop, Beryl occasionally fails to come up. By itself, that's fine, since it's easy to load -- but instead of Beryl, it opens konsole and two instances of konqueror.

These things don't bother me a lot, but they are annoying, and I'm really hoping that version 4 irons out some of this instability.