PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a new computer

Noah0504
September 30th, 2007, 04:09 AM
In the next coming months, I think I might buy a new computer.

I've really been thinking about buying and Apple computer. At first I was looking at a MacBook, but after a trip to the Apple store in the city, I think it was clear that I need to go after an iMac if I'm going Apple. (I have a laptop that's only a little over a year old. So, I don't necessarily need something portable.) If I went with a Mac, I probably wouldn't try running Ubuntu on it.

I was also thinking about looking into one of the open-source PCs Dell has to offer. They seem pretty reasonable, and I like the idea of everything being compatible with Linux out of the box.

Anyone care to offer a suggestion?

tbroderick
September 30th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Save your money and stick with the notebook you already have.

p_quarles
September 30th, 2007, 04:21 AM
It really depends on what you need to be able to do. If you plan to use this computer for professional desktop publishing and video editing, then go with the iMac.

If you just want a general use computer, go with Dell.

If you want something that looks cool, go buy yourself a case and stuff it with the parts it needs.

The latter two options, by the way, will save you a good deal of cash.

Noah0504
September 30th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Yeah, my main reason for wanting a Mac is that I've always wanted one. ;)

I should also mention that I think the fan in my notebook is dying. That's a $90 repair unless I can find the part on eBay.

tbroderick
September 30th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Spend $90 to fix the fan and donate $1000+ to your favorite charity. ;)

southernman
September 30th, 2007, 07:20 AM
*southernman is now known as Noah0504's favority charity - XD

System76 does a good job of *nix based laptops so I hear and they too have their own subforum here.

If you want to help the GNU/Linux OEM support, definately buy a Dell with Ubuntu preloaded.

stijngysemans
September 30th, 2007, 07:36 AM
the dell xps 1330 also looks nice!
(if I could buy a Ubuntu-dell, I would, but I don't live in that region)

stmiller
September 30th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Laptop: Mac or Thinkpad are arguably the best notebooks ever made, and don't look like @ss.

Desktop: Dell or build-your-own are best for your money. You can build an AMDX2 system for around $400...