PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a printer...recommendations?

miggols99
September 29th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I am looking for a printer which will be used to print quite a lot..I would like one that works in 64bit. Which type of printer do you guys recommend? I would prefer having one that connects directly to my router, so I can use it at any time (a network printer). I don't want a cheap £20 inkjet printer (I currently have one now :P ) and I want one that only prints. No all in one printers. By the way I would prefer if you could link to UK websites or a model number I don't mind ;)

Polygon
September 30th, 2007, 02:30 AM
my dad has a HP LaserJet 1022nw which works flawlessly over our network (black and white)

and i also have a hp photosmart 7450 attached to my computer via usb cable and it also works flawlessly (color)

ive had good experiences with hp printers so stick with them I guess

HermanAB
September 30th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Nowadays most printers work with Linux. A quick way to get some confidence is to look for any mention of Apple Macintosh on the box. If it works with a Mac, then it will work with Linux.

p_quarles
September 30th, 2007, 03:52 AM
I agree with Polygon on this one: go with HP. Drivers for most of their printers are open-sourced, so it's very easy to get them working beautifully with Linux.

That said, pay careful attention to the capacity of the toner/ink cartridge that the printer uses. HP, like all printer vendors in the last few years, is currently trying to get you to buy a cheap printer that will
run up your cartridge bills like crazy. Paying US$50-$100 more for a printer with an honest cartridge capacity will save you money in the long run.

handydan918
September 30th, 2007, 03:52 AM
I am looking for a printer which will be used to print quite a lot..I would like one that works in 64bit. Which type of printer do you guys recommend? I would prefer having one that connects directly to my router, so I can use it at any time (a network printer). I don't want a cheap £20 inkjet printer (I currently have one now :P ) and I want one that only prints. No all in one printers. By the way I would prefer if you could link to UK websites or a model number I don't mind ;)
HP has some of the best support for Linux. The vast majority of HP printers are supported.
As far as the network printer thing goes, it doesn't matter. You can network any printer with Linux. The only trick is you have to leave the computer to which the printer is connected "on" in order for other hosts to print to it.
See the link below for more info on supported printers.
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/DatabaseIntro

Enjoy!

pluviosity
September 30th, 2007, 03:59 AM
I have an HP as well; it's an HP PSC 1610 all-in-one. Even the scanner part works in Linux :)

LookTJ
September 30th, 2007, 04:19 AM
If you are looking for a network printer(color included), I suggest HP Deskjet 6980xi. it can be connected to your router by wireless or the cord.

miggols99
September 30th, 2007, 04:38 PM
So are you guys recommending a laserjet and HP? I hear that they are quite expensive. How much does toner cost by the way? And in the long run does it work out cheaper?

helliewm
September 30th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I have an HP Photosmart 3180 Printer, Copier and Scanner. It works brilliantly was cheap about £50 and cartridges are cheap. It also works flawlessly out of the box.

The best printer I have ever had. :)

Helen

n3tfury
September 30th, 2007, 05:00 PM
another vote for aych pee

Sunforge
September 30th, 2007, 05:08 PM
If you think you're going to do a lot of black and white printing you really can't go wrong with a B/W HP laserjet. Their toner cartridges last forever, they're very reliable and they check all the right boxes when it comes to Linux support.

miggols99
September 30th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I will probably get a colour one, so black and white is out. So...how much is toner? Is it cheaper than inkjets in the long run (£30 for one black and white and one colour - doesn't last very long :P ) ??

macogw
September 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM
So are you guys recommending a laserjet and HP? I hear that they are quite expensive. How much does toner cost by the way? And in the long run does it work out cheaper?

It goes like this:
inkjet printer: like $60
laserjet: like $120

inkjet cartridge: $30
laserjet toner: $60

inkjet cartridge lifespan: a few hundred sheets
laserjet toner lifespan: a few thousand sheets

Laserjets are always more cost-effective. That's why businesses use them. Silly home users who don't consider the cartridge's capacity buy inkjet's because the printer itself is cheaper, then complain because they have to buy more ink every 2 months.

stmiller
September 30th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Inkjets are good for pictures; laser good for b/w.

Laser printers are cheap now (in the $100 range), and you won't spend $50 a week on messy inkjet carts. One $80 toner cart can last two years.

Samsung develops Linux drivers for their laser printers. Check out ones such as the ML-2250. Plug and play with Linux.

miggols99
September 30th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Ok so a HP laserjet? Thanks everyone. :D

Sammi
September 30th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Laserjets are far more cost efficient in the long run than inkjets, they print faster, and generally they simply give far less headaches.

And you should be realistic about the color aspect. How often do you really need to print in color? Submitting a school paper with colored pictures really doesn't give better grades. Nor does any employer think your paper is better because you printed in color. It's just not realistic to think that color matters in these kinds of things.