PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's delay gives Ubuntu a chance

agger
August 12th, 2005, 07:52 AM
As seen on eweek.com:

Vista gives the Linux desktop a chance

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1847461,00.asp

A quote:
"It's late, it's lame and installing it won't be cheap, so now is the perfect time for Linux desktop vendors to make a charge at Microsoft".

And as Ubuntu is the really friendly out-of-the-box desktop installation: Now's the time for Ubuntu to take a swipe at Microsoft's market share :-).

As soon as Breezy is released and I upgraded Hoary succesfully, I'll order a lot of Breezy Shipit CDs and get rolling.

Friends don't let friends run Windows! :-)

jerome bettis
August 12th, 2005, 08:24 AM
http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/10/0,1425,sz=1&i=102880,00.jpg

LMAO i thought this was the big thing with vista, permissions. and you can just turn them off.

hahahah $50 says 95% of users say yes the first time they are asked that question.

it looks to me like they hired a bunch of graphic designers, and fired some programmers. what's going to make more profit? ](*,)

drizek
August 12th, 2005, 08:25 AM
As seen on eweek.com:

Vista gives the Linux desktop a chance

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1847461,00.asp

A quote:
"It's late, it's lame and installing it won't be cheap, so now is the perfect time for Linux desktop vendors to make a charge at Microsoft".

And as Ubuntu is the really friendly out-of-the-box desktop installation: Now's the time for Ubuntu to take a swipe at Microsoft's market share :-).

As soon as Breezy is released and I upgraded Hoary succesfully, I'll order a lot of Breezy Shipit CDs and get rolling.

Friends don't let friends run Windows! :-)

ya, ive been thinking that. every feature they cut is just another reason to use ubuntu.

vista will be the first windows release where the linux desktop will be superior or equal in a lot of ways. i dont follow gnome too much, but i do know that KDE 4 is going to be awesome. when windows xp was first released, it had a usability/visual edge over both windows 9x and KDE/gnome. but that advantage is now gone, and even reversed in some cases.

on top of that, we have another 3 or so years after longhorn until blackcomb(which is going to be a minor release anyway) in which the linux desktop can catch up where it needs to and leapfrog MS.

Lord Illidan
August 12th, 2005, 08:29 AM
True..and until Vista is released in 2006, Linux distributions can be improved a lot more, from the windows look-a-likes...a.k.a ...Linspire, Xandros... to Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora, to Debian, Gentoo, etc...

Which means that the crop of Linux distributions will be attacking Windows from all fronts.

Improving Reiser FS to become as good as WinFS, which is not even on Vista will also be cool, and making KDE or Cairo better than Vista's UI, Avalon, will be a hit.

drizek
August 12th, 2005, 08:52 AM
True..and until Vista is released in 2006, Linux distributions can be improved a lot more, from the windows look-a-likes...a.k.a ...Linspire, Xandros... to Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora, to Debian, Gentoo, etc...

Which means that the crop of Linux distributions will be attacking Windows from all fronts.

Improving Reiser FS to become as good as WinFS, which is not even on Vista will also be cool, and making KDE or Cairo better than Vista's UI, Avalon, will be a hit.

winFS is not a filesystem, ReiserFS is not a search engine ;)

winFS is going to be in vista for teh most part. they will just add more features to it in mid-2007(thats the plan at least). reiserFS has nothing to do with searching though.

kde 4 will have tenor, which will not only search stuff by metadata, but will also use the metadata to link different files together.

for example, lets say theres a picture of you and mark in spain. the description says "me and mark in spain." then, lets say you also have another picture of you and mark in germany. if you do a search on germany, it will show you the picture of spain as well, because it linked the two together through mark. at least, thats how i think its going to work.

bored2k
August 12th, 2005, 09:02 AM
As long as performance speed is not compromised _too_ much in order to increase eye-candy, go Linux. That's one of the things I dislike the most about Windows: every new version of the OS makes your computer slower and less snappier. Ubuntu+Prelink will rule the world (at least until i can finally try out Gentoo's "experience" ;)).

poofyhairguy
August 12th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Ubuntu+Prelink

Lol. Prelink is cool. Its one of the best howtos.

KiwiNZ
August 12th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I sometimes wonder what will come first , Windows Vista, Duke Nukem forever or a big drop in oil prices

poofyhairguy
August 12th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I sometimes wonder what will come first , Windows Vista, Duke Nukem forever or a big drop in oil prices

I think the Party Line for Vista is that it will be out next year, one guy accidently send more likely towards then end. When was it supposed to come out?

Lord Illidan
August 12th, 2005, 09:40 AM
winFS is not a filesystem, ReiserFS is not a search engine ;)

winFS is going to be in vista for teh most part. they will just add more features to it in mid-2007(thats the plan at least). reiserFS has nothing to do with searching though.

kde 4 will have tenor, which will not only search stuff by metadata, but will also use the metadata to link different files together.

for example, lets say theres a picture of you and mark in spain. the description says "me and mark in spain." then, lets say you also have another picture of you and mark in germany. if you do a search on germany, it will show you the picture of spain as well, because it linked the two together through mark. at least, thats how i think its going to work.

Thanks for the clarification... but I thought that winFS was going to be a file-system..

From the Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winfs

In computing, WinFS is a file system being developed by Microsoft for use on its Windows operating system. The name originally stood for Windows Future Storage, but now means Windows File System. In 1992, its precursor was called the Object File System (OFS) and was planned to be a part of the Cairo operating system [1]. More recently, Microsoft announced that WinFS would form part of Windows Vista, but in August 2004, it was announced that in order to release Vista in 2006, it would contain WinFS in beta form at best, with a full version being released later as an add-on or update. Subsequent statements by Microsoft imply that WinFS will not be released until 2008 at the earliest.

KiwiNZ
August 12th, 2005, 09:45 AM
I think the Party Line for Vista is that it will be out next year, one guy accidently send more likely towards then end. When was it supposed to come out?
Originally wasn't it supposed to be last year ? Heck its been bumped so many times I dont think even Bill can remember when Vista should have been out . I doesn't really concern me though XP was the last Windows I'll buy .

blakamin
August 12th, 2005, 09:50 AM
or the new guns 'n roses album... "chinese democracy".... 9 years and counting, I think

drizek
August 12th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Originally wasn't it supposed to be last year ? Heck its been bumped so many times I dont think even Bill can remember when Vista should have been out . I doesn't really concern me though XP was the last Windows I'll buy .
vista was supposed to be released in early 2004, lol.

as for winfs, TBH, i dont know any more. origianlly, it wasnt a search engine. and now apparantyl it is. and then they are delaying winfs. i really have no idea what theyre doing here, and i dont think they do either.

poofyhairguy
August 12th, 2005, 09:53 AM
After reading the article it seemed to be implying "make Wine better."

poofyhairguy
August 12th, 2005, 10:16 AM
This is related:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,121774,pg,4,00.asp

"Vista plays catch-up"