PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Corporate Edition

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 29th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Ubuntu Corporate Edition

Hello Ubuntu Users,

I was thinking about starting an Ubuntu flavour, Ubuntu Corporate Edition. I have been told I will need permission to use this trademark so If you have any other ideas for the name please list them.

If all goes will this distribution will focus on the following: Office Productivity including word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software; it will also focus on communications featuring office conferencing software: and lastly it will focus on multimedia software and codecs. Many businesses require you to watch videos on there websites or streaming video, or watch recorded video of conferences.

Please tell me how you fell about this and give me ideas on what programs I should add. Also do not think this is just another Linux newbie trying to start another project. I have been using Linux for awhile now, and notice this is something Ubuntu has been lacking.

Here is some off the features:
Inkscape
Scribus
Blender
Qcad
Thunderbird
Sun Java 6
Sun Java 6 Mozilla Plug-in
Abiword
Kontact
Gnumeric-gtk
Koffice
Firestarter
Eclipse
VLC Media Player
Ntfs-Configuration Tool
Samba
Pyneightborhood

++ Ubuntu Defaults - Games

RAV TUX
September 29th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Ubuntu Corporate Edition

Hello Ubuntu Users,

I was thinking about starting an Ubuntu flavour, Ubuntu Corporate Edition. I have been told I will need permission to use this trademark so If you have any other ideas for the name please list them.

If all goes will this distribution will focus on the following: Office Productivity including word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software; it will also focus on communications featuring office conferencing software: and lastly it will focus on multimedia software and codecs. Many businesses require you to watch videos on there websites or streaming video, or watch recorded video of conferences.

Please tell me how you fell about this and give me ideas on what programs I should add. Also do not think this is just another Linux newbie trying to start another project. I have been using Linux for awhile now, and notice this is something Ubuntu has been lacking.

The word Ubuntu is not trademarked only the logo is, I don't think it's possible to trademark a word.

That would be like me starting a distro called :

Happy Linux and trying to trademark Happy.

so I would stick with your name.

I think you have an awesome idea and I wish you much success!

DeadSuperHero
September 29th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Hmm...
seems like a nice idea, what would it have that regular Ubuntu doesn't have?
Regular Ubuntu comes with OpenOffice and Evolution, they work well enough for a regular office, don't they?

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 29th, 2007, 08:12 PM
You may be right but im not exactly sure because this is what one of the forum moderators told me.

RAV TUX
September 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM
The word Ubuntu is not trademarked only the logo is, I don't think it's possible to trademark a word.

That would be like me starting a distro called :

Happy Linux and trying to trademark Happy.

so I would stick with your name.

I think you have an awesome idea and I wish you much success!
Edit on second thought the word corporate may be misleading perhaps:

Ubuntu Business Edition

or

Ubuntu Professional Edition

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 29th, 2007, 08:15 PM
To anwaser your question I would be adding programs such as k office and abi word

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 29th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Great Idea RAV TUX i jut assumed that Corporate would make it sound more professional.

RAV TUX
September 29th, 2007, 08:18 PM
You may be right but im not exactly sure because this is what one of the forum moderators told me.

I would read the trademark agreement over and post here, last time I read it, it only addressed the Ubuntu logo.

Ubuntu is not a word invited by Canonical it is a word that existed long before mark Shuttleworth or Canonical did.

There for it is legally impossible to trademark a already existing word:

Ubuntu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28ideology%29)

now you may have problems if you wanted to use Kubuntu or Xubuntu as a base and were to use either of these in the name.

DeadSuperHero
September 29th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Well, first thing's first, focus on what you want to put into it.
A few things to think about:
-What DE (Desktop Environment) will you use?
-Will you make the underlying system different?
-What apps will be default?
-Will you use original artwork?
-Will you write custom apps for it?

Just things to think about.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 29th, 2007, 08:25 PM
1.The default desktop will be gnome because I combined some themes to make it look nice. Here is a preview. http://i23.tinypic.com/2wp3uw9.png

2.?

3. By default do you mean what apps will open to a certain file?

4. Original Artwork no

5. I am not a programmer really but I will be taking classes next year.

DeadSuperHero
September 29th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Hmmm, not bad, not bad.
But it doesn't really look like a business desktop, it looks like an ordinary Vista-impersonating Desktop.
Sorry to burst your bubble.
=[

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 29th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Yes it kinda does but soon enought businesses will be forced to use vista and by the time this distrobuiton is ready they will be used to the them so i'm just thinking ahead I dont really like the window borders so I think i will find something different.

Also legal information

Trademarks

Any trademarks, logos and service marks ("Marks") displayed on this website are the property of their owners, whether Canonical or third parties. For example, Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. Debian is a trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc. Windows is allegedly a trademark of Microsoft Corporation. Ubuntu and Canonical are registered trademarks of Canonical Ltd. Please see the Ubuntu Trademark Policy for more information.

The Trademarks

Canonical owns a number of trademarks and these include UBUNTU, KUBUNTU, EDUBUNTU, and XUBUNTU. The trademarks are registered in both word and logo form. Any mark ending with the letters UBUNTU or BUNTU is sufficiently similar to one or more of the trademarks that permission will be needed in order to use it. This policy encompasses all marks, in word and logo form, collectively referred to as “Trademarks”.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Also i figure that before I can have the trademark approved I will have to have a finsihed product because all changes, it says, " *

the changes are minimal and unsubstantial, as described above

there is no commercial intent associated with the new product

the Trademark is used in a way that makes it clear that your project is a development effort related to the Ubuntu source, but that the software you are working upon is not in fact Ubuntu as distributed by the Ubuntu project. The approved naming scheme to facilitate this is through designation “Remix”. For instance, a new ISO image which has been packaged special tools for software developers could be called “Ubuntu, Developers Remix”, or an image was has been created with Thai language packs could be called "Ubuntu Thai Remix". Words such as "Edition" and "Version" should be avoided, as they have specific meaning within the Ubuntu project. Prefixes, such as “ThaiBuntu” should also be avoided. Any other naming scheme will require explicit permission.

there is no suggestion (through words or appearance) that your project is approved, sponsored, or affiliated with Ubuntu or its related projects unless it has been approved by and is governed by the Ubuntu Community Council.
"

I may have to drop UBUNTU all together and name it something different, but I would not like to do that.

elvis
September 29th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Not trying to be negative here, but personally speaking I think Ubuntu already satisfies most of the desktop requirements of the average business. Merely adding codecs as a pre-install feature is not really extending the system (and more realistically, is a real problem in some countries where shipping proprietary codecs is illegal, which is precisely why Canonical/Ubuntu don't).

I work in corporate IT as a network/systems administrator, and to me what would make a real difference in a "business edition" of Ubuntu would not be a minor shuffling of desktop packages (after all, APT can do that for me), but rather some enterprise-focussed tools.

Most businesses will have some sort of rudimentary file sharing and/or server setup going on. One of the stark differences between Ubuntu and something like RedHat/SuSE is that the latter have automated systems for connecting back to directory servers and other central-sign-on systems designed for simplifying user management.

To me, these sorts of features are a must for a "business edition" of Ubuntu. Again, SuSE/RedHat have these sorts of features built in. Likewise Microsoft Windows and Apple MacOSX do too. Ubuntu can certainly be hacked to talk to authentication systems (I know because I've done just that for many of my clients), but a tool focussed at someone around the intermediate helpdesk or tech-savvy end user level of competence that automated the slightly complex task of connecting to enterprise authentication systems (MS Active Directory, Novell eDirectory, Apple OpenDirectory, Sun ONE, etc) would be a mandatory part of such a distribution.

Anything less would just be a custom package set, which again is a fairly trivial addon, and something that wouldn't attract much of a userbase at all, especially when the parent distribution will probably be better supported.

DeadSuperHero
September 29th, 2007, 08:35 PM
If you want to go for something more Ubuntu, I would suggest:
GTK Theme: White?! (that's the name)
Emerald theme: Feisty New Human (available on Beryl-themes.org)
Wallpaper: http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=32184&d=1178751788

Desktop cube caps: http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=32185&d=1178751788

But, this is just my opinion. I think if you want to call something Ubuntu, it ought to have a similar look to it.

EDIT: And for icons, try NuevoXT2

Frak
September 29th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Take SLED and RHEL and look at how they work, and basically copy them. Sounds cheap, but they do have the right idea, and its good to follow.

Also, make sure it keeps its own identity. Only modify it to the point where its not exactly Ubuntu, but people should easily be able to realize its an Ubuntu Variant.

Finally, you can not use the Ubuntu logo or name without permission.

EDIT
Also, if you can sell this to Canonical, you can get Developers to help you most likely.

DeadSuperHero
September 29th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Ubuntu System Panel is a pretty cool add-on too, I think.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 29th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Very good ideas to all I like the wallpaper but the them not so much its ok except for a little to much white and the oragne is really bright

I was thinking this maybe http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Ubuntu+Glossy+Brown?content=63506

jdq997
September 29th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Really the theme can just be plain old human. The key would be the right mix of software and networking tools.

Raval
September 29th, 2007, 09:23 PM
From a business person:

Besides OO and EVO, would be nice for many apps to sync together.

Gonna need to create PDFs, do Book keeping, sync tools the business ppl have like Paml and there cell phones, Bluetooth.

It isn't really about offering things you can apt-get into Ubuntu it's about having all of those tools from a fresh load.

Would be nice if it was easy to sync data between apps and devices in the business edition.

elvis
September 29th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Take SLED and RHEL and look at how they work, and basically copy them. Sounds cheap, but they do have the right idea, and its good to follow.

Simply put, if SLED or RHEL were APT/.deb based, I would use them. I despise RPM/YUM based systems.

I've made many suggestions in the various "wishlist" threads for Ubuntu to start using many of the corporate-focussed tools from RHEL and SLED. I'm hoping that it becomes more of a focus for 8.04LTS.

RAV TUX
September 29th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Yes it kinda does but soon enought businesses will be forced to use vista and by the time this distrobuiton is ready they will be used to the them so i'm just thinking ahead I dont really like the window borders so I think i will find something different.

Also legal information

Trademarks

Any trademarks, logos and service marks ("Marks") displayed on this website are the property of their owners, whether Canonical or third parties. For example, Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. Debian is a trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc. Windows is allegedly a trademark of Microsoft Corporation. Ubuntu and Canonical are registered trademarks of Canonical Ltd. Please see the Ubuntu Trademark Policy for more information.

The Trademarks

Canonical owns a number of trademarks and these include UBUNTU, KUBUNTU, EDUBUNTU, and XUBUNTU. The trademarks are registered in both word and logo form. Any mark ending with the letters UBUNTU or BUNTU is sufficiently similar to one or more of the trademarks that permission will be needed in order to use it. This policy encompasses all marks, in word and logo form, collectively referred to as “Trademarks”.Can you please post the link to the trademark statement.

n3tfury
September 29th, 2007, 11:06 PM
that screenshot is not a very business-like desktop. i suggest something not so dark and moody. also, rid the distro of games and crap that will deter efficiency.

Frak
September 29th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Can you please post the link to the trademark statement.
http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

RAV TUX
September 29th, 2007, 11:16 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

Thanks, lets post there here for clarity:

Trademark Policy

This draft trademark policy is itself published under the CC-BY-SA license, you are welcome to base your own project trademark policies off it, just let others use your changes and give credit to the Ubuntu project as the original source!

The objective of the Ubuntu trademark policy is to encourage widespread use of the Ubuntu trademarks by the Ubuntu community while controlling that use in order to avoid confusion on the part of Ubuntu users and the general public, to maintain the value of the image and reputation of the trademarks and to protect them from inappropriate or unauthorised use.
The sections below describe what is allowed, what isn't allowed, and cases in which you should ask permission. If you have any doubt, please contact us at trademarks@ubuntu.com.
The Trademarks

Canonical owns a number of trademarks and these include UBUNTU, KUBUNTU, EDUBUNTU, and XUBUNTU. The trademarks are registered in both word and logo form. Any mark ending with the letters UBUNTU or BUNTU is sufficiently similar to one or more of the trademarks that permission will be needed in order to use it. This policy encompasses all marks, in word and logo form, collectively referred to as “Trademarks”.
Permitted Use

Certain usages of the Trademarks are fine and no specific permission from us is needed.
Community Advocacy. Ubuntu is built by, and largely for, its community. We share access to the Trademarks with the entire community for the purposes of discussion, development and advocacy. We recognise that most of the open source discussion and development areas are for non-commercial purposes and will allow the use of the trademarks in this context, provided:
the Trademark is used in a manner consistent with the Usage Guidelines below
there is no commercial intent behind the use
what you are referring to is in fact Ubuntu. If someone is confused into thinking that what isn't Ubuntu is in fact Ubuntu, you are probably doing something wrong.
there is no suggestion (through words or appearance) that your project is approved, sponsored, or affiliated with Ubuntu or its related projects unless it actually has been approved by and is accountable to the Ubuntu Community CouncilDerived works. The ability to customise Ubuntu to meet your specific needs is one of the great strengths of free software in general, and Ubuntu in particular. While we encourage customisation and derivation of Ubuntu, we must balance that freedom with the integrity of the Trademarks and the quality which they represent. To help reach that balance, we have established the following guidelines and definitions.
We recognise and encourage the concept of a “remix.” Remixes are derived versions of Ubuntu, and it is intended that any software and hardware certifications will apply to a Remix. Therefore the changes from official Ubuntu product must be minimal to be permitted to use the Trademarks. These changes can include configuration changes through the existing Ubuntu configuration management tools, changes to artwork and graphical themes and some variance in package selection. In general, a Remix can have applications from the Ubuntu archives added, or default applications removed, but removing or changing any infrastructure components (e.g., shared libraries or desktop components) will result in changes too large for the resulting product to be called by a Trademark. Note that if the nature of the product's divergence from Ubuntu changes, the Remix naming and Trademark use may no longer apply.
Therefore, if you are creating a derivative of Ubuntu, you may use the Trademarks in association with the software product provided:
the Trademark is used in a way that makes it clear that your project is a development effort related to the Ubuntu source, but that the software you are working upon is not in fact Ubuntu as distributed by the Ubuntu project. The approved naming scheme to facilitate this is through designation “Remix”. For instance, a new ISO image which has been packaged special tools for software developers could be called “Ubuntu, Developers Remix”, or an image was has been created with Thai language packs could be called "Ubuntu Thai Remix". Words such as "Edition" and "Version" should be avoided, as they have specific meaning within the Ubuntu project. Prefixes, such as “ThaiBuntu” should also be avoided. Any other naming scheme will require explicit permission.
there is no suggestion (through words or appearance) that your project is approved, sponsored, or affiliated with Ubuntu or its related projects unless it has been approved by and is governed by the Ubuntu Community Council.If you are producing a new product which is based on Ubuntu but which has more substantial changes than those described above as a Remix, you are allowed to state (and we would encourage you to do so) that your product is "derived from Ubuntu", "based on Ubuntu", or "a derivative of Ubuntu" but you may not use the Trademarks to refer to your product. In some cases you may be allowed to use the Trademarks, but we'll need to discuss that. In that event, these products will need a trademark license, and such a license can be revoked if the nature of your divergence from Ubuntu changes. Products which include very invasive changes, such as a new kernel, the inclusion of packages which are not part of the Ubuntu repositories, or anything else that significantly impacts the technical quality or user experience would fall into this category are unlikely to be approved. (Note that if you are including packages which are not part of the Ubuntu repositories, we encourage you to work within the community processes to submit and maintain those packages within the repositories in order to minimise this issue.)
Building on Ubuntu or for Ubuntu. If you are producing new software which is intended for use with or on Ubuntu, you may use the trademark in a way which indicates the intent of your product. For example, if you are developing a system management tool for Ubuntu, acceptable project titles would be "System Management for Ubuntu" or "Ubuntu Based Systems Management". We would strongly discourage, and likely would consider to be problematic, a name such as UbuntuMan, Ubuntu Management, ManBuntu, etc. Furthermore, you may not use the Trademarks in a way which implies an endorsement where that doesn't exist, or which attempts to unfairly or confusingly capitalise on the goodwill or brand of the project.
Commentary and parody. The Ubuntu trademarks are designed to cover use of a mark to imply origin or endorsement by the project. When a user downloads something called Ubuntu, they should know it comes from the Ubuntu project. This helps Ubuntu build a reputation that will not be damaged by confusion around what is, and isn't, Ubuntu. Using the trademarks in your discussion, commentary, criticism or parody, in ways that unequivocally do not imply endorsement, is permissible. Anyone is free to write articles, create websites, blog about, or talk about Ubuntu -- as long as it's clear to everyone -- including people completely unfamiliar with Ubuntu -- that they are simply referring to Ubuntu and in no way speaking for Canonical, or the Ubuntu project.
We reserve the right to review all usage within the open source community, and to object to any usage that appears to overstep the bounds of discussion and good-faith non-commercial development. In any event, once a project has left the open source project phase or otherwise become a commercial project, this policy does not authorize any use of the Trademarks in connection to that project.
Restricted use that requires a trademark license

Permission from us is necessary to use any of the Trademarks under any circumstances other than those specifically permitted above. These include:
Any commercial use
Use on or in relation to a software product that includes or is built on top of a product supplied by us, if there is any commercial intent associated with that product.
Use in a domain name or URL.
Use for merchandising purposes, e.g. on t-shirts and the like.
Use of a name which includes the letters BUNTU in relation to computer hardware or software.
Services relating to any of the above.If you wish to have permission for any of the uses above or for any other use which is not specifically referred to in this policy, please email us at trademarks AT ubuntu DOT com and we'll let you know as soon as possible if your proposed use is permissible. Note that due to the volume of mail we receive, it may take up to a week to process your request. Permission may only be granted subject to certain conditions and these may include the requirement that you enter into an agreement with us to maintain the quality of the product and/or service which you intend to supply at a prescribed level.
While there may be exceptions, it is very unlikely that we will approve Trademark use in the following cases:
Use of a Trademark in a company name.
Use of a Trademark in a domain name which has a commercial intent. The commercial intent can range from promotion of a company or product, to collecting revenue generated by advertising.
The calling of any software or product by the name UBUNTU (or another related Trademark), unless that software or product is a substantially unmodified Ubuntu product, or properly labelled as a "Remix" as described above.
Use in combination with any other marks or logos. This include use of a Trademark in a manner that creates a "combined mark," or use that integrates other wording with the Trademark in a way that the public may think of the use as a new mark (for example Club Ubuntu or UbuntuBooks, or in a way that by use of special fonts or presentation with nearby words or images conveys an impression that the two are tied in some way).
Use in combination with any product or service which is presented as being Certified or Official or formally associated with us or our products or services.
Use in a way which implies an endorsement where that doesn't exist, or which attempts to unfairly or confusingly capitalise on the goodwill or brand of the project.
Use of a Trademark in a manner that disparages Ubuntu, Canonical or its products and is not clearly third-party parody.
On or in relation to a software product which constitutes a substantially modified version of a product supplied by the Ubuntu project, that is to say with material changes to the code, or services relating to such a product.
In a title or metatag of a web page whose sole intention or result is to influence search engine rankings or result listings, rather than for discussion, development or advocacy of the Trademarks.Logo Usage Guidelines

Our logos are presented in multiple colours and it is important that their visual integrity be maintained. It is therefore preferable that the logos only be used in their standard form but if you should feel the need to alter them in any way you should keep the following guidelines in mind. It should also be borne in mind that the more you wish to vary our logos from their standard form the smaller is the chance that we will be able to approve your proposed use.
If presented in multiple colours, the logo should only use the “official” logo colours.
You may use transparency and gradient/depth tools but should retain the “official” colours.
A monochrome version may be acceptable in certain situations, if the use requires it (e.g. desktop backgrounds).
Any scaling must retain the original proportions of the logo

Frak
September 29th, 2007, 11:18 PM
that screenshot is not a very business-like desktop. i suggest something not so dark and moody. also, rid the distro of games and crap that will deter efficiency.
Or better yet, modify Zero-Install to allow Higher up people to regulate the use of some programs, such as games. Forcing the computer to go within the network to use some resources. If that resource is abused, then the file can be hidden, and the file is no longer able to be used. Also make sure only Root can edit the config.conf file (generic name for the network addresses for the resources).

curuxz
September 29th, 2007, 11:22 PM
The goingopen.org project I am involved in setting up (launching tomorrow) is working towards eventually releasing a distro called Kubuntu Enterprise (shortened to KE Linux)

The aim sounds pretty much the same so maybe you would be interested in helping us out, however we intend to build up the necessary case studies on what business needs most out of the *buntu before diving in with starting to build something.

RAV TUX
September 29th, 2007, 11:24 PM
This portion of the license is most important to your project:

Derived works. The ability to customise Ubuntu to meet your specific needs is one of the great strengths of free software in general, and Ubuntu in particular. While we encourage customisation and derivation of Ubuntu, we must balance that freedom with the integrity of the Trademarks and the quality which they represent. To help reach that balance, we have established the following guidelines and definitions.
We recognise and encourage the concept of a “remix.” Remixes are derived versions of Ubuntu, and it is intended that any software and hardware certifications will apply to a Remix. Therefore the changes from official Ubuntu product must be minimal to be permitted to use the Trademarks. These changes can include configuration changes through the existing Ubuntu configuration management tools, changes to artwork and graphical themes and some variance in package selection. In general, a Remix can have applications from the Ubuntu archives added, or default applications removed, but removing or changing any infrastructure components (e.g., shared libraries or desktop components) will result in changes too large for the resulting product to be called by a Trademark. Note that if the nature of the product's divergence from Ubuntu changes, the Remix naming and Trademark use may no longer apply.
Therefore, if you are creating a derivative of Ubuntu, you may use the Trademarks in association with the software product provided:
there is no suggestion (through words or appearance) that your project is approved, sponsored, or affiliated with Ubuntu or its related projects unless it has been approved by and is governed by the Ubuntu Community Council.If you are producing a new product which is based on Ubuntu but which has more substantial changes than those described above as a Remix, you are allowed to state (and we would encourage you to do so) that your product is "derived from Ubuntu", "based on Ubuntu", or "a derivative of Ubuntu" but you may not use the Trademarks to refer to your product. In some cases you may be allowed to use the Trademarks, but we'll need to discuss that. In that event, these products will need a trademark license, and such a license can be revoked if the nature of your divergence from Ubuntu changes. Products which include very invasive changes, such as a new kernel, the inclusion of packages which are not part of the Ubuntu repositories, or anything else that significantly impacts the technical quality or user experience would fall into this category are unlikely to be approved. (Note that if you are including packages which are not part of the Ubuntu repositories, we encourage you to work within the community processes to submit and maintain those packages within the repositories in order to minimise this issue.)Meaning you need to make a choice from the beginning do you to to be confined within the limits of this license by using the ubuntu name? the flip side is of course do you want to strive to become closely aligned and work in potential cooperation with Ubuntu.

If however you plan to make any money out of the venture, it sounds like you can still use Ubuntu as a base but you would need to pick a new name all together.

there is no commercial intent associated with the new productThis decision you would have to make now.

(keep in mind I am not an attorney and only offer advice as a lay person, my views are only my opinions and hold no legal weight at all)

Do you plan to keep your distribution free? or charge a fee?

n3tfury
September 29th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Or better yet, modify Zero-Install to allow Higher up people to regulate the use of some programs, such as games. Forcing the computer to go within the network to use some resources. If that resource is abused, then the file can be hidden, and the file is no longer able to be used. Also make sure only Root can edit the config.conf file (generic name for the network addresses for the resources).

i was gonna suggest that sometime in the future after i'm much more familiar with *nix

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 30th, 2007, 01:56 AM
I have removed the games

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 30th, 2007, 03:10 AM
If you now of any Applications that would be good for ubuntu corp edition please list them as you would get them from synaptic package manager such as

abiword
abiword-common
gnome-games
gnome-games-data

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 03:15 AM
I have removed the gamesall the games?

I would at least leave Ksudoku. ;)

Even a business professional may need to exercise the mind during a lunch break.

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 03:18 AM
If you now of any Applications that would be good for ubuntu corp edition please list them as you would get them from synaptic package manager such as

abiword
abiword-common
gnome-games
gnome-games-dataThe GIMP, in any business there will be an occasion when an ad may need to be designed, even if it is just setting up a business card for the printer.

of course Firefox and Thunderbird should be default.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 30th, 2007, 03:18 AM
I cant its ethier leave them all or remove them all one package, but do you want to suggest some packages.

DeadSuperHero
September 30th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Open Office is a must have for a Business alternative to Microsoft Word.

Frak
September 30th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Abiword as main word processor, Gnumeric as default spreadsheet, Sunbird as default Calendar, Thunderbird as Default Mail client, Firefox as default Web Browser (sorry RAV, for OSS reasons not Opera).

GNUCash, jGnash, or Grisbi as accounting software
Kivio for graphing
OpenProj for Project planning
FreeMind for Demographic type use
KOffice and OpenOffice in seperate menus (System->Preferences->Menus)
and Document veiwer for viewing PDF's

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 30th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys I was changing some things its starting to look really good!

anemptygun
September 30th, 2007, 08:02 PM
For a database program you might consider kexi.

http://www.kexi-project.org/

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 30th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Do you have any idea on how to edit the panels and menus frak? Ive added the whole k office suite also

Frak
September 30th, 2007, 08:17 PM
What do you want to edit on the panels?

And for the menus goto System->Preferences->Main Menu->New Menu Then name it something like "K Office" and with a description like "The K Office Suite", then add all the K Office binaries into that menu.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 30th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I meant configuring the installation cd and the live cd

Frak
September 30th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Something easy for you to use would be Reconstructor (http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/index.php).

And for those who say "But that is for Distro Spinoffs" this is a spinoff.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 30th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I tried it but when it goes to install packages it fails for me.
NVM fixed it but what do you mean by spinoff

Frak
September 30th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I tried it but when it goes to install packages it fails for me.
NVM fixed it but what do you mean by spinoff
Well, any distrobution that is corely based off of another distribution but just rearranges to packages and such around for a specific field is a spinoff.

Mepis is a spinoff of Ubuntu Dapper Drake
Linux Mint is a spinoff of Ubuntu
PCLinuxOS is a spinoff of Mandriva
Slax is a spinoff of Morphix
Kubuntu is a spinoff of Ubuntu
Xubuntu is a spinoff of Ubuntu
Fluxbuntu is a spinoff of Ubuntu

Spinoffs are also called remixes

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Something easy for you to use would be Reconstructor (http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/index.php).

And for those who say "But that is for Distro Spinoffs" this is a spinoff.

I don't know but wouldn't it be easier to use Debian as a base?

also a question about trademark infringements, if Ubuntu is protecting their trademark why is Whitebuntu using their name? Is Whitebuntu a officially supported Ubuntu version? If not, they need to send them a cease and desist order?

reference: Whitebuntu (http://www.whitebuntu.org/)

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 30th, 2007, 10:31 PM
oh ok

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 30th, 2007, 10:41 PM

also a question about trademark infringements, if Ubuntu is protecting their trademark why is Whitebuntu using their name? Is Whitebuntu a officially supported Ubuntu version? If not, they need to send them a cease and desist order?

Rolf thats racist site

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Rolf thats racist site

My apologies for bringing it up in your thread, it just came to mind when we reviewed the Trademark policies.

I started a new thread to address this:

Is Whitebuntu a officially supported Ubuntu version?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=564033

Frak
September 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM

I sent a notice letter to the legal department of Ubuntu. They usually respond and take action pretty quickly.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 30th, 2007, 11:06 PM
My apologies for bringing it up in your thread, it just came to mind when we reviewed the Trademark policies.

I started a new thread to address this:

Is Whitebuntu a officially supported Ubuntu version?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=564033

not a problem I just didnt now people still do these things.

RAV TUX
October 1st, 2007, 12:07 AM
I sent a notice letter to the legal department of Ubuntu. They usually respond and take action pretty quickly.

Awesome Frak, Thanks for taking quick action.

Please let us know what happens.

not a problem I just didnt now people still do these things.

People will do anything but as far as your distro, I think it would be easier to not use the name Ubuntu in the name, especially if there are groups out there like this who freely use the Ubuntu name.

It may be to your benefit to do as Linux Mint has done and use the Linux name only, come up with your own name so there are no restrictions on your freedom or development.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
October 1st, 2007, 12:24 AM
Ok well i would still like to base it of ubuntu so there would be alot more I would have to change if im not going to use the ubuntu name wouldnt there?

MetalMusicAddict
October 1st, 2007, 12:43 AM
Ok well i would still like to base it of ubuntu so there would be alot more I would have to change if im not going to use the ubuntu name wouldnt there?

Besides the obvious art branding there is documentation.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
October 1st, 2007, 12:50 AM
Yes I would have to remove the examples and the logos from the programs.

RAV TUX
October 1st, 2007, 12:58 AM

Yes I would have to remove the examples and the logos from the programs.

That wouldn't be that hard anyway, you would want to do this anyway.

You would have to come up with a new name:

Linux Corporate Edition

That actually sounds quite nice.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
October 1st, 2007, 01:01 AM
Yes it does and I think I will go this way but the only problem is I now have to have my own support forums rather than ubuntu forums

RAV TUX
October 1st, 2007, 01:04 AM
Yes it does and I think I will go this way but the only problem is I now have to have my own support forums rather than ubuntu forumsThat is very easy to set up.

I suggest SMF, take a look at my forum here. (http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php)

Also you can do what Sabayon(Gentoo based) did, simply make a statement that Linux Corporate Edition is based on Ubuntu and whatever works in Ubuntu will work in Linux Corporate Edition and supply a link. Easy enough.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
October 1st, 2007, 02:04 AM
Thanks for your help. I have had experience with smf as I was a moderator on a forum before.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
October 1st, 2007, 02:13 AM
That is very easy to set up.

I suggest SMF, take a look at my forum here. (http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php)

Also you can do what Sabayon(Gentoo based) did, simply make a statement that Linux Corporate Edition is based on Ubuntu and whatever works in Ubuntu will work in Linux Corporate Edition and supply a link. Easy enough.

What do you mean they got free hosintg that way or more users?

RAV TUX
October 1st, 2007, 02:19 AM
What do you mean they got free hosintg that way or more users?

No, as i stated in the example:

Sabayon initially simply made the statement that they were based on Gentoo and all that worked for Gentoo(the most documented distro) will work for Sabayon.

No need to reinvent the wheel and re-document everything about Gentoo.

The same rule would apply for Linux Corporate Edition and Ubuntu.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
October 1st, 2007, 02:24 AM
ahh OK thanks for the clarification, also can you suggest any free website hosts

RAV TUX
October 1st, 2007, 03:11 AM
ahh OK thanks for the clarification, also can you suggest any free website hosts

Nope, but you might post a new thread here, someone may support your project and host it for you.

Hosting is pretty cheap now of days.

I suggest a cpanel enabled host that offers Drupal (http://drupal.org/) & Moin Moin (http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/).

DeadSuperHero
October 1st, 2007, 05:48 AM
Drupal's good, it's very easy to use.
I would also highly suggest Joomla. It's a bit more complicated, but I've seen some gorgeous results, especially with integration.

EDIT: I use a free (although pop-up ad filled) site host called Unlimited Megabytes (www.ulmb.com)
They support some things (Joomla doesn't work properly, neither does Drupal, but XOOPS is decent, although you can't directly integrate forums into it), but it's a good starting point.

dje
October 1st, 2007, 07:16 PM
Try http://googlepages.com for a free site host, it has no banners and has an ok address, yoursite.googlepages.com. For an example see the site in my signature. hope that helps

machoo02
October 1st, 2007, 08:51 PM
Well, any distrobution that is corely based off of another distribution but just rearranges to packages and such around for a specific field is a spinoff.

Mepis is a spinoff of Ubuntu Dapper Drake
Linux Mint is a spinoff of Ubuntu
PCLinuxOS is a spinoff of Mandriva
Slax is a spinoff of Morphix
Kubuntu is a spinoff of Ubuntu
Xubuntu is a spinoff of Ubuntu
Fluxbuntu is a spinoff of Ubuntu

Spinoffs are also called remixes

Kinda like Ubuntu is a spinoff of Debian? ;)

lyceum
October 1st, 2007, 09:01 PM
A few ideas:

1. get permission form copnaiys to use otherwise illeagal codex and sell it if you gave to to pay for the legal rights (ex: Flash, Java, MP3, DVD codes, etc).

2. Call it UEE or Ubuntu Enterprize Eddition

3. Change the color and the logo and makr it look business profesionall

4. Remove any "bling" not needed in the work place.

5. Included videos/manuals on how to use the GUI and key programs, like OOo.

Good Luck!!!

:guitar:

curuxz
October 1st, 2007, 09:04 PM
I know with Kubuntu Enterprise we have a full web rack at our desposal and a team already in place working on the design of the system, I emplore you to speak to us before starting another small project.

Just to quickly list what we are up to:

We are waiting for KDE 4 stable (8-12months till first release, we arnt being unrealistic).

There will be no games or illegal apps at all, if its going into a business environment you cant just shove any codec under the sun in there, you will get busted on it.

It will be based around the knowledge learned with the GOI.

There are people already out there working on this idea, speak to them first please. My contact details are on my profile.

I agree ubuntu needs a 'pro' version but it needs a lot of thinking and planning if its going to become worth while, using reconstructor is not making something new and fresh its just a package selection and frankly I don't think that will work, if it was that easy trust me...I would have already done it :)

curuxz
October 1st, 2007, 09:06 PM
5. Included videos/manuals on how to use the GUI and key programs, like OOo

Thats why with Kubuntu Enterprise we are starting with planning first, then a massive documentation site (GOI) then after lots of good design do a release. I could not agree more.

Frak
October 1st, 2007, 09:26 PM
I think what we really need is to have all the Ubuntu Enterprise developers to come together and accomplish everything faster.

dca
October 1st, 2007, 09:34 PM
I'm leaning away from the derivatives. Now, of course, I realize that Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian Unstable. But, Ubuntu has its own repositories... In a way, that kind of legitimizes the derivative or the effort in general.

xl_cheese
October 1st, 2007, 09:44 PM
I think the main tool holding this back is something to compete with ms Outlook.

Mail and Calander need to be under the same roof.

I work in the tech industry and Linux is used all over for the actual meat of the work, but it is usually subsidized by MS for the emailing, meeting scheduling, and Office products.

Tons of companies are paying MS license fees for this. I would be curious to see what the $ amounts per employee are?

Give people a good reason to ditch Outlook and they would not have any reason to stick with them.

Frak
October 1st, 2007, 09:55 PM
Take the source code of Zimbra and integrate it into a server install, then build upon Gecko to create a Mail client that looks to the server(s) for the Zimbra-modded service to operate.

That beats Outlook any day.

RAV TUX
October 2nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
I'm leaning away from the derivatives. Now, of course, I realize that Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian Unstable. But, Ubuntu has its own repositories... In a way, that kind of legitimizes the derivative or the effort in general.

...or simply unnecessary complication.

For business I suggest you either have QEMU or VMWare installed by default so a business can run Windows virtually if needed.

Frak
October 2nd, 2007, 03:18 AM

For business I suggest you either have QEMU or VMWare installed by default so a business can run Windows virtually if needed.
Or VirtualBox 1.5 for the Seamless Integration (Coherence) mode.

Its faster than Qemu, and there is an OSS version available. Unlike VMWare.

curuxz
October 2nd, 2007, 07:58 AM

We are taking the route of trying to secure cheeper crossover office licences for those that WANT it only ofcourse.

I agree that the enterprise developers should work together which is what I am trying to drive home, but this thread seems to be about one person making a custom package selection and then calling it an enterprise distro, and no offense but that simply wont work.

Kubuntu enterprise is not even going to attempt to release for 8 months, thats how big a task we see getting something like this done.

It needs solid package lists, a desktop version and a server version and it needs to be stable and LEGAL. Solid networking and an exchange replacement is needed for certain, which is why Kubuntu is the more logical choice with kontact integrated as a perfect groupware system since at the end of they people NEED groupware in an office.

Can we please have a little more discussion before people run off making wallpapers and fancy titles.

I encourage anyone truly interested in an enterprise buntu to get in contact with me :)

PS: We have LOTS of web hosting, if you really cant be persuaded with working with us, then at least we can help you get your project a proper website and maybe it will be a good stop gap till KE is ready :)