PDA

View Full Version : Torrent Clients (re-done for the ppl)

nikoPSK
September 29th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Sorry about that every-one... I don't know that many torrent clients since I'm only 5 weeks into ubuntu. Apparently you can't edit polls so that's why Im re-posting.:KS

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=562956

(nobody was voting since their favorite ones were not listed.:()

nikoPSK
September 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I wrote clients wrong...:mad:

Sockerdrickan
September 29th, 2007, 06:09 PM
You sure did

DarkDancer
September 29th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Deluge...

Oh, for future reference, you should almost always give the option for other. Don't redo the poll again or anything... ;) But with other, people can check that and then state in a message what they like to use... ;)

fireworksshow
September 29th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I use Azureus i really like it but rtorrent is a really good alternative.

nikoPSK
September 29th, 2007, 06:20 PM
your-welcome I took your suggestions but they Should give an option to edit your poll. Sorry about other. I was at the limit (10):KS

cogadh
September 29th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Azureus for me. I started using it in Windows way back when it started and just kept using it with Ubuntu. Guess I'm just a creature of habit. I won't even use the new version of Azureus (Vuze), it's way too bloated compared to the clean "classic" Azureus interface.

Kingsley
September 29th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I've used Azureus for a long while. I like the Safe Peer plugin.
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=safepeer

nikoPSK
September 29th, 2007, 06:50 PM
hmmmm... I can now safely download torrents. I probably got that virus in windows from a doctor who episode i downloaded... Anyways I used azureus once or twice but since it uses java I don't like it that much. I tried utorrent in wine but it's terible... suggest something.:KS

nhydra
September 29th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I use Transmission and can say that is the best torrent client. It is small and very fast. I seed more that 20 torrents thanks to Transmission. I have the following computer configuration:
Processor:1.6 GHz
RAM : 1.256 Gb
and about 20 torrent with almost 30 Gb size.
Network : 512 kb/s connection

So, i seed all these torrents without any pain. Can you imagine what will happen if I use Azureus? I tried and it eat almost the entire RAM (about 1 Gb) and consume almost 40-50 % CPU time. What about Transmission? Transmission consume about 10% of my CPU time... so, I love you Transmission. This is the best client for me.
My computer is torrent node but a desktop as well. So, I am glad to use Transmission.

nikoPSK
September 29th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I'll try transmission out...:KS

reacocard
September 29th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Deluge. It's fast, light, works great and has plenty of features.

cogadh
September 29th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Can you imagine what will happen if I use Azureus? I tried and it eat almost the entire RAM (about 1 Gb) and consume almost 40-50 % CPU time.
Geez, what was the last version of Az that you used? They solved most of those memory and processor usage problems a long time ago and you can reduce it even more by modifying some of the basic settings. I've never had the processor usage rise above 8 - 10% (2 GHz processor) and it currently uses at most 200MB of RAM out of 1024. I don't use it to publish my own torrents, however, I just download and seed back 200% of what I get.

nikoPSK
September 29th, 2007, 08:22 PM
War of the torrent clients! This is going to be interesting...:KS

So now I have to try: deluge, Transmission and Azureus....:)

Fbot1
September 29th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I use crappy ol' frostwire. It's not great but it's good enough. BTW, don't use BitComet.

mindtrick
September 29th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Deluge is great. You can add more plugins for additional features like showing peers etc.

nikoPSK
September 30th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Is there oone where you can communicate with peers? Because sometimes people have 100% of the file and There not letting me download anything. I wanna be like "Hey! Faster!":KS:lolflag:

nikoPSK
September 30th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Deluge is winning...:)

nikoPSK
September 30th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Ha, Smoeone wsa annyoed wtih teh tiltle tpyo trehe so tehy cahngde it:KS

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 10:05 PM
You left off one of the most popular BitTorrent Clients also: The one I use the most!

Opera BitTorrent Client
(works better then any bloated stand alone application)

Sorry about that every-one... I don't know that many torrent clients since I'm only 5 weeks into ubuntu. Apparently you can't edit polls so that's why Im re-posting.:KS

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=562956

(nobody was voting since their favorite ones were not listed.:()

Nice duplicate thread/poll, the original was posted March 17th 2007:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=387120&page=30

nikoPSK
September 30th, 2007, 10:32 PM
You left off one of the most popular BitTorrent Clients also: The one I use the most!

Opera BitTorrent Client
(works better then any bloated stand alone application)

Nice duplicate thread/poll, the original was posted March 17th 2007:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=387120&page=30

well, sorry didn't know one existed. Anyways I wanted to know which one had the best ease of use/ reliability and stuff. I didn't dupe it. I just didn't know it was there:mad:

nikoPSK
October 15th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Using deluge right now and am quite pleased with it:)

vishzilla
October 15th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Deluge. development has been good. Worthy to be the standard client in GNOME sometime in future

Tyl3r
October 15th, 2007, 03:30 AM
qBittorrent, A Qt4 bittorrent client, check it out: http://qbittorrent.sourceforge.net/

nikoPSK
October 15th, 2007, 03:45 AM
qBittorrent, A Qt4 bittorrent client, check it out: http://qbittorrent.sourceforge.net/

gotta try that, deluge unfortunalely I don't plan to use much, utorrent was my thing but looks terrible under wine:(

smartboyathome
October 15th, 2007, 03:46 AM
I would say Deluge for GNOME, or Ktorrent for KDE

RomeReactor
October 15th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Deluge. development has been good. Worthy to be the standard client in GNOME sometime in future

I agree. When not using the BitTorrent client included with Gnome (which I like very much), I use Deluge (which I also like very much).

tbroderick
October 15th, 2007, 07:12 AM
rtorrent or nothing.

nikoPSK
October 15th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I agree. When not using the BitTorrent client included with Gnome (which I like very much), I use Deluge (which I also like very much).

I don't like the bittorrent client included in ubuntu. So thats why I made this thread. I was new to linux and needed a client. My friend suggested miro...

corney91
October 15th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I'd vote for Opera...but it's not there:(

Quillz
October 15th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I also use Xtorrent on Mac OS X.

nikoPSK
October 15th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I'd vote for Opera...but it's not there:(

sorry, I ran out of torrent clients, and didn't have room to put the "other" option. I love operas torrent client as well:)

mthei
October 15th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I'm currently running uTorrent under Wine, and hasn't let me down yet. Deluge is also great, and it's pretty much uTorrent written for GTK. In fact, I tried it again this afternoon and the bugs that it had the last time I tried it are now gone, but it was using like 20mb of RAM, although that's because I loaded all my torrents at once and it probably drops after that (their whole selling point is that it's a lightweight client). That said, I stick with uTorrent mainly as a comfort thing, but they have the exact same features.

Minadude
October 21st, 2007, 03:51 PM
why can't I get deluge on debian distro?

I knw this is ubuntu forums...but....can't find anything useful on google for deluge-debain :(

nikoPSK
October 21st, 2007, 04:04 PM
gutsy (http://download.deluge-torrent.org/index.php?dir=ubuntu/gutsy/0.5.5/&file=deluge-torrent_0.5.5-2_i386.deb)
feisty (http://download.deluge-torrent.org/index.php?dir=ubuntu/feisty/0.5.5/&file=deluge-torrent_0.5.5-1_i386.deb)

The site has it. Just look around before you ask a question like this:p

misfitpierce
October 21st, 2007, 04:05 PM
Deluge has it goin on. Transmission would if they added IP blocking and/or Encryption. Def Encryption though.

PhenixRising
October 21st, 2007, 06:56 PM
I've been using Ktorrent but I am going to try out Deluge. It sounds like a good product. If that isn't too my liking I'll check out transmission. So far Ktorrent has been fine.

Thanks for posting the deluge link.

-grubby
October 21st, 2007, 07:00 PM
whichever one comes by default with Ubuntu

nikoPSK
October 22nd, 2007, 01:24 AM
I don't like the default one:)

stomponthis
October 22nd, 2007, 05:50 AM
Tried uTorrent with wine -CRUD
Azures.... slow java -CRUD
am now going to try transmission or deluge! good post... keeping me informed! lol
damn windows slowing me down

sayuki288
October 22nd, 2007, 05:54 AM
i use drluge but it's upload doesn't seem to work

nikoPSK
October 22nd, 2007, 06:21 AM
Tried uTorrent with wine -CRUD
Azures.... slow java -CRUD
am now going to try transmission or deluge! good post... keeping me informed! lol
damn windows slowing me down

ya... unfortunately utorrent doesnt have a linux version. I love utorrent but im stuck with deluge for now.

bionnaki
October 22nd, 2007, 06:23 AM
ktorrent for kde, deluge for gnome.

Spr0k3t
October 22nd, 2007, 06:46 AM
I gotta say it. Out of all the clients I've tried the two best are ktorrent and deluge. I don't like utorrent running out of its native environment... but it's what I use when I need to work in that microsoft product. I like deluge for the simplicity and that it just works. I changed the default ports and encrypted the outbound stream for obvious reasons. I'd like to see more options for controlling deluge remotely. I've compiled deluge since edgy from source so I was quite happy to see it included in the repos this time around.

stomponthis
October 22nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Back again! lol
Tried Delgue, and I have to give it a thumbs up already.
No problems so far and downloaded some torrents last night. Stoked I read this post, it made me aware of the other torrent apps out there. I am also a big uTorrent fan, but its no good under wine, and Im driving away from Bill waving out his Windows....

Scruffynerf
October 22nd, 2007, 09:43 AM
Azureus fan here, however I'm going to have to check Transmission out since everyone seems to like it.

Deluge is highly recommended, but FWIW, I didn't like it.

Tom Mann
October 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
Glad to see the Linux Native packages leading the pack :)

nikoPSK
October 22nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Deluge = uber fast!!!

Your attachment was removed due to showing the filenames of pirated downloads. -zenwhen

Retrograde77
October 22nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
Using Deluge at the mo, has been the best replacement for uTorrent I have found yet. Does pretty much all I want it to do, mainly the ability to pick certain files out of a torrent file.

stomponthis
October 26th, 2007, 07:08 AM
After using deluge I am definitely never using uTorrent under wine!
Agreed that it looks bad under wine and I have problems with it crashing, which is not cool when you leave your computer on for a big download and it crashes five minutes after you leave it! lol
Still have to try transmission tho!

stomponthis
October 26th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Using Deluge at the mo, has been the best replacement for uTorrent I have found yet. Does pretty much all I want it to do, mainly the ability to pick certain files out of a torrent file.

Yeah the ability to choose particular files out of a torrent is very important for me.
Which other torrent clients support this feature?

Rabindranath
October 26th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I used ktorrent in fiesty and it was fine. But after upgrading to gutsy, ktorrent consumed too much cpu. Then I tried deluge and it is as good as ktorrent or even better.

MacHaddock
October 26th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Right now I can't get any of the once I like to work!

I used Azureus in feisty fawn ubuntu. But now I'm trying Xubuntu and deluge. It works well if you only have one torrent going but if i start some more the download speed drops a LOT.

I wasn't going to have that so I looked for an upgrade, which there was. The upgrade worked well for a bit. Then it just shut down all of a sudden and when I tried to start it over it shut down as soon as it was opened. That sucked so I went back to the earlier version but still had the same problem as before when dl ing multiple torrents. Ok I'll try Azureus then I thought. Well the same thing happens to Azureus that happened to the latest version of Deluge. It just shuts down when it's finished loading!

This sucks. I really like Xubuntu. Do I have to go back to Ubuntu to get Azureus to work or can someone help me get Deluge or Azureus working properly on Xubuntu?

BrooksOfSheffield
October 26th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Then it just shut down all of a sudden and when I tried to start it over it shut down as soon as it was opened. That sucked so I went back to the earlier version but still had the same problem as before when dl ing multiple torrents. Ok I'll try Azureus then I thought. Well the same thing happens to Azureus that happened to the latest version of Deluge. It just shuts down when it's finished loading!

To fix that, for deluge you can delete ~/.config/deluge/persistent.state

(not sure of the exact capitalization, i'm trapped on a windows box at work)