PDA

View Full Version : can /bin/sh handle [ "$1" == "$2" ] ?

patrick295767
September 29th, 2007, 05:15 PM
can /bin/sh handle if [ "$1" == "$2" ] ; then bla bla, is your distro still buggy as hell, guys ?

The == was the bug with /bin/sh, but = worked.

Best regards

walkerk
September 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM
With /bin/sh or bash

#!/bin/sh

string1="blah"
string2="blah"

if [ $string1 = $string2 ]; then
echo "$string1 $string2"
fi

or

With /bin/bash

#!/bin/bash

string1="blah"
string2="blah"

if [ $string1 == $string2 ]; then
echo "$string1 $string2"
fi

patrick295767
September 29th, 2007, 10:36 PM
With /bin/sh or bash

#!/bin/sh

string1="blah"
string2="blah"

if [ $string1 = $string2 ]; then
echo "$string1 $string2"
fi

or

With /bin/bash

#!/bin/bash

string1="blah"
string2="blah"

echo "$string1 $string2"
fi

That I knew. :)

So, why hence :

#!/bin/sh
string1="blah"
string2="blah"
echo "$string1 $string2"
fi

Fails with Ubuntu, gives error, but on the other hand works with all other linux distros ?
(Are Ubuntu allowed to decide such things ? That's not Debian way, for sure)

FuturePilot
September 29th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Maybe we need to file a bug

patrick295767
September 29th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Maybe we need to file a bug

It's not maybe .... :) :lolflag::lolflag:
It's there since edgy !!

Man, Ubuntu is really amazing ... :lolflag:

Polygon
September 30th, 2007, 01:24 AM
because defenitly its such a serious bug that it hasnt been fixed in 2 releases. I still dont get sound after i resume from suspend, and thats been there since dapper. I think thats a more serious problem then if ubuntu can handle two equal signs rather then one

file a bug, and if its already reported go post a comment to bump it. and dont come here and bash ubuntu, we dont care and it says something about yourself every time you do it

dabeej
September 30th, 2007, 02:00 AM
When using arithmetic operators such as "==", I suggest you use "-eq" instead.

dabeej
September 30th, 2007, 02:06 AM
/bin/sh isn't bash, btw

Binary files /bin/sh and /bin/bash differ

DoktorSeven
September 30th, 2007, 03:40 AM
I honesty wonder why we even bother with Dash in Ubuntu, seriously. It creates problems with scripts that use /bin/sh (which is symlinked to dash) when some things in that script behave differently or don't work at all with dash's implementation of bash's shell script.

Why not just symlink /bin/sh to bash to begin with, get rid of dash, and let that be that? Why the extra shell?

Matthew Wiebelhaus
September 30th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Id was jut wondering if you knew that there were no animated avatars just to let you know.

Polygon
September 30th, 2007, 05:06 AM
he made his account when there were no restrictions on animated avatars, so therefore he has one

patrick295767
October 2nd, 2007, 09:09 PM
It is quite an annoying bug for servers and experienced users, unfixed and present since 1-2 years in Ubuntu-Distros (?). Imagine what can they do with all the sh scripts ? Have to convert all them or look everywhere replacing sh by bash... well. Not too much servers are running Ubuntu.
Ok, no worries. I am sorry if you felt attacked by the thread.

master_kernel
October 2nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
I'm not sure. "$1" = "$2" works in Gutsy though.

patrick295767
October 15th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I am a bit worry, since sh is rather well used ...
a very simple example, compiling :

sh ./configure
make
make install

dwhitney67
October 15th, 2007, 10:11 PM
dash is Ubuntu's pathetic substitute for bash. On most Linux distros, sh is linked to bash, but not on Ubuntu.

If you do not already have it, install bash and specify that in your scripts. If you are concerned about other scripts, then do what I did... blow away /bin/sh and relink it to /bin/bash.

Here's another bash construct, which if I recall correctly, won't work with dash:

cp somefile{,.copy}

It is supposed to make a copy of "somefile" with a .copy extension. The use of {} brackets does not work with dash. It is almost as if dash was designed/implemented to function as a minimal-bash. If that is the case, then busybox should have been used.

Also if you have not already discovered it, Ubuntu ships with a lame vim editor. If you want to real McCoy, then you need to install vim-full (or full-vim?). Anyhow, the bash & vim issues make me question the worthiness of Ubuntu. Who knows what other "corners" have been cut. For a true development system, I tend to pass on it and favor Fedora. For me, Ubuntu is a mere curiosity, but not something to be taken seriously.

toupeiro
October 16th, 2007, 12:55 AM
I know a lot of people use bash. Don't use dash or sh as my shell. Many years ago I changed over to tcsh and integrated vi into my command line editor across all platforms, UNIX and Linux. It has all the power of the Bash and C shell. No tcsh bugs in ubuntu that I can find thus far. all my scripts are still easily runnable under tcsh on */UX

patrick295767
October 17th, 2007, 06:44 PM
vim issues make me question the worthiness of Ubuntu. Who knows what other "corners" have been cut. For a true development system, I tend to pass on it and favor Fedora. For me, Ubuntu is a mere curiosity, but not something to be taken seriously.

Well, I also think the same. Fedora or Debian. If you knew all problems with Ubun., that you discover when digging just a little bit with the box, that are unconsidered or not fixed at all. That's amazing... and rather weird in fact. Additionally, the wonderfully claimed Automatix is not supported by Debian, e.g..

An example, give for instance a try to that http://linuxgazette.net/issue72/chung.html with your ubuntu box ? is the bug fixed yet ? :)