PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to synch your iPod?

slimdog360
September 29th, 2007, 01:52 PM
A couple of months ago I just couldn't help myself and got one of those adorable little iPod shuffles. Well I really do like it and all, its really small, light and sturdy, however I could never get it to synch properly in linux.

Itunes is nice and all but I don't think its great (I really really don't like DRM). So at the moment Im testing out all the alternatives, Ive just tested songbird again after a break from it a while ago. I must say that it has improved quite a fair bit and I'm thinking if my iPod works flawlessly with it that this will be my choice. The problem is, is that the iPod add-on doesn't work with the pre-3 nightly build release.

So what do you you to synch your iPod and what are the features you like about it most. Also what sort of iPod do you have and say whether or not it works Perfectly with your chosen program.

Nano Geek
September 29th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I use Rhythmbox.
It has worked fine with my Nano.

Onyros
September 29th, 2007, 03:04 PM
My wife has an old iPod mini (4GB) and she settled on Floola, (http://http://www.floola.com/) because she hated everything else.

ice60
September 29th, 2007, 04:22 PM
i've got an old shuffle, the bigger one, and i use iPod shuffle Database Builder.

all you do is put the file called rebuild_db.py on your ipod, in the root directory, then drag files on, or off, the shuffle. then run rebuild_db.py like this ./rebuild_db.py (you can probably just click it instead though) and that's it!
http://shuffle-db.sourceforge.net/

EDIT: i am the world's biggest noob with syncing ipods with linux and have managed to corrupt the ipod when i tried some other programs. i used gtkpod to fix it when that happened, it's got a rebuild option, although maybe this script can fix corrupted databases too, i haven't tried it.

drivel
September 29th, 2007, 04:24 PM
use gtkpod to sync music and rhythmbox for playing

ynnhoj
September 29th, 2007, 04:29 PM
i've always been happy with gtkpod.

drivel
September 29th, 2007, 04:31 PM
i've always been happy with gtkpod.

Yeah,gtkpod is simple and powerful

When i fisrt time use it,do not know how to save the music track info into iPod database.

Try so many times....:(

Spike-X
September 30th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Amarok works fine for me. It even copies artwork over now!

The only issue I have with it is it screws up the iPod's database so that 'The' bands are listed under T (ie The Beatles is listed under T for The, instead of B for Beatles which is how it works under iTunes).

PurposeOfReason
September 30th, 2007, 04:15 AM
I've used
-Songbird
-Gtkpod
-Amarok

I think I'm going to give gtkpod another go as last time, I cut it short after if left the %20 riff raff in the names. Probably an easy fix.

lisati
September 30th, 2007, 04:18 AM
I don't actually have an iPod - the 256MB mp3 player with radio does me fine for the rare occasions that I use it. I normally browse it as if it were a regular USB drive and use the file manager of whichever OS I'm using at the time to manage what's on it.

Andrewie
September 30th, 2007, 04:22 AM
amarok, and itunes when I'm in Vista. Come december I'll use amarok on windows and Linux

Incense
September 30th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Amarok is the best way to manage and sync your music IMO.

ShadowVlican
September 30th, 2007, 06:53 AM
i use foobar2000 with foo_dop.dll on WinXP to sync with my shuffle

stijngysemans
September 30th, 2007, 07:42 AM
i've used banshee in the past but now I use Rhythmbox.

crischan
September 30th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I have an brand new iPod Nano 3G/7G and use Amarok with it. Didn't work out of the box, due to the new hash iTunes uses when writing the DB on the iPod.
Getting the latest libgpod from SVN made it work. No album artwork works though.

Anthem
September 30th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I used iTunes.

ohsoferrety
September 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I've always just used Amarok. Works flawlessly with my Nano.

Sammi
September 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM
In Ubuntu I use Amarok as my player and library, and when I bought an Ipod I just plugged it in and Amarok handled it just as expected. Never needed to check out other programs, although I did take a quick look at gtkpod non the less. My conclusion was why use two programs when one can do the job?

In Win I use Winamp. Don't like iTunes at all.