PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using Anywhere.FM?

RAV TUX
September 29th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I just started using the beta of Anywhere.FM:

http://www.anywhere.fm/

I was wondering if anybody else is using this, specifically in Linux.

I am testing the upload and one song has been preparing for an upload for a while now.

Is anybody using this? does the uploader work for you?

nonewmsgs
September 29th, 2007, 10:24 PM
that looks pretty neat. i am now :)

cogadh
September 29th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Looks like it is very similar to Last.FM (link in my sig), but the music playback quality seems slightly lower (could just be me). I'll still give it a shot.

RAV TUX
September 29th, 2007, 11:10 PM
that looks pretty neat. i am now :)

Are you able to upload music?

Looks like it is very similar to Last.FM (link in my sig), but the music playback quality seems slightly lower (could just be me). I'll still give it a shot.

I see no similarities besides in name to LastFM and Anywhere.FM but I may be mistaken can you load your whole music collection to LastFM and listen to it from any computer that you have a web browser installed on?

cogadh
September 29th, 2007, 11:24 PM
...can you load your whole music collection to LastFM and listen to it from any computer that you have a web browser installed on?
I don't think you can load your entire music collection directly into Last.FM (i.e. select all and click upload), but each song you listen to with a Last.FM enabled player gets added to your profile and, provided there are no licensing restrictions, you can then listen to them from any browser just by logging into your profile and creating a playlist. So essentially, once you have listened to every song you own, your entire library is available through Last.FM.

RAV TUX
September 29th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I don't think you can load your entire music collection directly into Last.FM (i.e. select all and click upload), but each song you listen to with a Last.FM enabled player gets added to your profile and, provided there are no licensing restrictions, you can then listen to them from any browser just by logging into your profile and creating a playlist. So essentially, once you have listened to every song you own, your entire library is available through Last.FM.
I remember using LastFM about 2 or 3 years ago, while it was nice I didn't like that you had to download the player.

I prefer purevolume instead, that has a web based player, and works the same as what you describe Last.FM

http://www.purevolume.com/

My purevolume page:

http://www.purevolume.com/listeners/oicurmt

sunexplodes
September 30th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Last.FM has a web-based player nowadays.

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Last.FM has a web-based player nowadays.
I've tried it but it never works well.

sunexplodes
September 30th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Eh, fair enough. Anyways, if you're even remotely interested, the last.fm player has made great leaps and bounds and is now FAR FAR better than what's in the Feisty repos, the .deb file they have for download on the website is actually pretty great.

Tomosaur
September 30th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Err no, that's not how Last.FM works at all. Provided you only listen to well known, popular music, there is a CHANCE that you will be able to listen to that music on Last.FM from anywhere - but not if that artist / label hasn't uploaded the tracks to Last.FM, and hasn't only licensed the tracks to be used as a short 'preview'.

If you want to listen to the full tracks, you need to use the Last.FM player, pick a radio station, and hope that the song you're after will play soon - or just download the freely available full tracks which appear in your Dashboard after you've built up a profile.

Anywhere.FM allows you to upload your music collection so that you can listen to it from anywhere. It is not a music discovery service, like Last.FM.

If you listen to music that isn't widely available anyway, then there's a strong chance Last.FM will not even have a page about the artist, never mind a selection of tracks to listen to.

ohsoferrety
September 30th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I've used Anywhere.fm for a while now (so I can bring my MP3 collection to work with me) and I haven't had any problems uploading from Gutsy.

I did notice, however, that when in Windows XP [sic] at work, I see full track information on the little screen, but in Ubuntu I only see the track name.

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Err no, that's not how Last.FM works at all. Provided you only listen to well known, popular music, there is a CHANCE that you will be able to listen to that music on Last.FM from anywhere - but not if that artist / label hasn't uploaded the tracks to Last.FM, and hasn't only licensed the tracks to be used as a short 'preview'.

If you want to listen to the full tracks, you need to use the Last.FM player, pick a radio station, and hope that the song you're after will play soon - or just download the freely available full tracks which appear in your Dashboard after you've built up a profile.

Anywhere.FM allows you to upload your music collection so that you can listen to it from anywhere. It is not a music discovery service, like Last.FM.

If you listen to music that isn't widely available anyway, then there's a strong chance Last.FM will not even have a page about the artist, never mind a selection of tracks to listen to.

Thanks for posting the defining difference between Anywhere.FM and Last.FM

I've used Anywhere.fm for a while now (so I can bring my MP3 collection to work with me) and I haven't had any problems uploading from Gutsy.

I did notice, however, that when in Windows XP [sic] at work, I see full track information on the little screen, but in Ubuntu I only see the track name.

Are you able to upload in Ubuntu?

ohsoferrety
September 30th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Are you able to upload in Ubuntu?

Yeah, but I had to install Firefox and Flash via Wine.

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Yeah, but I had to install Firefox and Flash via Wine.odd the "User Agent Switcher" didn't work?

worfeus
November 2nd, 2007, 05:12 AM
From the Anywhere.FM FAQ:

Adobe recently released a version of Flash 9 for Linux. Unfortunately, Adobe did not appear to have finished the upload functionality on Linux, so you can play all of your favorite songs, but you cannot upload songs. Hopefully Adobe will release an update in the near future!

So, here's the workaround:

Go to http://www.portableapps.com and download Portable Firefox, then go to a windows machine with Firefox and Flash, Navigate to the folder where it's installed and inside the Mozilla Firefox/plugins folder copy the files flashplayer.xpt and NPSWF32.dll
Back on your PC execute with wine the portablefirefox exe you downloaded previously, it will extract itself. Now navigate to the FirefoxPortable/Data/plugins folder and copy there the two previously mentioned files, execute FirefoxPortable.exe, point the browser at Anywhere.fm and there you go, upload your music!

victorbrca
February 5th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I was able to upload using ies4linux (http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page).

Has anyone tried using the uploader on a XP machine in VirtualBox? On mine it goes through the upload, but when I go to my account there are no files.

I've heard many people are having the same problem on a normal Windows install.

Vic.