PDA

View Full Version : linux career options

sp0onman
September 29th, 2007, 06:08 AM
ok so i have always wanted to get into IT as a career but never knew exactly what area of IT i wanted to do. after starting out my linux adventure with ubuntu i now want to have a look at what options there are for study/jobs.

i live in Melbourne Australia, and want to know what possible uni/tafe course's or possible traineeships there are that are mainly based on linux. my dad has his own company that does all microsoft and novell stuff so getting in to the industry after study would probably not be a problem.

if anybody has any suggestions idea's or anything they have done i would like to knowm even if you dont live in aus.

Ehtetur
October 28th, 2007, 11:16 PM
after starting out my linux adventure with ubuntu i now want to have a look at what options there are for study/jobs.

The first move that most companies make to get a feel for linux is to replace a windows server with a linux server. The best one to do it on is a file server. Why a file server? Because unlike a mail or a databaser server, if the install goes terribly wrong, the company doesn't suffer. make sure you have a backup, you're the admin, blah blah blah..
I'm sure your dad won't mind too much... And if he does, maybe you can come in 11PM one night and do it. :cool:

As for Linux careers... In addition to learning linux proper, I would suggest you also learn an enterprise application that runs on linux - DBs, ERP, CRMs... There's large opportunities and monies for folks that are good administrators of these systems on linux and unix.