PDA

View Full Version : my freespire 2.0 experience

billybag
September 28th, 2007, 10:06 PM
my laptop harddrive recently crashed and i got a new one and i figured i would give freespire a try. normallyi run ubuntu and i have ubuntu on my desktop computer. their were a few things that drew me to freespire:
\
the whole plugnplay open box doesnt require a whole lot of setting up aspect. i know with ubuntu, i usually take 45 mins setting up codecs and what have you. so this sounded like a plus in my book

the cnr database

based on ubuntu

and curiousity all drew me to give freespire a try and so far i am not having fun. however, i think i remember thinking the same abnout ubuntu when i first started using it a few years back. anyway, here is what my experience has been thus far.

i started running it and quickly remembered why i dont like kde too much so i am waiting for gnome to finish setting up so i can hopefully use that instead. another thing that bothered me was realizing, after trying to install firefox themes, that what i was running was not actually firefox but lbrowser or some ****. lame, but whatever... i will give the CNR app a spin and get firefox. NOPE WRONG! SORRY TRY AGAIN APPARENTLY. for some reason my CNR is merely their for... looks? to trick you? i have tried installing 4 things including firefox... none of them actually installed.

video lags. youtube lags. nothing is more annoying than laggy video. gr. that is going to be a problem for me. ps. saosin was better with anthony green

that is about all right now. i will probably update this later on. i am hoping gnome works out. kde is cool and everything... but i much prefer gnome. if anyone else would like to share freespire 2.0 experiences then please feel freee

xArv3nx
September 28th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Do NOT run Gnome on Freespire. Freespire isn't meant to be as flexible as most other linux distros.

It's possible to install Gnome on Freespire, but you'll most likely just bork your system. =/

Frak
September 28th, 2007, 11:46 PM
It doesn't detect my hardware right, it crashes often, and, IMHO, it works like a huge hunk 'o snot.

'Buntu and OS X are all I need, Windows now and then for gaming.

xArv3nx
September 29th, 2007, 01:42 AM
It doesn't detect my hardware right, it crashes often, and, IMHO, it works like a huge hunk 'o snot.

'Buntu and OS X are all I need, Windows now and then for gaming.
If you think crashes are bad, you should try Linspire 6 w/ a JFS filesystem. Freeze --> reboot --> filesystem corrupted.

SCORE!

Frak
September 29th, 2007, 01:44 AM
If you think crashes are bad, you should try Linspire 6 w/ a JFS filesystem. Freeze --> reboot --> filesystem corrupted.

SCORE!
:lolflag: