PDA

View Full Version : Kid safe pc?

luvdemheels
September 28th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I have children ages 9 to 4. I want to make a kid safe pc for them with ubuntu. They currently have their own pc that dual boots with windows. I want to just run ubuntu but need to know how to set it up so they can browse the internet without me worrying if they get to the wrong site.

Any ideas for ubuntu?? Hopefully something easy to setup with a gui.

PatrickMay16
September 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I don't have much expertise on this.
But here is something I do know. If there's a particular site you want to block, you could put something like this in the /etc/hosts file:

127.0.0.1 www.blockedwebsite.com

That will make it so that it is not possible for one to get to the example site "blockedwebsite.com".

HermanAB
September 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Hmm, there is Edubuntu.

Cheers,

Herman

regomodo
September 28th, 2007, 06:42 PM
opendns

Get an account, set it up and use the filters.

Done

PriceChild
September 28th, 2007, 07:13 PM
opendns

Get an account, set it up and use the filters.

Done+1

Set your router up with opendns instead of the machine, so that every time your machine dhcp's with it, it will get the opendns stuff settings again incase.

Dark Aspect
September 28th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I don't have much expertise on this.
But here is something I do know. If there's a particular site you want to block, you could put something like this in the /etc/hosts file:

127.0.0.1 www.blockedwebsite.com

That will make it so that it is not possible for one to get to the example site "blockedwebsite.com".
hmm..........Would there be a way to do that with Windows XP?

I use Ubuntu but I was wanting to block a site form someones XP computer.

adamonduty
September 29th, 2007, 04:04 AM
There is an /etc/hosts equivalent file in Windows.... I think it is under c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc .

Dark Aspect
September 29th, 2007, 04:28 AM
There is an /etc/hosts equivalent file in Windows.... I think it is under c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc .
Thanks I'll look around the system32 folder.

n3tfury
September 29th, 2007, 04:31 AM
don't forget to enable hidden files

in windows explorer: tools>options>view>hidden files and folders>show hidden files and folders

southernman
September 29th, 2007, 04:34 AM
I don't think edubuntu makes the desktop automatically "kid safe" as what your looking for, but I'd suggest if you don't use edubuntu over Ubuntu, I'd still opt to install the educational programs for your childrens age range(s).

Do as already Pricechild confirmed and added own suggestions to.

Good Luck.