PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Filetype Registry

Kenobi
September 28th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Hi,

which file in Ubuntu stores which extension (e.g. .mp3) opens with which programs (e.g. vlc, totem, with totem being the default) ???

LaRoza
September 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Linux doesn't use file extensions, it goes by file type.

Open a terminal, and use the command "file" followed by a file or directory. It will detect the file type no matter what the exension is, unlike Windows.

I think in is in preferences->prefered applications, but I am not sure, I don't use GNOME.

amendt
September 28th, 2007, 03:53 PM
In your file manager (Nautilus) right click on the file and go properties. From there you can select which program to use for a specific file extention.

Kenobi
September 28th, 2007, 05:42 PM
yeah, I know you can go and use nautilus, this is exactly what I mean. Thanks for mentioning file, it is a surely interesting part I'll have a look at. But I need that information of nautilus...

Where does nautilus *STORE* that information? I'm writing a program and it can't just open and click into nautilus, it needs the exact file of that information in ubuntu.

Perfect Storm
September 28th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Thread moved. Better chance you getting the right help here with your problem.

mssever
September 28th, 2007, 11:50 PM
See the files /etc/mailcap and /etc/mime.types. Nautilus probably stores changes from the system-wide defaults in gconf somewhere.

Kenobi
September 29th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Hi,

thanks alot mssever, that's exactly what I needed. I found that the user specific data is stored in /home/[usr]/.local/share/applications/.

thanks to everyone who participated in this thread!