PDA

View Full Version : why ditch Vista?

Dwiman89
September 28th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Hi, im writing a cause and effect essay on what causes people to get rid of vista. It has to be three paragraphs long and each paragraph has to be at least five sentences. any input would be great. Thanks for the help.

Dwiman89
September 28th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Hi, im writing a cause and effect essay on what causes people to get rid of vista. It has to be three paragraphs long and each paragraph has to be at least five sentences. any input would be great. Thanks for the help.

TheBuzzSaw
September 28th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Microsoft Windows is probably half the reason Linux is thriving today. If Microsoft would listen more closely to its customers and design its operating system accordingly, there would be more support for it! Sadly, on top of being closed source, Microsoft places too much emphasis on "intellectual property rights"; they implement serial keys and block modifications (even if the intent is to improve the system). Ubuntu supports free software and encourages contributions from developers everywhere! There is no guilt in trying to tweak the system. Once people discover how powerful and friendly Ubuntu is, there really is no reason to return to using Windows. Ubuntu runs faster and more efficiently. Vista, on the other hand, eats up too many resources and kills laptop battery life.

Everyone has his or her own set of reasons. Sometimes, people need Windows-specific software, so they keep it around. Otherwise, Linux offers more freedom.

Gone fishing
September 28th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Where to begin!

A plethora of versions – the only worthwhile versions being colossally expensive and Vista ultimate gives you less than Ubuntu for free.
So slow a dual core PC with a Gig of ram crawls on Vista as for a laptop with 512 Megs of RAM and Vista basic is so slow its utmost unusable.
An interface that is so Wizard driven it's unintuitive I'm trying to remember how to change the IP address of a network card on Vista > Control panel > network sharing control center > view status > properties. How do you change the monitor refresh rate without searching in help?
Why will Vista business not join my domain, Win 98, Windows XP and Vista do. Oh and the error message is nonsensical.
Extra slowness why does explorer take up to 30 seconds to show the network or the contents of a folder every time you open it?
DRM an essay on its own
Many Windows programs don't work on it Office 2000
Freedom

dpar
September 28th, 2007, 06:46 AM
If you like eye candy........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPecBxM2f6c

SunnyRabbiera
September 28th, 2007, 06:46 AM
well I can gess saying "because it sucks" isnt good enough for you so I will say nothing further ;)

Sef
September 28th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Locked. This looks too much like you want others to do your homework for you.

swisscow
September 28th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Wasn't this thread locked on another category by a moderator as he doesn't want people to do your homework for you?? :)

lisati
September 28th, 2007, 07:39 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3439070&postcount=3

lisati
September 28th, 2007, 07:40 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3438967&postcount=5

hoodlum
September 28th, 2007, 07:43 AM
u if wanna know y 2 ditch Vista, try it out 4 urself and do ur own homework..lol

mindtrick
September 28th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Google "Vista sucks" or "Why Vista sucks"

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,120,000 for vista sucks

miggols99
September 28th, 2007, 08:51 AM
My personal reasons why I hate vista:

Takes up loads of system resources
Cheap imitation of Beryl/Compiz (Aero)
DRM locks you in
Way over priced

There's loads more ;)

sstusick
September 28th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Google is a great source of info :-D

xpod
September 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Why not ditch Vista seems like a better question...:)

I`ve donated our Vista Ultimate cd to a friend who cant really afford the spanking new Vista PC her son is pestering her to buy just now.
Shes upgraded his RAM and bought him a better gfx card and he`s managed to install the thing ok i think......never heard back anyway.

The only problem though is she plans on giving us the Vista cd back once she does get him his new pc after the year.....that was`nt part of the deal:(

sstusick
September 28th, 2007, 09:26 AM
You don't have to accept it's return.

xpod
September 28th, 2007, 12:26 PM
You don't have to accept it's return.

ok ok,i was`nt being too serious about the returning the disk part..........of course i`ll take it back if she offers,have you seen how much those things can cost.:wink:

It was actually the missus who suggested we should help sort her friends situation out and the cd was lying in a box of pc junk doing nothing better anyway.Even the big shiney case was too bloated for my little shelf of disks.

I did try Vista for a couple of months just to see what might have been but even now with better spec than i had at the time i dont think i would ever actually install it again.....
Ubuntu & Co have everything we could ever possibly need and if the kids ever want/need a Windows installation then the all know where the XP drive is,or even the XP cd is they want to install the thing...and pigs might fly of course:)

LaRoza
September 28th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Are you asking why others did?

I bought Vista on January 29, installed on the 30th, and overwrote with Ubuntu as soon as I got it.

Vista is:

* Unstable, Explorer crashes a lot
* Buggy, Defragmenter will not do what you tell it to, Notepad crashes also, showing it is not a resources problem
* Expensive
* Not as good as Linux or as fast

bapoumba
September 28th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Merged dup thread in this closed one.