http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050811-5196.html
](*,)

sapo
August 11th, 2005, 10:29 PM
i still cant believe how large the human stupidity can be :roll:

KingBahamut
August 11th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Here is the Scarey part.
Currently, the Copyright Office uses Siebel 7.7 as its CRM software, which is not certified to work with browsers other than IE and Netscape 7.0.2. An update to version 7.8 is in the offing, which will add support for Firefox 1.0.3 (and Mozilla 1.7.7), but according to the Copyright Office, it will not be deployed in time for the launch.

Its fairly well known that Tom Siebel has been fending off money trouble for a long while now. Why the Copyright office would depend on it is , well, scarey.

He needs to go back to Oracle.

agger
August 11th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Here is the Scarey part.
Currently, the Copyright Office uses Siebel 7.7 as its CRM software, which is not certified to work with browsers other than IE and Netscape 7.0.2. An update to version 7.8 is in the offing, which will add support for Firefox 1.0.3 (and Mozilla 1.7.7), but according to the Copyright Office, it will not be deployed in time for the launch.

Its fairly well known that Tom Siebel has been fending off money trouble for a long while now. Why the Copyright office would depend on it is , well, scarey.

He needs to go back to Oracle.
And, anyway:

Why would a government agency build a web site in anything but standards-compliant HTML (which should support ANY standards-compliant browser?).

I mean: Why speak of Firefox and Mozilla support when a standards-compliant
web page ought to work with Opera or Konqueror as well?

OneSeventeen
August 11th, 2005, 11:31 PM
I'm thinking of making a car air pump funded by the government, and to be used by all americans...
do you see any problems if it only works for Ford trucks?

(printing and mailing my opinion now! don't forget your 5 copies!)

TravisNewman
August 12th, 2005, 01:41 AM
When I first read that I thought it said "mormons in full glory"

YourSurrogateGod
August 12th, 2005, 01:45 AM
*lol*

somuchfortheafter
August 12th, 2005, 01:46 AM
as did i.... i was about to go what the hell is this about lol.

YourSurrogateGod
Another worthy Einstein quote...

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

drizek
And, anyway:

Why would a government agency build a web site in anything but standards-compliant HTML (which should support ANY standards-compliant browser?).

I mean: Why speak of Firefox and Mozilla support when a standards-compliant
web page ought to work with Opera or Konqueror as well?
wasnt the department of homalnd security recomending people use a non-IE browser a few months ago?

YourSurrogateGod
August 12th, 2005, 02:04 AM
wasnt the department of homalnd security recomending people use a non-IE browser a few months ago?
Yeh. But just like with software, every time you try to create a bigger and better government administration at handling things, the universe creates bigger and better idiots to screw things over.

poofyhairguy
August 12th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Support for Netscape 7.2, Firefox 1.0.3, and Mozilla 1.7.7 is planned but will not be available when preregistration goes into effect.

I'm kinda happy they just know what Firefox is.....

benplaut
August 12th, 2005, 08:11 AM
I'm kinda happy they just know what Firefox is.....

come on people!

what about the poor Lynx users out there?!

drizek
August 12th, 2005, 08:43 AM
come on people!

what about the poor Lynx users out there?!

or, more importantly, the konquerors.

poofyhairguy
August 12th, 2005, 09:15 AM
or, more importantly, the konquerors.

And that remind me....where is mention of Safari?

KiwiNZ
August 12th, 2005, 09:48 AM
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt , its a Government Agency, it is probably hamstrung by underfunding

odin
August 12th, 2005, 10:41 AM
i still cant believe how large the human stupidity can be :roll:

and the worst thing is that there's no even patch for it.....

Davepet
August 13th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Well for those who don't have the time for an official "original +5 copy" snail mail, I bet if they get enough unofficial comments here, they may get the point:

http://www.copyright.gov/help/