PDA

View Full Version : How can firefox read my mind?

Boomy
September 28th, 2007, 05:05 AM
One thing I don't understand is how the search bar in firefox is able to autocomplete just about everything I type into it instantly. I I'm talking just about anything. It comes up with a list so fast. Is everything that ever was cached on my HD, or am I connected to a database that is just that quick. How do they do that? :confused:

jfinkels
September 28th, 2007, 05:08 AM
That's not Firefox, that's Google. I'm assuming you're talking about the Google search bar to the right of the address bar (by default). Those are Google's suggestions, I believe.

Tiekyl
September 28th, 2007, 05:09 AM
It is kinda freakish though... o.O

jfinkels
September 28th, 2007, 05:14 AM
It is kinda freakish though... o.O

If by freakish you mean all sorts of awesome and exciting searching and machine learning algorithms, then yes, it's freakish :D

Boomy
September 28th, 2007, 05:14 AM
I was looking for a picture of that cheese cartoon character that used to sing the song "hanker for a hunk of cheese" between Saturday morning cartoons in the 70's, and as soon as I typed in "hanker" it already knew what I was talking about. I couldn't believe it.

http://krixfort.typepad.com/hells_half_acre/images/timer.gif

diskotek
September 28th, 2007, 09:04 AM
i'm afraid of technology sometimes :roll:

microsoft92sucks
September 28th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Ive always loved that toolbar but I often type stuff in it that doesn't come up. But most the time it does.
It would take some hardcore hardware to read your mind. But it wouldn't surprise me if Firefox or Linux did it with a wifi card. (I know it's not possible)

stalker145
September 28th, 2007, 12:58 PM
One thing I don't understand is how the search bar in firefox is able to autocomplete just about everything I type into it instantly. I I'm talking just about anything. It comes up with a list so fast. Is everything that ever was cached on my HD, or am I connected to a database that is just that quick. How do they do that? :confused:

It just shows how much more advanced Open Source is than Closed ;)

:lolflag: