PDA

View Full Version : How to report a scammer to authorities?

Boomy
September 28th, 2007, 04:42 AM
I got a scammer email saying that a relative of mine has passed away and left me 6.4 million USD. His IP puts him somewhere in Malaysia. I notified his isp but got no response.

What upsets me is somehow this ****** got my real name. I've only ever associated my real name with my email address on job resumes. I can't really think of how he got my real name.

Anyway, I've been having some fun ******* with him. I told him I don't have a bank account and if he delivered the money personally, I'd give him $100K and pay for a harem of prostitutes while he is here. He says he can't move the money until he gets my bank account number and drivers license. How do I go about reporting this ****** to the proper authorities?

rivalarrival
September 28th, 2007, 05:19 AM
The "authorities" are pretty much impotent in dealing with this kind of fraud which is why these clowns operate with impunity. Reporting him is probably more trouble than it's worth.

If the only time you've used your real name with that e-mail address is on a resume, then it's pretty obvious where he got it - the clowns who took your resume either have an insecure system or the job offer was bogus.

Boomy
September 28th, 2007, 05:25 AM
That's what I was thinking, but I wondered if somebody might have ideas. Anyone know how I can get him another way, such as tricking him to execute a virus on his computer. How can I make one of those images that scare the **** out of people. You know the one where you're looking at something nice and peaceful and then a big monster flashes on the screen and scares you? It would be awesome to send a phony driver's lisense scan that all of a sudden flashes the infamouse goatsee picture. Animated gif?

eph1973
September 28th, 2007, 05:39 AM
The best thing you is either ignore him further, or lead him on as to waste his time trying to get information you'll never tell him. There are scambaiters out there who love to waste these guys' time and resources so they can't scam as many people. An example of that is here:
http://www.419eater.com/
It's actually pretty amazing what these guys will do if they think they are about to get paid.

Boomy
September 28th, 2007, 05:45 AM
I just sent him a scan of my passport and bank statement. Actually, it's the goatse.cx photo. :)

bigbrovar
September 28th, 2007, 06:38 AM
I just sent him a scan of my passport and bank statement. Actually, it's the goatse.cx photo. :)

my advise is just to ignore him or if u have the time search for the financial crime section of Malaysia police and try to report it to them...in my country there is a unit of law enforcement called the efcc -economic and financial crime commission and their are dong a good job and catching the pranksters...but if u dont have the tme just ignore him..

lisati
September 28th, 2007, 06:44 AM
I dob't know about Malaysia, but here in New Zealand, we have a recently introduced law about Spam and unsolicited email.

I've received emails claiming that someone with my surname who supposedly is (was?) a national of my country had died and left a large estate. Because my real family name is fairly uncommon here in NZ (I'm related to most who have some claim to the name) such emails are fairly easy to spot as bogus.

I like the idea of having some fun with the people - sending them a bill for your time via PayPal sometimes makes them go away. Simply ignoring them can also work.

dptxp
September 28th, 2007, 06:52 AM
I get these mails on routine basis. I also win a lot of lotteries. These people should be tracked and put behind the bars.
People get tricked into these and end up paying the so called account opening charges which are hefty.

lisati
September 28th, 2007, 06:57 AM
I get these mails on routine basis. I also win a lot of lotteries. These people should be tracked and put behind the bars.
People get tricked into these and end up paying the so called account opening charges which are hefty.

Forget the lotteries - don't go anywhere those emails! Any "prize" you've won when you don't remember buying a ticket is probably a bit suspect. And there's a "free" lotto site that told me I'd won a prize, and as part of the winning confirmation they wanted my credit card number. Very suspicious.

slimdog360
September 28th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I got a scammer email saying that a relative of mine has passed away and left me 6.4 million USD. His IP puts him somewhere in Malaysia. I notified his isp but got no response.

What upsets me is somehow this ****** got my real name. I've only ever associated my real name with my email address on job resumes. I can't really think of how he got my real name.

Anyway, I've been having some fun ******* with him. I told him I don't have a bank account and if he delivered the money personally, I'd give him $100K and pay for a harem of prostitutes while he is here. He says he can't move the money until he gets my bank account number and drivers license. How do I go about reporting this ****** to the proper authorities?

6.4 million dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!111. Give it to me if you dont want it you lucky ducky.