PDA

View Full Version : Linux on Alienware!

illuminaris
September 28th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I was comparing Mac vs. Alienware Notebooks and I came across an interesting thread on some random site. Apparently Alienware is gathering data through surveys on whether or not they should include the option to order your Alienware with Linux pre-installed. Awesome, right? Maybe this is old new, maybe it's not. I'm not just posting for the news update, though, I was hoping the community could help out and go to this link below:

http://www.alienware.com/Surveys/AlienSurvey.aspx?Id=29607129825

That is the link to the survey, which is very fast and simple. The more people who tell them how awesome Linux is, the better chances we have of another vendor/merchant selling Linux based systems. I hope everyone will chip in and do their part.

RAV TUX
September 28th, 2007, 01:02 AM
I was comparing Mac vs. Alienware Notebooks and I came across an interesting thread on some random site. Apparently Alienware is gathering data through surveys on whether or not they should include the option to order your Alienware with Linux pre-installed. Awesome, right? Maybe this is old new, maybe it's not. I'm not just posting for the news update, though, I was hoping the community could help out and go to this link below:

That is the link to the survey, which is very fast and simple. The more people who tell them how awesome Linux is, the better chances we have of another vendor/merchant selling Linux based systems. I hope everyone will chip in and do their part.

Alienware is owned by Dell, it's only natural that they would sell these systems with Linux also.

Crashmaxx
September 28th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Alienware is really overpriced. Otherwise I would consider them, cause the systems they have always look really nice and seem to be well constructed.

It would be really cool to have them sell Linux, but I don't see it working out for them unless they sell dual boots, cause most people that shell out that kind of cash are gamers and I can only see those users being disappointed.

On the other hand, maybe it would open the minds of those making games and show them that using OpenGL and doing Linux ports is really worthwhile. Too bad that really seems like a pipe dream at the moment.

~LoKe
September 28th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Alienware is owned by Dell, it's only natural that they would sell these systems with Linux also.

Yep. And hopefully soon, Dell will offer Linux to Canadian customers.

AZ_RUNE
April 23rd, 2009, 05:38 AM
Alienware is really overpriced. Otherwise I would consider them, cause the systems they have always look really nice and seem to be well constructed.

It would be really cool to have them sell Linux, but I don't see it working out for them unless they sell dual boots, cause most people that shell out that kind of cash are gamers and I can only see those users being disappointed.

On the other hand, maybe it would open the minds of those making games and show them that using OpenGL and doing Linux ports is really worthwhile. Too bad that really seems like a pipe dream at the moment.

Actually with WINE coming as far along as it has and their pro version CROSSOVER I run my app compatibility layer on my Dell XPS M1730 and Office, CS2, and WoW run fine. I am working on buying their m17x with the nVidia Quadro card because of the OpenGL support and I expect it to do great!

Brian

kg4cna
July 22nd, 2009, 06:41 AM
About three weeks ago, I loaded Ubuntu 9.04 on an Alienware M17-R1 laptop. Everything works fine EXCEPT the ATI graphics driver...so, no compiz :( When I loaded the restricted driver, it screwed it up. Didn't think I'd ever get that straightened out. All is well now and the owner is very happy!

As a matter of fact, just this evening, I reduced the Win partition and let Ubuntu have almost the entire 250 GB drive. Man that system flies with 9.04!

Thanks!
Allen
:guitar:

pedro_orange
July 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
I have 8.10 running on an 'old' Alienware Sentina, everything works fine.
I actually use it for work sometimes.

I have to say though, Alienware laptops are so not worth it. A few days after I bought it, my friend walked past me as I was sat on the sofa using it, caught her foot in the cable - and it dropped off my lap to the floor (literally like 1 foot or so) and it cost £600 to repair!!
All that was wrong, was that the button on the case wasn't pressing the power button in under the case. Stupid eh?

I've had it now for a couple of years, and about the only good thing I can say about it, is that the screen is really nice. But the computer itself is really shoddy. Build quality isn't great either.

I like the idea of getting Linux pre-installed on hardware. But you don't have to get a Dell one. You can google search for loads of vendors. Here in the UK there are a few that sell Linux desktops/laptops & I buy from them when I need a new computer :)

Swarms
July 22nd, 2009, 10:36 AM

Because Alienware targets gamers, who can't play their favorite games as good as on Windows?

koleoptero
July 22nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Because Alienware targets gamers, who can't play their favorite games as good as on Windows?

Because Alienware targets geeks too, who can find a way to play their games under linux. :P

Grenage
July 22nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
I can't think of many geeks who would pay twice as much, rather than build their own machine.

koleoptero
July 22nd, 2009, 11:45 AM
I can't think of many geeks who would pay twice as much, rather than build their own machine.

*Raises hand* Me! :P

Also it's not twice as much. I've checked their pricing, and for a ~2.000$ Alienware PC I could set it up myself for about 150$ less, which would probably be the amount of work they've put to overclock the CPU and GPU like they do most of the time.

Plus I really like their rigs.

t0p
July 22nd, 2009, 12:03 PM

Not all geeks have the time or inclination to build their own machine, so would rather "pay someone to do it for them." And all those little kids working in computer manufacturing sweat-shops gotta eat, y'know.

calrogman
July 22nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
Yep. And hopefully soon, Dell will offer Linux to Canadian customers.

http://bit.ly/4IImv - Mini 12 running Ubuntu 8.04.1 on http://www.dell.ca

Swarms
July 22nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
Because Alienware targets geeks too, who can find a way to play their games under linux. :P

But must gamergeeks wants most bang for their buck and when it comes to gaming, Windows is the place to go sadly.

zetanuxi
October 10th, 2009, 12:56 AM
About three weeks ago, I loaded Ubuntu 9.04 on an Alienware M17-R1 laptop.

I was thinking about getting one for my mobile DJ rig and was wondering if the video card was the only thing that wasn't working. If that's the case, since I was planning on getting the nvidia GPU instead, then I think I'll get one. :)

niite
October 11th, 2009, 06:38 PM

This survey is worth a bump!

stmiller
October 11th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Be aware this thread is from 2007,

Dimitriid
October 11th, 2009, 09:23 PM

If at all, many games are just a no show on wine or require so much special steps and configurations its barely worth it.

starcannon
October 11th, 2009, 09:26 PM
If Alienware releases a line of Linux boxes, I'd give them serious consideration on my next computer purchase. I filled out the survey, thanks for the heads up.

cariboo
October 11th, 2009, 09:40 PM
You all realize that this thread is an oldy moldy from 3 years ago. It would be preferred that you start a new thread linking to this thread instead resurrecting the dead. This thread is closed due to thread necromancy.