PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Killer

RudolfMDLT
September 27th, 2007, 07:27 PM
How many people do you think would plug this thing in if it came packaged with their pc they just bought at Wall Mart? I rate about 20%+ of the people will have NO CLUE why their box went up in smoke! :)

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2038/ethernkillervo5.jpg

Andrewie
September 27th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I got baned for posting the HD key, so you may want to remove it. Can you upload the picture somewhere, it isn't showing up

RudolfMDLT
September 27th, 2007, 07:39 PM
got baned for posting the HD key, so you may want to remove it.

Serious? that sucks - I'll change it now. :(

Can you upload the picture somewhere, it isn't showing up

Done! :)

fuscia
September 27th, 2007, 07:41 PM
what is it?

igknighted
September 27th, 2007, 07:43 PM
The picture's too small, what is this?

p_quarles
September 27th, 2007, 07:46 PM
It's an ethernet cable with aj RJ45 jack on one end and an electrical plug on the other. Yes, I'm guessing that would do some damage.

RudolfMDLT
September 27th, 2007, 07:52 PM
What started as a chuckle is driving me to tears! :) anyway - resized and re-uploaded!

tgalati4
September 27th, 2007, 07:55 PM
It could be a power supply for cat5 box. Some units use an RJ45 to get their power. It's isolated by a transformer so it's not a direct connect. It could also be a way to get ethernet over the power lines.

I'd be more concerned with the lead content in the vinyl insulation.

FoamRocket
September 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I think it's pretty funny :D

RudolfMDLT
September 27th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I think it's pretty funny :D

I do some help-desk/installation work over holidays to for extra pocket money - I would just love to get a call from some one right after they had plugged it in! ("I just plugged my network into the wallsocket and now my box won't switch on, it's a brand new pc dammit!?")

igknighted
September 27th, 2007, 08:13 PM
AAHHH, I get it... It looked like there was only one prong, I'm not used to you euro's and your 220v outlets...

BDNiner
September 27th, 2007, 09:32 PM
wouldn't that work for power over ethernet. I have rigged a POE device where i had to use the 4 unused wires in the ethernet cable to provide power to a wireless transmitter. It had a DC adapter though so it was not 120 volts being delivered to the transmitter.

mcduck
September 27th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I'm pretty sure Power Over Ethernet doesn't use 230V AC straight out of the wall socket :D

I remember it's more like 25-60V DC..

Anyway, that cable saved my day. I'll probably have to make one like that for myself some day, just for the fun of it.

thisllub
September 27th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I do some help-desk/installation work over holidays to for extra pocket money - I would just love to get a call from some one right after they had plugged it in! ("I just plugged my network into the wallsocket and now my box won't switch on, it's a brand new pc dammit!?")

I have twice encountered people who don't understand why their computer doesn't work after they switched the power supply from 240 to 110.

RudolfMDLT
September 28th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I have twice encountered people who don't understand why their computer doesn't work after they switched the power supply from 240 to 110.

LOL! Exactly the type that'll fall for a prank like above, hook line and sinker! :P

bruce89
September 28th, 2007, 04:28 PM
AAHHH, I get it... It looked like there was only one prong, I'm not used to you euro's and your 220v outlets...

You'd like our 3 prong ones then.

KFwLsKvVAs
March 4th, 2013, 09:31 PM
I work in an IT help desk. I was thinking of using one of these to fry my work computer since it's so old and slow, thereby getting a much newer model (but it wouldn't matter, those are also pretty old).

overdrank
March 4th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Back to sleep thread