PDA

View Full Version : The passion that is hatred!

farmfield
September 27th, 2007, 02:34 PM
As an old fox in an old game I find it really entertaining that Steve Jobs are becoming as impopular as Bill Gates... This is something for Google trends...

I've come to realise that the Linux fan in general can be described as the proverbial underdog, by choice or by nature, and one outlet is describing mainstream as wrong and ugly... In here we're all pseudo-anarchists.

So for example; Anarchists (or Hip-Hop'ers, Skaters, you name the subculture) in general dress differently compared to the mainstream population, but as a group they dress very similarly, making it mainstream, but only in that particular group of individuals.

Mac-users are in them self a subculture. With MacOS having only 3% of the global OS market, it makes Apple, as a manufacturer of operating systems, tiny. Due to genius marketing they always stood out in a crowd though, and the Mac/MacOS users were very proud to be members of this very exclusive club.

Linux users are of coarse similar to MacOS users, but even more so as one need to be quite computer literate to run Linux, editing configuration files manually a.s.o...

So as the iPod quadrupled Apples earnings, Vista is generally considered crap, Apple as a underdog becomes "king of the land" and the club isn't very exclusive any more. But Linux still were...

Now that is about to change. Linux distros as Ubunto have reached a level where they are comparable with Windows and MacOS when it comes to ease of installation and use. You don't need to be a hacker to run them anymore... And the exclusivity vanishes over night...

So where does a linux-anarchist-type-user go from there? The status of being the proverbial underdog with an ace up his sleeve is sliding away fast...

I wonder what the future holds for the Linux-anarchists. What will the selfmade it-pro's in here do when Linux is as mainstream as Windows... Where will we turn? Who will we hate? Perhaps Richard Branson is up next?

My guess is that it's the one of us that makes a billion or two from knowing Linux. He's gonna be the Bill Gates for the next generation... Let's call that an educated guess too...

Cheers/Johnny-Boy

This post is a compilation of two similar posts regarding Win vs OSX-users and comparing it all with Linux... =)

Johnsie
September 27th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I'm just a guy who wants my computer to boot up quickly and have no spyware :-) Richard Branson did screw up NTL though :-p

Nano Geek
September 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I can't figure out what your point is.

DoctorMO
September 27th, 2007, 03:18 PM
You may need to get a bit of a life though, I mean it's one thing to believe in things passionately; it's quite another to only use them because they are exclusive.

No one is a winner because they choose to loose and a society is not built out of exclusive clubs.

$ rm /rectum/head

beyond2moro
September 27th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I downloaded PCBSD yesterday, maybe time to become a new sort of geek? :lolflag:

tcpip4lyfe
September 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM
$ rm /rectum/head

lol!

Sporkman
September 27th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I downloaded PCBSD yesterday

How is it? Did it go smoothly?

farmfield
September 27th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I can't figure out what your point is.

Well my point, if any, is to giggle about the nature of things. I have no agenda, I just saw something and needed to analyze it. I'm not making a statement of any kind, this was more a contemplation...

I saw a trend; People now dislike Steve Jobs and thats new to me. Jobs has always been an underdog hero - but it get's interesting when the hero goes from underdog to mainstream.

If Linux should suddenly grow to be the mainstream OS and Microsoft were to remain in the background, holding just a few procent of the market; Would the Microsoft users praise Gates as an underdog and fight against the GNU? That thought makes me giggle a bit...

...but I'm not complaining or anything, rather Linux going mainstream than veganism, Klu Klux Klan or techno-music - to name a few... ;-)

Iceni
September 27th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I don't understand why they hate Jobs. If people are willing to pay for his overpriced mp3 players or macs because they look cool, then let them.

Apple does not show the same flaws that we see with Microsoft. Their OS is arguably the best there is, because it can be used by everybody and does not suffer from the windows problems. They don't use FUD, they don't promise the best os ever and then releases Vista. Their hardware is high quality and won't die from overheating.

Seems like people jumping on Jobs and Apple just wants to pull down the current top dog, no matter who that is.

igknighted
September 27th, 2007, 10:18 PM
blah blah blah...

Didn't read your post yet (but will as soon as I write this), just wanted to commend your excellent choice of avatar. I'm still riding my lowly Z5 from like 6 years ago, but hopefully will upgrade to a Z1 or a DJ soon. I love 'zocci forks :)

igknighted
September 27th, 2007, 10:21 PM
You may need to get a bit of a life though, I mean it's one thing to believe in things passionately; it's quite another to only use them because they are exclusive.

No one is a winner because they choose to loose and a society is not built out of exclusive clubs.

$ rm /rectum/head

Except Cubs fans. :lolflag:

Acglaphotis
September 27th, 2007, 11:39 PM
They'll go to BSD...

EDIT: DARN, beaten to it.

farmfield
September 28th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Their hardware is high quality and won't die from overheating.

Hmm, that's partly Intel fault who doesn't box proper fans... Tried the "fail-mode" in Everest on this box when it was new and it amazed me that the test shut down after 15 sec's due to the cpu/cores overheating... Intel Core2Duo 1.83 w/ original Intel fan...

But I agree. The Mac is - as they state - the best out of the box OS today... I bought an iPod when the G5/"video" came out - I totally forgot about iTunes though - sold it after 2 days, hehe...

Frak
September 28th, 2007, 04:32 AM
I downloaded PCBSD yesterday, maybe time to become a new sort of geek? :lolflag:
Mega-Elitist?

j/k :lolflag:

farmfield
September 28th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, the "Marzocchist" idea- and logo was one of few bright ideas I ever had... xD

Zocchi's are hard to get here in Sweden now though, as no-one want's to deal with Italian companies - you really need to be Italian and/or really know the language to import from Italy... =(

blueturtl
September 28th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I've come to realise that the Linux fan in general can be described as the proverbial underdog, by choice or by nature, and one outlet is describing mainstream as wrong and ugly... In here we're all pseudo-anarchists.

It's a process of sorts. I admit when I joined the community I was tired and frustrated with Windows. I wanted it off my system and had to nag at everyone who used it instead of "better" alternatives. I posted in every thread where someone might have been bashing Windows/Microsoft. After a while it goes away though, and you begin heal. I actually reinstalled Windows as of late, so I now dual boot (to play my games) and I'm completely content. I have the best of both worlds. I'm never buying another OS from Microsoft but I accept their existence. The spirit of Ubuntu has finally caught up with the Ubuntu user. :) I don't want to be anti-bad-things any longer, I want to be pro-good-things.

I see many frustrated and angry comments posted even here on these forums and I can totally see where these people are coming from. I used to be one of them. The angry Linux nerd.

I doubt many of us are here simply because we hate mainstream on principle. Some are, but then most people already view Ubuntu as mainstream within Linux and probably migrate to less popular distros for that reason. :)