PDA

View Full Version : Something about this seems awfully familiar...

Sudo-su
September 27th, 2007, 12:51 PM
"360Desktop is a startup that reorganizes the standard Windows desktop into a panoramic, revolving pane of glass thousands of pixels long.

360Desktop does not replace the Windows user interface. It overlays and redefines it so the viewing area can be extended, Jones said. He envisions numerous Web resources being added as the user scrolls through what is meant to feel like a continuous pane of glass, instead of just a screen.

He said it also will be a highly personalize-able environment, with some users perhaps using a favorite street scene in New York or Prague as their backdrop as they move around the desktop. As you reach the end of the scene, you keep going, starting around again. The company offers an an artist's graphic of such a desktop on its Web site."

http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/2_360_promo.jpg

(From http://neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=42817)

I dunno, this seems strangely familiar to me for some reason...

Oh that's right...

COMPIZ/BERYL/COMPIZ-FRIGGIN-FUSION!!!

:lolflag:

Iceni
September 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM
You'll have to pay for it :)

jclmusic
September 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM
this reminds me of the time recently when apple introduced multiple workspaces as a "new breakthrough".

tbroderick
September 27th, 2007, 01:41 PM
You'll have to pay for it :)

It's free.

Dragonbite
September 27th, 2007, 01:56 PM
EXACTLY like Project Looking Glass (http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/)! Not even attempting to "hide" it. Yeesh!

Only date I could find was 2004, but I know it was quite a while ago I viewed the demo online.

Before Apple, even before Xgl, Compiz and Beryl (at least it was before I ever heard of these).

Johnsie
September 27th, 2007, 02:03 PM
OMG! People are doing graphical tricks with the interfaces on computers!!! This kind of thing has been going on for years, before Compiz/Beryl/Fusion were even thought of. It's also been in tonnes of movies.

angryfirelord
September 27th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Oh goody! Another crappy Microsoft product that eats up another 1GB of RAM! I bow to you, hardware vendors. :)

n3tfury
September 27th, 2007, 02:10 PM
oh goody another thread whining about someone stealing/borrowing/using/molesting someone else's idea that probably wasn't theirs to begin with.

the world ends now.

ComplexNumber
September 27th, 2007, 02:52 PM
this reminds me of the time recently when apple introduced multiple workspaces as a "new breakthrough".
as an aside, i've just been looking around for that quote, and i found it here:

“Breakthrough features like Time Machine and Spaces are good examples of how Mac OS X leads the industry in operating system innovation,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “While Microsoft tries to copy the version of OS X we shipped a few years ago, we’re leaping ahead again with Leopard.”
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/aug/07leopard.html

hehe the cheek of the guy(ie steve jobs) is astonishing. i find it amazing how steve jobs and apple can make such simple long-ago-innovated features seem so fresh and hyped.

tbroderick
September 27th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Oh goody! Another crappy Microsoft product that eats up another 1GB of RAM! I bow to you, hardware vendors. :)

It's not a Microsoft product.

phrostbyte
September 27th, 2007, 03:03 PM
It's free.

If it's free, where do I download it? Oh wait, I can't.

:^o

Let's not make assumptions about things until they actually come true.

tbroderick
September 27th, 2007, 03:40 PM
If it's free, where do I download it? Oh wait, I can't.

Let's not make assumptions about things until they actually come true.

It's not released yet. You can sign up for beta testing if you want.

http://www.360desktop.com/360contact.php

The website clearly states that it's going to be free.

Is 360desktop free? Really?

360desktop is free software and will always be available as a free download.

By 'free' we mean 'it costs nothing'

Sunflower1970
September 27th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't mind having this for my desktop at work since I have to use Windows....I miss my multiple desktops from my home computer...

oedipuss
September 27th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I'd love to see how they'll manage to support fullscreen apps or twinview, or other issues like that.
And since I suppose this is meant for Vista only, and it will run on top of aero, what will the actual hardware requirements and cpu usage be like.

tbroderick
September 27th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I
And since I suppose this is meant for Vista only, and it will run on top of aero, what will the actual hardware requirements and cpu usage be like.

Website says XP and Vista with Mac in the planning stage.

oedipuss
September 27th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Website says XP and Vista with Mac in the planning stage.

Whops
Still, I'm curious about it's speed / responsiveness which I suspect will be not optimal even in XP.

Dark Hornet
September 27th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I thank the computer gods everyday that at home I run a very beautiful desktop environment--Ubuntu 7.04 of course with compiz Fusion--, and at work i run Sun Solaris. I don't have to touch Windows. :)

~LoKe
September 27th, 2007, 10:49 PM
We steal from others, they steal from us, such is life.

JBAlaska
September 27th, 2007, 11:03 PM
This seems awfully similar to the "virtual desktop" that ATI has had in their windoze drivers for years, where you set a desktop way bigger that your screen and you scroll it by moving the mouse to the screen edges..damn I hated that "feature" lol

K.Mandla
September 28th, 2007, 12:57 AM
EXACTLY like Project Looking Glass (http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/)! Not even attempting to "hide" it. Yeesh!
Yup, that's PLG start to finish. Amazing how applications for Windows can be two and three years behind the curve and still get labeled "innovative" or "revolutionary." That's the magic of marketing, I guess.

delfick
September 28th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I wouldn't mind having this for my desktop at work since I have to use Windows....I miss my multiple desktops from my home computer...

then use an alternative shell for your window computer :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_%28computing%29#Graphical_.28GUI.29_shells

some of them have workspace capability...

n3tfury
September 28th, 2007, 01:59 AM

as delfick said, check out a diff shell. i use bb4win at work instead of explorer. i can't live without multiple desktops. bb4win has a mousewheel switcher plug in. a must have.

steveneddy
September 28th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I guess it is time for someone to start working on rounding the corners of the CF cube to get a full circle shaped desktop.

delfick
September 28th, 2007, 04:19 AM
I guess it is time for someone to start working on rounding the corners of the CF cube to get a full circle shaped desktop.

there's been quite a few threads about that on our many (compiz/beryl/compiz-fusion community) forums over the last year or so.....

though I'm not too sure how the devs feel about making that feature.......

steveneddy
September 29th, 2007, 03:21 AM
there's been quite a few threads about that on our many (compiz/beryl/compiz-fusion community) forums over the last year or so.....

though I'm not too sure how the devs feel about making that feature.......

Sure would be a cool "feature" though.

FuturePilot
September 29th, 2007, 03:26 AM
I knew it wouldn't be long before someone decided to make a ripoff of Compiz Fusion.:-|

PurposeOfReason
September 29th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Does it really matter? Honestly, they won't be the first, they won't be the last. If they wish to feel innovative, if apple wishes to market new ideas, who cares? You have them, you're happy, live with it and continue using what operating system you want. In the end, they're all just computers for us to enjoy. Enjoy it how you want.

koenn
September 29th, 2007, 10:09 AM
This seems awfully similar to the "virtual desktop" that ATI has had in their windoze drivers for years, where you set a desktop way bigger that your screen and you scroll it by moving the mouse to the screen edges..damn I hated that "feature" lol
fvwm, an X window manager from the early 90's, had the same feature. It takes some getting used to.

delfick
September 29th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Does it really matter?

subjective question :D :p

as an end user, not really

as the people who come with an idea that is then copied by someone else saying it was their own, then yes.......(the whole intellectual property issue)

:)

oedipuss
September 29th, 2007, 03:49 PM

I think if that were possible , it would be in c-f a long time ago..
Without having any technical knowledge, I suspect the current way desktops work is too much dependent on resolution. Ideally, everything in the desktop should remain the same no matter what resolution you use, just like in a game . Things do not become smaller if you go from 800x600 to 1280xX, just clearer. That would allow for properly implementing many such effects.

delfick
September 29th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I think if that were possible , it would be in c-f a long time ago..
Without having any technical knowledge, I suspect the current way desktops work is too much dependent on resolution. Ideally, everything in the desktop should remain the same no matter what resolution you use, just like in a game . Things do not become smaller if you go from 800x600 to 1280xX, just clearer. That would allow for properly implementing many such effects.

actually I spoke to the devs on irc after i made that post

it is possible, but their concerns are mainly to do with too much effort for too little return

and a few issues to do with it, such as what happens to maximised windows (because there are no set workspace boundaries) and such.....

omns
October 9th, 2007, 12:11 AM
hehe the cheek of the guy(ie steve jobs) is astonishing. i find it amazing how steve jobs and apple can make such simple long-ago-innovated features seem so fresh and hyped.

Well, fresh and hyped for the Joe average user. Average users wouldn't know where to begin with Beryl/Compiz/Fusion.

Yet again Apple waits until something is properly developed and polishes it to gem. :lolflag:
Linux could learn some lessons there if it ever wants to truly break into the desktop market

macogw
October 9th, 2007, 12:15 AM
as an aside, i've just been looking around for that quote, and i found it here:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/aug/07leopard.html

As $randomGuyInBookStore said "so, Apple's reinventing X-windows?"

macogw
October 9th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Well, fresh and hyped for the Joe average user. Average users wouldn't know where to begin with Beryl/Compiz/Fusion.

Yet again Apple waits until something is properly developed and polishes it to gem. :lolflag:
Linux could learn some lessons there if it ever wants to truly break into the desktop market
*ahem* I'm sitting in my Development of Open Source Software class and we're talking about the "release early, release often" philosophy that is the reason open source has done so well. We don't keep secrets, and we start getting user feedback immediately....

omns
October 9th, 2007, 12:22 AM
*ahem* I'm sitting in my Development of Open Source Software class and we're talking about the "release early, release often" philosophy that is the reason open source has done so well. We don't keep secrets, and we start getting user feedback immediately....

there's no criticism of Open Source here. I love open source just as you do. I just think Steve Jobs loves it more than any of us.

macogw
October 9th, 2007, 12:32 AM
The implication that the good ideas should wait until they're polished rubbed me the wrong way. I like seeing the rough spots and watching the software evolve and improve.