PDA

View Full Version : The Three Step Plan

aboutblank
September 27th, 2007, 02:23 AM
At our last meeting (Sept 20th), the majority of our time was spent on talking about the future of the group and our methods.

The system has been proposed in this way:

*Presentation - Get up and talk about free, open source software and Linux. Why should these people use it? Demo it! Show it off! Say "and if you're interested in installing it, we're having an install fest next Saturday" and calm their nerves.

*Install Fest - You know :)

*Support system - Ticket system + email?

We feel that presentations aimed at different groups of people will get more people into the install fest and more Ubuntu! We think most people are too scared or don't know what Linux is to come in to an install fest.

I am leading the second part - schedule an install fest and it will happen. What we've really got to work on is the first part. Unfortunately, I forget the gentleman's name but he put together the outline for a presentation. You can find it HERE (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarylandTeam/PresentationsTeam/LinuxAdvocacy) on the wiki.

Here's what needs to happen:
*Contribute to the wiki page
*Pick speakers
*Make a presentation
*Practice giving presentation with different speakers

We will be giving this presentation at the Microsoft Users Meeting on November 21st. I'm still waiting for information about where the meeting is. We have a meeting the week before on the 15th so we'll use that date to practice more.

Should we try to schedule an install fest on Dec 1st at Loyola?

parma1
September 27th, 2007, 04:21 PM
That "gentleman" using the term loosely(!) is me. Joel.

Yes. Hack on the outline in the wiki. Ultimately we'll turn that into one (or more) OO.o impress slideshows to take on the road.

-J.

rhoderickj
September 29th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I was really sorry to miss this last meeting. I had to stay late at work and I left for vacation the following day. I'm back in town now though (regretfully, of course). Did anyone happen to take any notes on what was discussed? Did the team decide not to do any sort of Ubuntu improvement projects (documentation/bugs/code)?

parma1
October 1st, 2007, 05:18 AM
We didn't decide not to do the bug squashing/code improvement things, we decided that we needed to grow the group a bit first. There are more tasks than people at present, and we haven't reached a critical mass yet.

-J.

ChuckFrain
October 2nd, 2007, 03:04 AM
We didn't go too much into the documentation/code/bug deal as there was no one with a strong interest in the topic.

However if you want to open discussions on when/where/how to do this that would be great!

rhoderickj
October 2nd, 2007, 04:04 AM
We didn't go too much into the documentation/code/bug deal as there was no one with a strong interest in the topic.

However if you want to open discussions on when/where/how to do this that would be great!

That's fine if no one is interested in it. I just wanted to point out that these were viable and recommended activities for LoCos. I think I've sufficiently made that point so we can put this on the back burner until there's enough team interest to start something in this area.