PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a mac?

Iceni
September 26th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I'm thinking of buying a new mac desktop. If I were to I would go for the 24 inch dual-core with the radeon 2600hd. I don't play games anymore and I can run Ubuntu fine on it, right?

So - should I? It will cost a little more but considering the large lcd screen and the hardware it is far from the horrible price difference of the past. I can build a pretty computer, but I'd like to try Leopard, and if I don't like it I can easily stick with Ubuntu.

nonewmsgs
September 26th, 2007, 11:23 PM
they're nice, but expensive. apple does make a good OS.

Acglaphotis
September 26th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Build yourself a pc and then put osx86 (check for compatibility before buying) it will be cheaper, but im biased : ) ---> That's what i did.

RAV TUX
September 26th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I'm thinking of buying a new mac desktop. If I were to I would go for the 24 inch dual-core with the radeon 2600hd. I don't play games anymore and I can run Ubuntu fine on it, right?

So - should I? It will cost a little more but considering the large lcd screen and the hardware it is far from the horrible price difference of the past. I can build a pretty computer, but I'd like to try Leopard, and if I don't like it I can easily stick with Ubuntu.

Q: So - should I?
A: No.

rsambuca
September 26th, 2007, 11:29 PM
As much as I don't like certain aspects of Apple, there are some pros for sure.

It is essentially a small form factor machine - no tower etc.
It is built on Unix
You can run virtually any OS on them now with bootcamp or parallels.

I still think they are a little bit overpriced, though. And the one button mouse is silly. I think every Mac user except Steve Jobs tosses it and buys a regular mouse!

Dimitriid
September 26th, 2007, 11:45 PM

No. Just like that, No that is not correct. There are some hype that is pushed yes but not pros.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007+1054808293&Configurator=&Subcategory=7&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

It is built on Unix
You can run virtually any OS on them now

That is true for what, the entire ibm-pc platform, you know, the one apple now uses since their own hardware was junk How long has Lilo and/or Grub have been doing that for, years?

I still think they are a little bit overpriced, though.

A little? You can build two systems equal or better with their prices.

Dark Hornet
September 26th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I like the macs, but personally I would opt for building my own machine...you can do it for a cheaper price, and you are able to research and buy only the parts that you KNOW will work with Linux. In addition, while the mac "looks" pretty, it is difficult to upgrade given its shape and size....just something to consider....good luck. :guitar:

rsambuca
September 26th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I knew I'd get flamed :)

Dimitriid:
Those small form factor machines do not nearly compare to the mac design. Sorry, but they don't. They have a separate monitor and case.

The one OS that you really can't run on any other platform is the OSX, that was my only point. There are hacks, but they don't work as well as the original.

And I don't have a mac, and wouldn't purchase one myself, but I am not blind to its benefits due to an irrational hatred of the company.

Iceni
September 26th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Everyone pretty much agrees:) Maybe I'll look into building a computer in a htpc case instead. They can get pretty cool.

Thanks.

mcduck
September 26th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I just bought myself one when my laptop with Ubuntu had a hard drive failure and I had to send it for repairs. I had been planning on getting a mac as I'm studying Multimedia Design and therefore I need lots of video, sound and graphics applications that are not available for Linux. (Yes, I can actually do great part of the tasks with Linux apps, but not everything, and I need to be able to use industry standard apps as well). So I need to have one machine running either Windows or OSX, and I don't really see Windows as option any more..

Honestly, after one week of only having a mac it's really getting on my nerves. I'm really missing package management and Gnome desktop. And all the programs I love to use. There is no good virtual desktop solutions around, and OSX has practically zero configuration options. Everybody who says Gnome lacks features probably has never used a mac :D

And I hate having to search around the net trying to find software to add the features I need, just to find out that even if there's anything available it's shareware and costs 20$, and I can't buy it anyway as I don't have a credit card (not that I would ever use one to buy software from some unknown one-man company).

Yes, there is command line. The file system just is quite different, and about half the commands I'm used to having are missing.

And yes, you can get apt-get on a mac, It's just that there isn't much you can actually install with it. Imagemagick was pretty much the only useful thing that was available as binary package.

All that said the iMac is very cool piece of hardware, and as soon as I get my laptop back to use for my everyday tasks I suppose I'll be happy to do my video editing with the mac. At least much happier than I would be if I'd be doing it with Windows Vista :D

I'd say get a mac if you need it for something you can't do with Linux. But if you are just going to run Linux you'd spend your money better getting a normal PC. Unless of course you like the look of mac machines enough to pay high price for it.

By the way, rsambuca, all new macs actually have a 5-button mouse. It just doesn't look like one ;)

rsambuca
September 26th, 2007, 11:58 PM
By the way, rsambuca, all new macs actually have a 5-button mouse. It just doesn't look like one ;)
Well that does it. Maybe I'll buy one then! :)

With regards to the virtual desktop solutions, look into Parallels. It is pretty cheap and allows you to run virtually any other OS inside of OSX.

lisati
September 27th, 2007, 12:01 AM
And the one button mouse is silly. I think every Mac user except Steve Jobs tosses it and buys a regular mouse!

What? Are they still shipping with one-button mice? I thought that idea had gone the way of dinosaurs!
I recently replaced the older two-button mouse on my old Win98 machine. On the rare occasion that I use the machine these days, I miss the scroll wheel/third button!

init1
September 27th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Might be cool I guess. I have an old mac, and I love it. Linux is cool, but I really like the feel of system 7. I have heard that newer macs can run older versions of macOS.

adamorjames
September 27th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I haven't seen a one button mouse in years! Anyways... go get the Mac man!

init1
September 27th, 2007, 12:37 AM

It is built on Unix
You can run virtually any OS on them now with bootcamp or parallels.

I still think they are a little bit overpriced, though. And the one button mouse is silly. I think every Mac user except Steve Jobs tosses it and buys a regular mouse!
What's wrong with a one button mouse? The system 7 interface doesn't require two buttons. I asume osx is that way too.

anemptygun
September 27th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Build yourself a pc and then put osx86 (check for compatibility before buying) it will be cheaper, but im biased : ) ---> That's what i did.

This is certainly possible as I have done it myself, put it's just a fun project. It will not run as fast or be as stable as buying a mac. If you really want a mac that bad, just go get a mac mini.

aimran
September 27th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Someone said along the lines of these:

A: Should I get a Mac?

B: NO... there are alternatives... blablabla...

A: But only the Mac has a tower integrated with a monitor!

Why ask the question in the first place? There aren't any other computers with integrated mobo+screen.

user1397
September 27th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Someone said along the lines of these:

Why ask the question in the first place? There aren't any other computers with integrated mobo+screen.o yes there are :) : Sony (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=16155) and HP (http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/computers/desktops/IQ770_series/rts/4/computer_store/RN635AA%2523ABA) both have one, there might be some other ones too...

aimran
September 27th, 2007, 01:02 AM
o yes there are :) : Sony (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=16155) and HP (http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/computers/desktops/IQ770_series/rts/4/computer_store/RN635AA%2523ABA) both have one, there might be some other ones too...

Then the right thing to do is tell him that there are these alternatives. Lets hear him say:

But it doesn't come with iLife/blablabla feature

mcduck
September 27th, 2007, 01:04 AM
What? Are they still shipping with one-button mice? I thought that idea had gone the way of dinosaurs!
I recently replaced the older two-button mouse on my old Win98 machine. On the rare occasion that I use the machine these days, I miss the scroll wheel/third button!

Like I already mentioned, the mac mouse is not a one-button mouse. Actually since 2005 every mouse shipped with iMacs and PowerMacs has had 5 buttons. It's just designed so you can't see the separate buttons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Mighty_Mouse

Acglaphotis
September 27th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I knew I'd get flamed :)
The one OS that you really can't run on any other platform is the OSX, that was my only point. There are hacks, but they don't work as well as the original.

Of course it works as well as the "original", it's the same thing, except for some apple-exclusive details, i can get better hardware and still run mac os x. It isn't a "hack", intel os x is built for x86, not just for Mac's hardware. Wheter they want you to run it on another system is an entirely different matter :lolflag:

bruce89
September 27th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Why subsidise a company which locks iPods to everyone but iTunes users?

Frak
September 27th, 2007, 01:34 AM
If you want a Mac, get one, I'll bet you'll love it. They may be a little pricey, but I own 3, and prefer them over any regular Windows Box. (I also have an osx86 box)

Iceni
September 27th, 2007, 01:36 AM
o yes there are :) : Sony (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=16155) and HP (http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/computers/desktops/IQ770_series/rts/4/computer_store/RN635AA%2523ABA) both have one, there might be some other ones too...

the Sony one was cool, but I can't buy the cool Sony stuff in Norway:(

rsambuca
September 27th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Of course it works as well as the "original", it's the same thing, except for some apple-exclusive details, Then that really isn't working as well as the original, is it? Not to mention the fact that it is illegal :)

Frak
September 27th, 2007, 01:48 AM
They have 5-button Pressure sensitive mice now.