PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft cutting Ultimate Extras?

Bungo Pony
September 26th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Looks like MS made an effort to rush out their video screensaver just to shut up angry people who were complaining. BTW, how long has that video screensaver been in KDE?

Here's the article:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137672-c,vistalonghorn/article.html

I love this quote:

"On a related note, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 even tries to hide the Ultimate Extras shame by removing much of the information in the Control Panel applet," Zheng wrote then.

Not true, said Goffe. "Our intent in making this change was simply to broaden the definition in anticipation of a broader range of Ultimate Extras being available in the future," he said on the blog. While he also said that Microsoft would ship additional add-ons, he didn't explicitly promise that Extras would continue.

I think it's funny how MS seemingly ran off with Ultimate users' money and then slagged off on living up to their promise. I can see them eventually eliminating the add-ons altogether.

LowSky
September 26th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Remember the old days when MS tried to sell Windows Plus. A extras program that gave uses more desktop options and screensavers.
I dont know anyone who bought it as you can just download all the stuff you want off hte internet.

I dont even understand why MS made so many flavors of Vista... there should only be 3.
Home (media center included)
Professional
Server

happysmileman
September 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I think it's funny how MS seemingly ran off with Ultimate users' money and then slagged off on living up to their promise. I can see them eventually eliminating the add-ons altogether.

Not altogether, just until Windows 7 comes out and they upgrade for the new features... Then they'll be removed until next release of Windows (by that time probably costing substantially more than the computer it runs on, which is saying a lot considering their hardware requirements trends)

phrostbyte
September 26th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Gnome can do it too, any screensaver can also be your wallpaper. You can also play a video using mplayer as a wallpaper. It's fairly pointless imo, but you can do it.

starcraft.man
September 26th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Ha! Serves the Ultimate folks right. They should have known better than to dump that extra cash for nothing.

Andrewie
September 26th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Hey, I spent 6 hours on a Vista Ultimate DVD. I demand that I get extras :lolflag: