PDA

View Full Version : I'm not bought.

Vadi
September 26th, 2007, 04:10 PM
No, really, I'm not bought by Dell's and HP's announcements that they're shipping Linux.

I go to dell.com, click on notebooks, select for home or office use. Ubuntu is nowhere on the page, so a usual Dell customer's chances of buying a ubuntu laptop are, well, very close to zero. Same thing does for the desktops.

Now, hp.com. Under operating system, both notebooks and desktops, no Ubuntu. Now, I was directed to the US version, and I remembered that the deal is in Australia. Oops, okay, lets go to HP australia then. I do see the following warning at the bottom:

"Not all Windows Vista features are available for use on all Windows Vista Capable PCs. All Windows Vista Capable PCs will run the core experiences of Windows Vista, such as innovations in organizing and finding information, security, and reliability. Some features available in premium editions of Windows Vista — like the new Windows Aero user interface — require advanced or additional hardware. Check www.windowsvista.com/getready for details."

But no Linux. Same chances of Linux being picked as the OS.

Really, while these announcements appeased the majority of the Linux community it seems, that's... all they did. Linux will not be bought more often now, because it's simply not advertised.

This article I read I strongly agree with (click (http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1462)).

What are you thoughts on the new offerings?

LowSky
September 26th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I've looked into buying a ubuntu machine from Dell, but after doing a price comparison with a Windows verison, I didn't see any price advantage (being ubuntu is free while vista is $150+)

Why would pay the same price for a ubuntu box as a windows box.

Also the Ubuntu boxes seem to be less powerful. It makes me think Dell is giving us left overs, that didn't sell as windows boxes...

I like what System76 is all about and would love to see more vendors like them but they dont even compete at Dell/HP/Apple prices so why would I buy them either?

aaaantoine
September 26th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Currently, under both the Desktop and Notebook drop-downs (once you get past the front page, that is), there is an option towards the bottom that says "Open-Source PCs"

Also, on the page that these link to, there's a warning saying, to paraphrase, "these are not Windows PCs". But on that page, there is a bit of informative text, and even a video (that I cannot hear at the moment).

I haven't looked at HP's Linux options, yet. Honestly, I just bought both a new desktop and a new laptop PC this year, so I'm out of shopping mode.

notwen
September 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I've looked into buying a ubuntu machine from Dell, but after doing a price comparison with a Windows verison, I didn't see any price advantage (being ubuntu is free while vista is $150+)

Why would pay the same price for a ubuntu box as a windows box.

Also the Ubuntu boxes seem to be less powerful. It makes me think Dell is giving us left overs, that didn't sell as windows boxes...

I like what System76 is all about and would love to see more vendors like them but they dont even compete at Dell/HP/Apple prices so why would I buy them either?

You can't expect people who do not even know what Ubuntu is to simply go to a OEM website and stumble upon it and think "Wow, I should try this MS Windows alterntaive." People who are interested in purchasing a pre-loaded Linux machine from a OEM would have enough knowledge to locate what they're looking for. Dell's website clearly offers 'Open Source' options.

I believe Dell has it to where you save around $50 buying a Ubuntu loaded PC over the Windows equivalent. Buying from HP/Dell at this point is more of making a statement than you getting a 'fair' deal. I personally bought a 1420n to let Dell know that some people -are- in the market for a pre-loaded Linux PC and that they, as a large OEM manufacturer, should look into offering Linux PCs to the masses.

As for why would you buy from System76, their support is far superior and they test their Ubuntu installations endlessly on their machines before selling them. You get what you pay for.

happy-and-lost
September 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I just ordered a new Dell Dimension 530, and the Ubuntu version of the machine with IDENTICAL hardware was almost £100 more than my Vista one. I'll install Ubuntu myself, thanks Dell ;)

rickyjones
September 26th, 2007, 05:15 PM
No OEM is going to allocate 100% of their resources to launch a product that only a small percentage of its userbase even recognizes. It doesn't make sense.

I love the treatment that Dell gets. People complain when they don't even offer Linux PCs. People complain when they do but not as extravagantly as a Windows PC.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Wonderful logic there.

-Richard

Technophobia
September 26th, 2007, 05:40 PM
How about the computer companies have a Ubuntu or Linux(Tux) logo on their site that takes up 1.37% of the screen. Then next to that a windows logo that takes up ~94% of the screen. Wouldn't this be fair? I'm following http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php for percentages and I do understand its not possible to count Linux users.

Lord Illidan
September 26th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Also, for new users Ubuntu is just not as good as Windows, I have to say. Some people are so locked into the windows mindset that it will take an exceptional OS to take them out. Ubuntu is not there yet, it's close, but not there yet.

bigbrovar
September 26th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I think the decision to ship Ubuntu by Dell is a step in the right direction although i most say that i had that problem when i wanted to buy a dell Ubuntu desktop..there was just nothing on their home page to suggest that they were selling Ubuntu..i had to use their search engine before i was able to see an Ubuntu pc..well i guess we just have to take this insult for now..cus boycotting dell's Ubuntu product would just rein enforce their error nous believe that a dell Ubuntu would not be marketable..but if the ubuntu line of dells products really does well i know we would make it to the front page..some day.very soon

Vadi
September 26th, 2007, 06:19 PM
No OEM is going to allocate 100% of their resources to launch a product that only a small percentage of its userbase even recognizes. It doesn't make sense.

I love the treatment that Dell gets. People complain when they don't even offer Linux PCs. People complain when they do but not as extravagantly as a Windows PC.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Wonderful logic there.

-Richard

I'll skip this post, you have no idea what are you talking about. "100%"? "Damned if they do, damned if they don't."? Sounds like you don't really care! Then please don't post if you don't care. Because, well, you don't!

As one person posted here though, and they knew they wanted a ubuntu beforehand, they would have had to pay more for their ubuntu. So unfortunately then, with windows being dumped (isn't that illegal in some places? I need to look that up) and is cheaper than ubuntu, what in the world is the point of getting one from dell in the first place :|

sr20ve
September 26th, 2007, 06:30 PM
You gotta give them credit for listening to their customer's and actually offering it on some of their systems.

It hasn't even been 6 months since they started offering Ubuntu, give them a break, there are still several small details they are trying to work out.

Guarantee if you try to buy Ubuntu on a Dell maybe a year from now, it will be much different. Just give it some time. If you can't wait, just buy a system76 or a Dell and put Ubuntu on there yourself.

notwen
September 26th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I just ordered a new Dell Dimension 530, and the Ubuntu version of the machine with IDENTICAL hardware was almost £100 more than my Vista one. I'll install Ubuntu myself, thanks Dell ;)

If you're referring to the Inspiron 530, here on the US site. the 530n+monitor's base price is $549 while the 530+monitor's base price comes out to be $699. I don't see any Dimensions even offered here on the US site. =]