PDA

View Full Version : S/w porting

m458
September 26th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Hi there,
I am asked to port any free source s/w from ubuntu to windows by my college professors... i checked out quite a lot of s/w but could not decide upon which to port.... I wish to port a s/w which is not available for windows and can have a wide variety of applications.... I m well familiar with c/c++ hence i wish to stick to that platform... can any one plz suggest some s/w that I can port?

thanks
regards

Lord Illidan
September 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I'd suggest Amarok but that's pretty big...

mostwanted
September 26th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I have no idea what at what level of proficiencyyou are, but I don't think gedit has a Windows port.

n3tfury
September 26th, 2007, 01:40 PM
boy if you would do a windows>Linux port i'd say Foobar by far. :( DARNIT

Lord Illidan
September 26th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I have no idea what at what level of proficiencyyou are, but I don't think gedit has a Windows port.

Good idea.. It's also easier than Amarok since there are no engines to be worried about.

igknighted
September 26th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Good idea.. It's also easier than Amarok since there are no engines to be worried about.

I'd say mousepad would be easier... gedit probably has gnome dependencies. Plus with programs like notepad++ and scite already out there for windows, I don't really see the need.

As for amarok, this is already being ported as the KDE apps as a whole move cross-platform.

Another thought might be wget... I've never heard of such a thing for windows (then again I don't use windows), and I think it would be really useful. Even if you built a GUI for it.

m458
September 27th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks for so many responses guys
wget for is avilable windows ... yea gedit is easy to port but we hv notepad++ for windows... I am still hunting...any more ideas??

Johnsie
September 27th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I use wget for windows quite alot when I'm on windows boxes. Maybe some cd burning software to compete with nero. The problem with Windows is that there is already a program to to most tasks. The Windows software market is very crowded because so many devleopers use Windows. I've found that the programs I've devloped for Linux have had a higher uptake, simply because there are more gaps inn the market when it comes to Linux software.

I've been trying to get people to port the racing game in my sig to Linux for some time and hope someday someone will do it.

ahaslam
September 28th, 2007, 07:14 AM
I know nothing about porting, but Transmission has ports for most platforms other than Windows. I know Windows must have loads of torrent clients, but does it have such a simple, uncluttered one?

Edit - from their forum:

There's definitely not too much *nix-specific code, since the backend builds on mingw. All it needs is for someone port it.
;)

Polygon
September 28th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Exaile
revelation password manager
tomboy (uses Mono, so you can use .NET framework)

mips
September 28th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Something like yakuake ?

m458
September 29th, 2007, 05:08 AM
I was thinking to port AdvanceComp .. its got no windows port... its written in C/C++ ... what say???