PDA

View Full Version : One problem with emacs...

jfinkels
September 26th, 2007, 01:54 AM
One problem with emacs is that frequent pressing of the <Ctrl>+<X> combination leads to accidental pressing of the <Ctrl>+<Z> combination from time to time, which, as we all know, stops the current job in the terminal. A minor inconvenience as all I have to do is type "%1" to get the job back into the foreground, but an inconvenience nonetheless.

thisllub
September 26th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I have been using Linux for nearly 10 years and didn't know that.

It hardly ever happens to me (I use Vim) but thanks for posting.

macogw
September 26th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Or its propencity to consume >50% of CPU... yesterday in class a kid's emacs stopped and notice popped up telling him to stop using it because he was hogging resources. I know who stopped the process and sent the notice. He said "his emacs was raping hobbes. it was using 59% CPU and running for 98 hours!" Hobbes is the name of the server.

ButteBlues
September 26th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Or its propencity to consume >50% of CPU... yesterday in class a kid's emacs stopped and notice popped up telling him to stop using it because he was hogging resources. I know who stopped the process and sent the notice. He said "his emacs was raping hobbes. it was using 59% CPU and running for 98 hours!" Hobbes is the name of the server.
This is not an Emacs bashing thread. If you want to help the OP with his issue, do so. Otherwise, just don't post in this thread.

One problem with emacs is that frequent pressing of the <Ctrl>+<X> combination leads to accidental pressing of the <Ctrl>+<Z> combination from time to time, which, as we all know, stops the current job in the terminal. A minor inconvenience as all I have to do is type "%1" to get the job back into the foreground, but an inconvenience nonetheless.

One of the best things you can ever do is assign the CapsLock key to function as an extra Control key - for one, it stops accidentally going into all-caps mode, and secondly, it's a lot less awkward than using the Control key (not to mention accurate).

Oh, and just as a matter of interest, keybindings in Emacs are referred to like so:

C-x C-f foo.rb RET
C-z RET
M-x emacs-version RET

etc.