PDA

View Full Version : Shoot for the stars, you might hit the moon.

TravisNewman
August 11th, 2005, 04:53 AM
http://www.betanews.com/article/AntiMS_Group_Aims_to_Block_Vista/1123614377

That's crazy. It won't work, but it might make a better Windows, just because of the public scrutiny.

BWF89
August 11th, 2005, 05:05 AM
no company in America gets away with selling a "defective" product the way Microsoft does.
Exactly.

TristanMike
August 11th, 2005, 05:18 AM
http://www.betanews.com/article/AntiMS_Group_Aims_to_Block_Vista/1123614377

That's crazy. It won't work, but it might make a better Windows, just because of the public scrutiny.Probably true but you never know what one person could do. We could only dream. :)

I liked this tho.

"Bill Gates sells the public defective products, and then expects us to spend years being his guinea pigs, while he corrects the myriad of defects and vulnerabilities in his defective code. This is mass consumer fraud." Martin argued.

drizek
August 11th, 2005, 05:53 AM
holy crap, i agree with a republican. that guy should jsut be glad hes not running for office in washington state, lol.

weasel fierce
August 11th, 2005, 06:23 AM
As radical left wing as I am, I must admit this guy is on to something...

Ubunted
August 11th, 2005, 06:39 AM
As much as I hate MS, I just have to label this guy as just another clueless politician. There is no such thing as an OS - ANY OS - that is ever free of security vulnerabilities after months and even years of tweaking and fixing, let alone a new release. Vulnerabilities and patches are a part of modern software - there's just no getting around it. If Microsoft took the time to fix every hole in the software on every hardware platform it advertises compatibility with, Vista would NEVER hit the shelves.

drizek
August 11th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Vista would NEVER hit the shelves.

i dont think hes clueless, hes done tech-lawsuites before according to the article. also, is vista never hitting store shelves really a bad thing? ;-)

gylf
August 11th, 2005, 01:37 PM
no company in America gets away with selling a "defective" product the way Microsoft does.

Exactly.

Really? Ever taken your car into the dealer due to a recall? My buddy just sent his coffee pot back to Bunn because they discovered its a fire hazard. Ever see those weight loss pill ads (that obviously don't work)? Or used the limited warranty on a computer part?

Every major company in America gets away with selling defective products, because its a natural phenomina of a mass-producing society. Its if the company knows or should have known the product is defective and they still choose to market it... that's when there should be legal action.

My guess: if they can actually prove microsoft knew windows had security vulnerabilities when it shipped, they might have a chance. MS waives all the warranties (I'm sure) in the license in lieu of a limited express warranty, so unless they can prove actual culpability there's no case here and it'll amount to nothing but a publicity stunt.

krusbjorn
August 11th, 2005, 09:30 PM
That's crazy. It won't work, but it might make a better Windows, just because of the public scrutiny.

I agree. It's crazy, It wll never succeed, and i dont know if i agree with him. But i do think that resistance is a good thing.

It's more or less like in court. The lawyer says things that are totally crazy, and so does the prosecutor. But eventually, they often end up somewhere in between. In the treetops.