PDA

View Full Version : GAIM Instant Messaging -- appearing offline to some?

mlanza
September 25th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I am using GAIM Instant Messenger which comes with Ubuntu. I don't want to wade through all the FAQ/help. I have a couple simple questions.

1. Say I start chatting with someone. Now I don't want to be bothered by anyone else. Do I just set my status to "Offline" or "Invisible"? And doing so won't affect my current conversation, right? Basically, I'm trying to effectively disable "call waiting". I don't want other people trying to chat with me once I'm actively chatting with someone. In fact I don't even want other people knowing I'm there.

I'm assuming that once you establish a chat with someone, changing your status won't break off the current session.

2. What's the easiest way to make myself appear offline to everyone except for the one person with whom I want to chat?

Thanks.

cmmike1
September 25th, 2007, 10:30 PM
start a chat with the person and change your status to "invisible" and you will be invisible to everyone but the person you are talking to. you will be able to talk to other people if you are invisible but they won't see that you are online.

mlanza
September 25th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Thank you... I'll try that.