PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about RAID...

Sporkman
September 25th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Anybody here use a RAID scheme?

I find RAID 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID_1#RAID_1) appealing, due to the plain old data redundancy.

I also see that there's both software & hardware-based RAIDs (for example, see system76's server options).

Are RAIDs easy or difficult to implement in Ubuntu?

starcraft.man
September 25th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I was never much interested in RAID, too much bother. Most of my back ups are to DVDs (single and recently dual) and then dropped in a nice air tight protector. In addition, I especially don't like software RAID.

IMO, the only RAID solution I'd recommend for people given what I know is a hardware RAID 5 (mild performance and good redundancy) set up. The optimum solution would be an external NAS using RAID 5 that's equipped with Gigabit ethernet, I'm pretty sure they are still pretty pricey though.

tszanon
September 25th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I use 2 disks in soft-RAID 0. Never ever had a problem.
Yes, I backup frequently. :)

Performance under heavy access is better. Under normal use, performance is just a little better. But the risk of losing everything is doubled, and that's something many people want to avoid.

If you have the money, RAID 5 would be the best option.

Compucore
September 25th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I had used raid only in setup of servers mainly to make sure that the dta was protected in case of something bad should happen with a single disk. I am thinking myself of eventually going to raid over here. But it will be with a server like machine and ue it for my main machine. I usually back up to to tape over here. I have a 12/24 gig tape back up that I use from time to time to back up the data that I ned from there. On a SCSI-2 ecternal tape. If you really need something like a raid system on a computer is for a server for raid 5.

Compucore

thisllub
September 25th, 2007, 09:44 PM
It is essential for business.
It can take all day to restore a few hundred GB of data.