PDA

View Full Version : Amazon has DRM free music store?

igknighted
September 25th, 2007, 04:31 PM
http://amazon.com/b/ref=sa_menu_dmusic1/102-8223340-0055368?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=163856011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-nav-1&pf_rd_r=0SWRZ99TSZ48NN6KWFD6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=304476501&pf_rd_i=507846

Since when has this been the case?

LaRoza
September 25th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Since when has this been the case?

It says beta, so not long.

tikal26
September 25th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I think that it is brand new. I read in gizmodo that it just launched today and it is in beta. As far as I know they have music from Indie labels, Universal and EMI, and they don;t have them all yet, but should soon. I am having a hard time searching for specific artist, but I am sure they will fix this. I am happy about this since it shows that we are moving in the right direction when it comes to music and now I have a store Ic anuse inside Linux even though I am havinig a hard time using Konqueror, I'll try firefox later.

Ok it seems that it was not a konqueror problem
If you use Linux, you can currently buy individual songs. A Linux version of the Amazon MP3 Downloader is under development, and when released will allow entire album purchases

Sunflower1970
September 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
This looks promising. I know I'd use it (if I can find songs I want...)

Glad to see they're going to make a Linux version of the installer as well for albums.

adamklempner
September 25th, 2007, 06:38 PM
As soon as the Linux program is available I'll buy a few albums. $8 each for mp3 albums encoded at 256kbps VBR is a good deal.

kteagan84
September 25th, 2007, 06:42 PM
This looks nice. I may use it for downloading mainstream music, since I use eMusic and Magnatune for everything else.

I also like the first graphic, which truly explains that the music is completely DRM-free. It has an ipod, zune, rio player, etc etc all down the line... kind of a cool marketing ploy.

p_quarles
September 25th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I've been waiting for this since they announced the plans back in June (I think). I'm glad to see that they've made good on the DRM-free promise.

tikal26
September 25th, 2007, 07:37 PM
The ideal wouod be for them to create some kind of API and let the developers of players like Amarok integrate it on their platfrom. It seems to be based on web technologies so it would not be too hard.

blockcipher
September 26th, 2007, 07:43 AM
If you use Linux, you can currently buy individual songs. A Linux version of the Amazon MP3 Downloader is under development, and when released will allow entire album purchases

I tried downloading individual songs and I was getting the AMZ files instead of the mp3...can someone else verify this? Or are you getting mp3 files? I'm using Firefox

JacobRogers
September 26th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Wow this looks promising. I hope this last.

JacobRogers
September 26th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I tried downloading individual songs and I was getting the AMZ files instead of the mp3...can someone else verify this? Or are you getting mp3 files? I'm using Firefox

Amazon FAQ
The first time you purchase from Amazon MP3, you may be prompted to open or save an .amz file if you have the Amazon MP3 Downloader installed. This file activates the Amazon MP3 Downloader and initiates downloading your MP3 song files. Be sure to select "Open" when prompted.

bash
September 26th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I think its a really nice move from Amazon. And the best thing is that a DRM free song at 256 kbps cost .89 $ or 10 cents less than the DRM protected one over at the Apple store.

And as suggested the idea of integrating the store into music players would be great. If anybody has the time and patience I would suggest they write an Email to this address explaining the Idea to Amazon:

amazonmp3-feedback@amazon.com

Spr0k3t
September 26th, 2007, 11:12 AM
DRM Free you say. 256KBit VBR you say. Linux support you say. I think I found a reason to purchase music once again. They even offer some of my favorite indie Artists.

mmmm Carl Cox, John Digweed, PvD, & Armand Van Heldon master mix by DJ RIB. Yummy! Been looking for that one. Looks like I'll need to wait though...

A Linux version of the Amazon MP3 Downloader is under development, and when released will allow entire album purchases.

Lord Illidan
September 26th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Good..Hope they get it soon!

rutty
September 26th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah, just been looking into this and was wondering about a Linux client.

I'll download a few albums from work later (XP laptop) and see how that works when I save them on my Ubuntu box

They have all the Pink Floyd albums I want and who knows what else! Come on!

forrestcupp
September 26th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Sweet. I've been waiting a long time for this. Some people actually want to legally buy music, but just not get rear-ended.

jrusso2
September 26th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I hope the put iTunes out of business or at least get them to remove DRM

madscientist
September 27th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I bought a few albums from Amazon (M.I.A.'s new one, and Venus Hum's new one) using my wife's XP laptop last night and it works fine; the resulting files are very good quality mp3s with no restrictions, and they play great on my Linux box. They even include small and large jpg's of the cover art!

When o when will they provide Linux support for purchasing albums?!?! Must have it.

This is my new favorite music site: sorry Rhapsody. Of course Rhapsody does streaming music that works fine with Linux, and Amazon doesn't, so I'll still use Rhapsody. But, you can't buy ANYTHING from Rhapsody on Linux and if you buy on Windows it comes as a DRM'd realplayer file that I haven't been able to get working on Linux. So, to buy albums from Rhapsody I had to purchase them on my wife's laptop, then burn them to CD, then rip the CD on my Linux box to get rid of the DRM. Bleah.

I'd say... yep... I'm pretty sure Amazon's method is better =D>

p_quarles
September 27th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Anyone try getting the downloader working with Wine? I'll give it a go later today, and will report back.

madscientist
September 27th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Hah! I was JUST trying this with Crossover. It installs just fine but when I try to start it, nothing appears on my screen (although the wineserver and AmazonMP3Downloader app are running and sucking down CPU time).

It might be the downloader tool expects to be invoked from a browser, and doesn't like to be run stand-alone; when I get home tonight I can try launching it stand-alone on my wife's XP system and see what happens.

I'm not sure how to convince Linux FireFox to run the Wine application when it tries to invoke the download tool. And, Amazon pretty much says that if something bad happens during download and you don't get your music, you have to file a support case and they will maybe help you, if they're in a good mood. I don't know if I want to risk $8 x how many tries it might take to get this right.

Of course, I could try running IE inside wine, or even installing FireFox in my Wine bottle and doing it all from in there. That might work.

k99goran
September 27th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Looks really nice. All that's missing is a lossless alternative and it could replace CD's. Great initiative!

aidanr
September 27th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Yep this is great, bought a few tracks last night. Bit of a pain buying tracks individually without the downloader but hopefully that'll come soon. I know what I'll be recommending to friends and family from now on. :)

bash
September 27th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Agree. Would be a nice feature. Suggest it to Amazon. Provided the Amazon e-mail address in my previous post in this thread.

bobbybobington
September 28th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Finally a decent music service!!! :guitar::guitar::guitar:

fluteflute
September 28th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Its been around for less than a week - US inly unfortunately. :(

aidanr
September 28th, 2007, 07:58 PM
US inly unfortunately. :(

I just put in some random US zip code and it worked fine

forrestcupp
September 28th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I hope the put iTunes out of business or at least get them to remove DRM

Actually, they are copying iTunes. iTunes had DRM free music before Amazon. It's just that they can only offer music from the labels they have negotiated that deal with.

There are still a lot of mainstream artists that aren't available DRM free.

bruce89
September 29th, 2007, 12:04 AM
256KBit VBR you say.

Still not lossless. I just don't get what's wrong with CDs, at least you can use what format you want with them. I supppose it's all instant gratification these days.

forrestcupp
September 29th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Still not lossless. I just don't get what's wrong with CDs, at least you can use what format you want with them. I supppose it's all instant gratification these days.

The advantage is that you can buy the songs you like.

madscientist
October 2nd, 2007, 11:50 PM
Still not lossless. I just don't get what's wrong with CDs, at least you can use what format you want with them. I supppose it's all instant gratification these days.In addition to forrestcupp's point, it's a bit more eco-friendly to go 100% digital. Even if you burn your own CD for safekeeping you still save the jewel case (I have so many CD's that I have to get rid of all my jewel cases anyway), plus whatever other packaging there might be. Plus the gas it takes to drive to the record store!! :wink:

Not to mention, the digital albums are usually a few dollars (at least) cheaper.

chudder
October 6th, 2007, 12:01 AM
This is awesome, I've already purchased several songs. I like this because there are some CDs that have only one song on them that I want and I don't want to spend money for all of it I'm only going to listen to one track. Thanx for the word.

gn2
October 6th, 2007, 03:07 AM
I prefer mp3sparks.com

Choices of bitrates are available and the tracks can be easily downloaded with Firefox add-on DownThemAll

Pricing is very different to Amazon.

Incense
October 6th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Can anyone confirm if the client works under WINE? Some albums are > $6 if you just buy the individual tracks. I'm sure I can run it fine under V-Box, but WINE would be a lot faster.

aidanr
October 6th, 2007, 03:33 AM
I prefer mp3sparks.com

Choices of bitrates are available and the tracks can be easily downloaded with Firefox add-on DownThemAll

Pricing is very different to Amazon.

Mp3sparks is Allofmp3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allofmp3#Legal_issues) renamed, it's not legal. That's the point of Amazon, you can legally buy drm free music, and the artists get paid. If you're gonna download illegally just do it off bittorrent, what's the point in paying for illegal music?

gn2
October 6th, 2007, 10:33 AM
what's the point in paying for illegal music?

It's not illegal for 1 and for 2 it's reliable and good quality.

madscientist
October 8th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Can anyone confirm if the client works under WINE? Some albums are > $6 if you just buy the individual tracks. I'm sure I can run it fine under V-Box, but WINE would be a lot faster.I haven't tried it with native WINE, but I tried it with the just-released Crossover 6.2 and it doesn't work :(

The application will open, but as soon as you try to do anything (even just select a menu item) it immediately goes away again.

Incense
October 8th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I haven't tried it with native WINE, but I tried it with the just-released Crossover 6.2 and it doesn't work :(

The application will open, but as soon as you try to do anything (even just select a menu item) it immediately goes away again.

Guess it's time to start the emails. Amazon could have a really good thing going if they release a native Linux client. Then they would have a market that iTunes can't even touch.

p_quarles
October 8th, 2007, 07:11 PM
It says on their web site that they're already working on one. Bugging them about it won't hurt, though.

Incense
October 8th, 2007, 07:35 PM
It says on their web site that they're already working on one. Bugging them about it won't hurt, though.

Must have missed that. Good to know though.

madscientist
October 9th, 2007, 02:21 PM
It says on their web site that they're already working on one. Bugging them about it won't hurt, though.I wish I could figure out how to bug them. They're very good at not providing any obvious way to make a request like that :(

cstudent
October 9th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I wish I could figure out how to bug them. They're very good at not providing any obvious way to make a request like that :(

I used the feedback link on the left of the main mp3 page.

bash
October 9th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I wish I could figure out how to bug them. They're very good at not providing any obvious way to make a request like that :(

Maybe read the thread before you post in it ;)

Here I posted their feedback email address back on page 2. For the lazy heres even a direct link to the post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3428716&postcount=12

madscientist
October 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I tried downloading individual songs and I was getting the AMZ files instead of the mp3...can someone else verify this? Or are you getting mp3 files? I'm using FirefoxI had the same problem on my FireFox at work, but things worked OK from my FireFox at home (both running Ubuntu Feisty). I asked Amazon about it and here is the answer I got (paraphrased), which I have since confirmed to be correct:

There is a cookie stored in your browser that indicates that it can accept AMZ files (that it has the Amazon MP3 Downloader installed). I'm not sure how this cookie is set, since obviously we DON'T have it installed, but I suppose if you click away at the download button (I did this to get a copy so I could try it in Crossover--but it didn't work) then you'll get it.

All you have to do is go to the Edit -> Preferences dialog and click the "Privacy" tab, then click "Show Cookies". In the cookie maintenance window open the "amazon.com" entry and remove the dmusic_download_manager_enabled cookie.

Now you should get MP3's when you download instead of AMZ's \\:D/. Remember to not try downloading the MP3 Downloader again, or if you do be sure to delete the cookie again.

madscientist
December 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM
In case anyone here didn't see my post on the other Amazon MP3 thread, I got the downloader working with Wine (not perfectly, by any stretch, but enough to download albums etc.) and wrote a script to make it simpler. You can find info on it right here. (http://mad-scientist.us/amazon.html)

Have fun!