PDA

View Full Version : Linux Better at Power Managemeng Then It Knows?

Naralas
September 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM
My battery said 5 minutes remaining for about 10 minutes before it went to 6 minutes. Now it took about 3 or 4 to go down back to 6.

It seemed to be going down, 5 then 4. But now it's back up to 6 minutes.

How long will my 5 minute battery last? We are coming up on 15 minutes I think... and the time has gone up... twice.

Naralas
September 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Replying to "post made 7 minutes ago"

I still have 6 minutes remaining... oh... 5 now... still...

mridkash
September 25th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I've noticed it too!

On windows, the battery icon shows 10%, then after 2 seconds 5%, then it hibernates.

On linux, it stays at 10% for a minute or so.

I dont know why but my laptop runs slow slower slooower as battery goes down.
Its strange!

Have you noticed it!

Taino
September 25th, 2007, 04:57 PM
As laptop batteries age they lose something called "conditioning" or what is more commonly known as "its charge/recharge memory", to help keep your battery in tip top shape for the longest time its a good idea to completely discharge and recharge your battery a few times per month, just unplug your power cord and run your laptop till the battery is dead but be sure you save your work before it shuts off on you, then plug the power back in and charge up fully again while you continue working on things.

Do this a few times a month to preserve the life of the battery and to keep its charge lasting about the same amount of time everytime your laptop is running on the battery, but know that over time your battery will age and start losing charge capacity and last less and less time until it finally wont charge up at all and you'll need to replace it.

I find that Ubuntu is more accurate and consistent in display the batteries strength toward the end of its charge, i run Xubuntu and when it says 10% battery life left i quickly save whatever im working on and by 8% or so i get the first warning that my battery is about to die, then i get the second warning at about 5% or so, then moments later my comp shuts down.

Windows XP on the other hand has given me a low battery warning at 12% to 10% then while ive been quickly saving my work it shuts down on me all of a sudden, so now i know to save my work on Windows XP when i still have about 20% battery life.

I think Linux may be more precise on monitoring battery life left, just my experience with things. :KS