PDA

View Full Version : Dapper & Feisty: What's the difference?

suupaabaka
September 25th, 2007, 02:34 PM
There seems to be a faction of the Ubuntu community that still swears by Dapper Drake. I was just wondering if you guys could enlighten me on how it differs from Feisty. Does it have a different feel altogether? Why is Dapper more stable than Feisty? What's with the whole LTS thing and why aren't all distros LTS?

Thanks in advance!

gautada
September 25th, 2007, 02:41 PM
View the release notes (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes)

mcduck
September 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM
The only difference between LTS releases and normal Ubuntu releases is that LTS releases have longer support time, making them fit better in the typical business environment where updating software isn't too easy of a task everything needs to be checked and tested before it can be done. LTS release allows them to run the same environment for longer time, of course with the cost of a bit outdated software.

What comes to difference between Dapper and Feisty, it's basically 1 year worth of software development, which is a long time in OSS world. Later release brings more up-to-date software and better hardware support.

For more precise information about differences between the release notes, like gautada said.

Nano Geek
September 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM
LTS means that they spent extra time making Dapper Drake extra stable, and it's also going to be supported longer that Feisty Fawn is. Some people still use DD because they like the extra stability.

suupaabaka
September 25th, 2007, 02:53 PM
View the release notes (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes)

That still doesn't really answer my questions. Thank you for the link, though.

John.Michael.Kane
September 25th, 2007, 04:20 PM
There seems to be a faction of the Ubuntu community that still swears by Dapper Drake. I was just wondering if you guys could enlighten me on how it differs from Feisty. Does it have a different feel altogether? Why is Dapper more stable than Feisty? What's with the whole LTS thing and why aren't all distros LTS?

Thanks in advance!

There was a testing process leading to Dapper Drake eg: Breezy, and those versions before it. This allowed for it to be classed as LTS or ready for deployment across production systems/servers workstations business environments etc. Where the only updates that would be needed in the environment are security in nature.

Edgy/Feisty/Gutsy Is viewed as a testing platform for new technologies/software etc. Thus the shorter cycle.

In theory you can look at Edgy,Feisty, and Gutsy as the framework leading to LTS status.

The bottom line users only needing security updates would use a LTS , As well as those who are willing to compile their own updated software.

Those users needing or wanting the newest versions of xyz program without the need to compile will use one of the 6month releases.

suupaabaka
September 26th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Thank you! Those answers were very concise and easy to understand. I think I'll stick with Feisty etc... checking out what happens after every update is titillating ;)

Lord Illidan
September 26th, 2007, 12:31 AM
There's a new LTS coming in some 8 months, Hardy Heron. I am one of those users who upgrade to every new release, although I understand that many users like the "If it ain't broken, don't fix it mentality of Dapper".